Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsaber Crystals

Page: 1 of 1
 Star Admiral
10-07-2008, 4:05 AM
Hello everyone,

I just finished playing KOTOR2 in August, and after replaying it once again, I decided to take up modding myself.

My question is, how do you make it so that you can create lightsaber upgrade crystals on a workbench? I have no trouble at all in creating my own items and making them creatable on the workbench, even custom lightsabers and color crystals, but whenever I add in the upgrade crystals, they just don't show up, even when my character has more than enough skill points and components to make them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Star Admiral
 RedHawke
10-08-2008, 2:28 AM
It has been a while so bear with me here, but I do believe your upgrade crystals/parts need to have an entry in upgrade.2da for them to appear as upgrades for weapons, armor, or sabers.
 Star Admiral
10-08-2008, 3:26 PM
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say is that how do I actually create the crystal itself on the workbench. If I add the crystal to my inventory using KSE or giveitem, I can upgrade a lightsaber with it, but I can't make the crystal itself using a workbench. I've double-checked both itemcreate.2da and itemcreatemira.2da, but nothing obvious comes up.

In any case, thanks for the reply, I'll check another mod made by someone else to see how they did it.

- Star Admiral
 TriggerGod
10-08-2008, 6:00 PM
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say is that how do I actually create the crystal itself on the workbench. If I add the crystal to my inventory using KSE or giveitem, I can upgrade a lightsaber with it, but I can't make the crystal itself using a workbench. I've double-checked both itemcreate.2da and itemcreatemira.2da, but nothing obvious comes up.

In any case, thanks for the reply, I'll check another mod made by someone else to see how they did it.

- Star Admiral

Not sure if its your problem, but did you remember to click another row in your 2da file? I know I didn't know about that when I first started 2da editing. :¬:
 Darth Kalverys
10-08-2008, 6:05 PM
I think that I may know what your problem may be, but don't quote me on it, cause I'm not a hundred percent sure, but if I remember correctly (I don't have TSL anymore, I lost it) then the game may be registering an upgrade crystal from the work bench as a color crystal. I'd take a look at that and if it's the problem, I believe that it'd just be a simple script that could fix the problem. (But like I said, don't quote me or hold me to it, it's been a while since I've been able to mod K2)
 RedHawke
10-09-2008, 1:38 AM
Be sure you check your level requirement and alignment requirements as well in the two itemcreate.2da files, if you set your crystal to only appear for lightsiders and you are dark it won't show up, likewise if you set the level to 20 you won't be able to make the crystal until you are level 20, etc.

I hope that helps... ;)
 Star Admiral
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry about all the trouble, it was a mixture of two problems. I accidentally set the alignment category to DS and I'm always a LS player and I misspelled u_l_crys_18 as u_l_cryst_18. Strange that my eye just didn't pick that up.

Thanks for the help!

- Star Admiral
 Darth Payne
10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Are you going to release this?

It sounds interesting, and i'm always interested in new saber crystals.
 Star Admiral
10-10-2008, 2:11 AM
Release it? I hadn't thought of that. I just wanted to add more upgrade crystals for my own game, since the crystals in the game had rather miserable stats and the types available numbered much less than the list in Wookiepedia, for example.

Sure, why not? When I can figure out how to create some of my own graphics for the new crystals, use the TSL Patcher, and add the crystals to the random loot, I'll do so.

Speaking of which, could someone help point me the right direction for adding items to the game's random loot? I've started to make my own scripts for spawning placeable objects, but my knowledge is still rather limited.

Thanks a bunch!

- Star Admiral
 RedHawke
10-10-2008, 3:26 AM
Sorry about all the trouble, it was a mixture of two problems. I accidentally set the alignment category to DS and I'm always a LS player and I misspelled u_l_crys_18 as u_l_cryst_18. Strange that my eye just didn't pick that up.
Its the little things that mess you up. ;)

Glad you got it sorted.
 DarthParametric
10-10-2008, 4:55 AM
When I can figure out how to create some of my own graphics for the new crystals, use the TSL Patcher, and add the crystals to the random loot, I'll do so.Crystal icons should be pretty straight forward. Getting TSLPatcher to install it shouldn't prove too much of a hurdle. Have a read of the included PDF and browse some of the tutorials around. Getting it to edit 2DAs is relatively straight forward once you wrap your head around how it works.

Speaking of which, could someone help point me the right direction for adding items to the game's random loot? I've started to make my own scripts for spawning placeable objects, but my knowledge is still rather limited.Bit beyond me, but a quick browse would suggest that the k_plc_treas_xxx.ncs series of scripts would be a good starting point. You might want to check out the Ultimate Saber Mod (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Ultimate_Saber_Mod;73530) and see how they did it.
 Star Admiral
10-11-2008, 1:47 PM
I just need a few pointers for setting up the crystal properties. In terms of damage types, what exactly is Universal damage? Does it do damage in all categories, i.e., sonic, energy, fire, etc, or is it a unique type of damage that can't be shielded against?

And a quick clarification on the Unstoppable damage. It basically means that if the hit succeeds, nothing can protect against this damage, right?

Thanks for the help!

- Star Admiral
 RedHawke
10-12-2008, 2:00 AM
In terms of damage types, what exactly is Universal damage? Does it do damage in all categories, i.e., sonic, energy, fire, etc, or is it a unique type of damage that can't be shielded against?
I haven't messed with universal damage as I personally favor unstoppable, but your assessment would seem to be a good one. You might need to experiment a little and see what this one does. (Or someone who has used it can post here and confirm/deny this.)

And a quick clarification on the Unstoppable damage. It basically means that if the hit succeeds, nothing can protect against this damage, right?
Unstoppable is the damage type of disruptor's, and it can't be stopped by any shielding or protection, other than blaster deflection.

I personally like this weapon damage type. ;)

'NO disintegrations!' :vadar: 'As you wish.' :fett:
 Star Admiral
10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Okay, I'm nearly done with modifying the lightsaber crystals. All of the 27 existing upgrade power crystals were enhanced or had their attributes altered to better match what they are described to have. In addition, I created 10 new crystals. If I can figure out how to put them into the random loot, I will script it in, otherwise, all crystals can be created on the workbench.

However, I need some suggestions on possible attributes for four of the crystals. The Eralam and Ultima Pearl crystals are already in the game, but I can't find any information on whether their attributes are correct. I want each crystal to be special in a way, as opposed to simply have some generic damage applied. The Krayt Dragon Pearl and Rainbow Gemstone are two new ones that also need new attributes. If anyone has a suggestion, please help!

- Star Admiral
 Darth Payne
10-13-2008, 6:56 AM
An LS version of the Qixoni crystal?
 DarthParametric
10-13-2008, 7:57 AM
Is the Rainbow Gemstone anything like a Corusca Gem (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corusca_gem)?)

As far as references go, you might want to check out some of the SW P&P stuff. Here's what you might call some "house rules" revisions of the Saga Edition's weapons rules, including saber crystals and other internals, called Technological Terrors. Grab a copy here - http://www.mediafire.com/%3Fa2aa2iag8da) Most of the crystals were pulled from KOTOR in the first place though, so I dunno how useful that will prove.
 Star Admiral
10-13-2008, 9:38 PM
@Darth Payne,
I guess I could do so, but there are already two LS and two DS crystals in the game. Maybe a neutral variant usable by both alignments. I've noticed that DS items tend to boost strength while LS items boost wisdom. Does that mean that a neutral one would boost Constitution or Intelligence attributes?

@DarthParametric,
Similar, but the important distinction would be that the Rainbow Gemstone is actually a sort of biological silicon-based lifeform while the Corusca Gemstone is more of a inanimate mineral formed under high pressure. Could you please repost a functional link? The existing one appears to be dead.

The problem remains that most of the useful attributes have been used up. Between attack bonuses, damage bonuses, attributes bonuses, keen, and force/health regeneration, I've pretty much run the gauntlet of what is there to offer. If I had to repeat some for the remaining four crystals, which one would be more appropriate/useful?

On a side note, could someone clarify for me the distinction between critical threat range and critical multiplier? If I've done my homework right, I believe that critical multiplier refers to the number that the damage done is multiplied by when a critical hit is achieved. Am I right?

Thanks a bunch!

- Star Admiral
 Star Admiral
10-27-2008, 3:43 AM
Okay, I just finished doing a complete playthrough of the game with the new crystals to see how they add up. On the whole, not bad for a firsttime mod, though I have a few small bugs that need fixing.

- What determines the description of the crystal? I have come to recognize that it is taken either from the dialog.tlk file or, if the Identified box is checked within the item file, from the Identified description. The problem is, there are some crystals that just don't have descriptions, even though I added one to the Identified description box and the Identified box is checked. Is is a must to add the description to the dialog.tlk file? Also, what determines if the game automatically inserts a description of the object's properties? All weapons, for example, have that while lightsaber crystals require you to enter the information yourself.

- I have no difficulty upgrading my lightsaber with the new crystals, but some of them appear as duplicates when I attempt to add them to a lightsaber. For example, if I have one of them, it will be listed twice, but once I install it in the lightsaber, both entries disappear.

- Is there some special spawning script for crystals in the crystal cave on Dantooine? There, and only there, was I able to successfully acquire one of the crystals I added into the game, even though I made no modifications whatsoever to the random loot system and did not replace any existing ingame crystals.

Any tips on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Star Admiral
 DarthParametric
10-27-2008, 5:26 AM
Could you please repost a functional link? The existing one appears to be dead.Sorry, never noticed your previous post. The link is actually working, just apparently not when clicking on it from here. If you follow it from the author's original thread - http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=861384) - it works fine. Most curious.
 RedHawke
10-27-2008, 7:58 AM
- What determines the description of the crystal? I have come to recognize that it is taken either from the dialog.tlk file or, if the Identified box is checked within the item file, from the Identified description. The problem is, there are some crystals that just don't have descriptions, even though I added one to the Identified description box and the Identified box is checked. Is is a must to add the description to the dialog.tlk file? Also, what determines if the game automatically inserts a description of the object's properties? All weapons, for example, have that while lightsaber crystals require you to enter the information yourself.
This information you have to enter yourself manually in the appropriate section in the items file, this is true for all items you make. If you are using the KT item editor there is a tab for the description.

- I have no difficulty upgrading my lightsaber with the new crystals, but some of them appear as duplicates when I attempt to add them to a lightsaber. For example, if I have one of them, it will be listed twice, but once I install it in the lightsaber, both entries disappear.
As I recall, this is a visual glitch in the upgrade system.

- Is there some special spawning script for crystals in the crystal cave on Dantooine? There, and only there, was I able to successfully acquire one of the crystals I added into the game, even though I made no modifications whatsoever to the random loot system and did not replace any existing ingame crystals.
If you followed the naming convention for the games normal crystals that might have explained why you got one of yours. And yes I do believe there is a crystal script, though the name escapes me atm, search around the Crystal cave module it should be there, or you can spawn a placeable with your crystals in it somewhere in the cave on a set event, like when you run into the Twilek Merc.
 Star Admiral
10-27-2008, 6:27 PM
This information you have to enter yourself manually in the appropriate section in the items file, this is true for all items you make. If you are using the KT item editor there is a tab for the description.

I did use the KT item editor, but it did not show up. I am supposed to put the description in the Identified Description box, right? I encountered the same problem a number of times when I did some tweaking of other ingame items. Some show up, others don't, and I can't see a pattern in it.

Out of curiosity, I noticed that crystals always need to have their properties typed in manually, but other weapons, for example, have their properties automatically appended to the description. Is there a set of rules governing when the appending happens?

As I recall, this is a visual glitch in the upgrade system.

So I take it that there is no fix?

If you followed the naming convention for the games normal crystals that might have explained why you got one of yours. And yes I do believe there is a crystal script, though the name escapes me atm, search around the Crystal cave module it should be there, or you can spawn a placeable with your crystals in it somewhere in the cave on a set event, like when you run into the Twilek Merc.

I'll check as soon as I get home, but does that mean that if I follow the same naming convention as the game, which I am, that my items will automatically appear in game as random loot? That would be sweet and save me quite a bit of trouble in figuring out the random loot script posted by stoffe a while back.

Thanks!

- Star Admiral
 RedHawke
10-29-2008, 4:59 AM
I am supposed to put the description in the Identified Description box, right?
That sounds right... (Yup, I just opened up KT and opened up the players saber crystal and it has a description tab that allows you to enter a name and description, the identified description box one had text in it as well as the name box).

Note I don't regularly use KT's editor much myself, being KT's item editor restricted me in what I wanted to do with some of my items, and I'm an old dog when it comes to making items anyway, I simply use a good ol' GFF editor to make my items and various other files for either KotOR game. But I don't suggest a newer person to modding do so until they are more comfortable with the games workings.

Out of curiosity, I noticed that crystals always need to have their properties typed in manually, but other weapons, for example, have their properties automatically appended to the description. Is there a set of rules governing when the appending happens?
Not sure why, I only created some lightsaber upgrades and haven't messed around with the crystals themselves that much and when I did it was a while ago. My saber upgrades didn't list the properties in the description window either but they did list them on the upgrade window, and did show up when installed in a saber.

(I looked and it appears that saber crystals have the properties listed in their descriptions, so some items you will have to list their properties here, or not, if it isn't that important as you can see the properties on the upgrade window.)

So I take it that there is no fix?
Not that I know of...

I'll check as soon as I get home, but does that mean that if I follow the same naming convention as the game, which I am, that my items will automatically appear in game as random loot? That would be sweet and save me quite a bit of trouble in figuring out the random loot script posted by stoffe a while back.
Unfortunately I have only heard of this working in a few instances, which is why I stated what I did.

Your best bet would be to place your item in the game as I suggested, random loot isn't all that hot as the modders who made the USM did good in using the system but random loot is just that... random, so you might never see your item in a play through by trusting that system alone.

In my game I have a choice selection of USM color crystals show up in a Pack I spawned on Peragus just so I could play with some of them (I have really crappy luck with 'random' loot).

I hope all this helps. ;)
 Star Admiral
10-29-2008, 4:35 PM
@DarthParametric,
Thanks for the link. The info has proved most useful, especially as I was also thinking of creating other upgrade items for melee/ranged weapons.

@RedHawke,
Yes, it helps a lot. I'll go brush up on my scripting and think of an intelligent way to incorporate the crystals into the game. Once I finish that, I playtest it once more for balance issues and release it at FileFront.

- Star Admiral
 Darth Payne
10-29-2008, 4:42 PM
Edit: Oops, my bad. I'd forgotten that this was for TSL.

Where to get the crystals in TSL? The Dendo brothers on Telos (Spawning a container in the shop?), or Daraala(sp?) on Dantooine(Spawning a container near her), Or the female merchant on Nar Shadaa (again spawning a container in the shop).

I don't remember if any of the other merchants in TSL had crystals.

It does make sense to me that you could get these crystals near other locations where you could get crystals.

You could always make a crystal merchant.
 Star Admiral
10-30-2008, 6:38 PM
@Darth Payne,
I've been bantering around the idea of doing as you suggested, except I almost feel an overwhelming desire to create some sort of side quest involved in obtaining the more exotic crystals. Before I get carried away, I'll probably end up releasing a first version without any quest and then add to it, as my scripting knowledge is still rather shoddy.

On a more general note, I've noticed that there are many entries in the upgrade.2da file that do not correspond with any item in TSL's inventory. These include items like ballistic_x, or ablative_x, etc. (I think I might have misspelled them; I'll check). At first I thought they corresponded to one of the armor overlays or something, but they don't. Are they necessary in the game or they serve some other purpose?

- Star Admiral
 Darth Payne
10-30-2008, 6:46 PM
Soounds good.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Page: 1 of 1