Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Presidential Qualifications are what exactly?

Page: 1 of 1
 Web Rider
10-05-2008, 9:02 PM
Do not confuse this with the Obama vs McCain thread, it is not.

Since apparently we all agree that the current candidates lack in important areas, and disagree on what exactly those areas are, but with a little logic realize these things apply to past presidents as well, I got curious.

Not citing specific issues(such as Iraq or abortion), what kind of qualifications does your ideal candidate need to have(regardless of party), how many years in office(which office in particular?), what religion, what age/race/gender/social status, military experience, if so, what kind, a grunt, a general, ect...?

And most importantly, I want to know why you think that qualification makes them better for the office than somebody without it? And please don't turn this into a "well, McCain has, Obama has" thread. I really do want to know what you think good qualifications are for a candidate, not what the current two lack.
 mimartin
10-05-2008, 9:14 PM
1. Natural Born Citizen
2. 35 years-old
3. 14 years a resident within the United States

Other than that, I’d say getting more votes than the other guy is the most important qualification. Oh wait…:(
 Achilles
10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
/thread

edit by d3: huh? WR asked that regardless of a candidate's positions on specific issues, "what kind of qualifications does your ideal candidate need to have(regardless of party), how many years in office(which office in particular?), what religion, what age/race/gender/social status, military experience, if so, what kind, a grunt, a general, ect...?" He didn't asked only for the requirements stated by the law but for personal opinions. I think there can be a matter for discussion here.
 Jae Onasi
10-06-2008, 2:05 PM
Ethical

Honest (yes, I know that's asking a lot)

Experience in the mlitary is not essential but it''s extremely helpful because the military runs differently from anything else.

Experience in the Real World workforce

Able to empathize with others

Understanding of basic history (world and US), economics, current affairs nationally and globally, political science, general science, world religions, and cultures.

Knows how to manage his/her personal budget.

Experience at a high state level or national level, or at a senior corporate level where they had to handle major projects involving a lot of people. Those candidates with extensive Congressional experience (House or Senate) will have an advantage because they understand the system and the give-and-take required.

Christian who is not extremist. I prefer someone with a worldview similar to mine representing me. Other religions/atheism is not a deal-breaker for me as long as that person respects the faith of others. I'd never vote for someone like Dawkins for anything because of his hatred for religion. I also would not vote for a Christian, Muslim, Jew, or person of another faith if they expressed hatred for another religion.

Someone who understands and can handle appropriate diplomacy.

Honesty

Good ethics (because the last 2 bear repeating)

Follows through on his/her word, and when breaking that word, has a VERY good reason for doing so.

Hardworking

Intelligent (doesn't have to be genius, but smart enough to understand things).

Makes his/her own decisions rather than relying on polls to tell them what to do.

Is willing to use diplomacy whenever possible to resolve conflicts internationally, but when it''s clear that there''s absolutely no other possible option than using the military (e.g. WWII), s/he will commit completely to that option until the job is done.

Ability to make decisions that are for the good of the entire country, even if it''s not popular or politically expedient.

Understands that s/he's working for Americans, not corporations, personal gain, or foreign interests.

Has some bipartisan experience and ability to work with both parties.

Isn''t afraid to admit mistakes, deal with any consequences, learn from those mistakes, and move on.

Has the ability to pick out advisors and cabinet members not because they're his buddies, but because they'll do the job well.

Has advisors who will be honest and not just say what they think PotUS will want to hear.

Probably more, but this is a good start.
 GarfieldJL
10-06-2008, 2:37 PM
My Qualifications for President is that the person be honest with me, takes responsibility for his actions, etc.

I don't have to agree with them on everything, but I do have to know where they really stand and I expect them to be straight up and honest with me.
Page: 1 of 1