Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Six Swing States - States' purges of voter rolls appear illegal?

Page: 1 of 1
 Yar-El
10-09-2008, 11:19 AM
States' purges of voter rolls appear illegal (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27093919/)
Actions apparently the result of mistakes in complying with 2002 law

Those headlines say it all. Here are some article quotes -
Tens of thousands of eligible voters in at least six swing states have been removed from the rolls or have been blocked from registering in ways that appear to violate federal law, according to a review of state records and Social Security data by The New York Times.

The actions do not seem to be coordinated by one party or the other, nor do they appear to be the result of election officials intentionally breaking rules, but are apparently the result of mistakes in the handling of the registrations and voter files as the states tried to comply with a 2002 federal law, intended to overhaul the way elections are run.

In Michigan, some 33,000 voters were removed from the rolls in August, a figure that is far higher than the number of deaths in the state during the same period — about 7,100 — or the number of people who moved out of the state — about 4,400, according to data from the Postal Service.

In Colorado, some 37,000 people were removed from the rolls in the three weeks after July 21. During that time, about 5,100 people moved out of the state and about 2,400 died, according to postal data and death records.

In Louisiana, at least 18,000 people were dropped from the rolls in the five weeks after July 23. Over the same period, at least 1,600 people moved out of state and at least 3,300 died.

I knew this election was going to be messy. Thoughts?
 Astor
10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
At least this isn't Obama's fault. :lol:

Looks like a simple mistake. But then again, over 60,000 people losing information is hard to justifiy as a mistake.
 Inyri
10-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Mistakes happen, but this is kinda like a big mistake. They should correct it ASAP.

I hope they didn't touch Illinois. I'd hate to be surprised when I went to vote, since it sounds like from the article that these poor folks haven't even been notified that they'll be illegible to vote. >.>
 Web Rider
10-09-2008, 12:03 PM
We've all been talking about what would make a riot happen during or after the election? It won't be if a candidate isn't picked, it'll be something like this. Lots of people waiting in line for hours, depending on the weather a month from now, that could be pretty aggravating. Then you get to your polls and you're not registered anymore? All it takes is for one guy to start riling up the crowd over the State not letting people vote and you'll have a riot real fast.

In any case, it's too late to register, at least here in California, so I don't know what's going to happen, I guess these people just won't get to vote.
 GarfieldJL
10-09-2008, 2:42 PM
Great, now they have to sort out which of those voters are legitimate and which people have died since then.

Though that's not the real problem which has even hit my home state now, Voter Registration Fraud.
 Tommycat
10-10-2008, 7:09 AM
I hope they didn't touch Illinois. I'd hate to be surprised when I went to vote, since it sounds like from the article that these poor folks haven't even been notified that they'll be illegible to vote. >.>

um... I want to mention something about Illinois and voter fraud and all that, but I think if you don't know by now it's probably not worth mentioning....

At any rate, The numbers also don't include the number of new felons etc... I highly doubt that it reaches the high level of those numbers, but... I mean it could be numerous reasons that a person gets removed from the voter rolls. Duplicate names in multiple counties, Stolen identities... People that shouldn't have been registerred in the first place(illegal immigrant, felon, um dead, not old enough, a pet, etc). So the mistake may be bad, but it may not be as bad as it sounds.
 Tyrion
10-10-2008, 7:44 AM
In any case, it's too late to register, at least here in California, so I don't know what's going to happen, I guess these people just won't get to vote.

Actually, you have until the 20th to register in California. (http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm)
Page: 1 of 1