Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

VP Debate Moderator's Conflict of Interest

Page: 1 of 1
 GarfieldJL
10-01-2008, 10:34 PM
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/01/vp-debate-moderator-pens-pro-obama-book/comments/)

Apparently, she stands to gain financially if Obama wins on top of her being pro-Obama.
 Web Rider
10-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh my! somebody stands to gain from a politician winning! Quick, somebody tell Big Oil that the people have caught on to their secret!
/sarcasm

While I find that the INDEPENDENT groups that picked the moderator failed to see this, that hardly means much of anything so long as the manner in which she acts is fair.
 El Sitherino
10-01-2008, 10:52 PM
What is she going to do, call sudden death and then award it to Obama somehow?
 Jae Onasi
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Web Rider, like it or not, there is a conflict of interest. Let's turn this around--if someone was writing a book about McCain and stood to gain a lot of money if McCain won the presidency, how would you feel?

Everything I've heard about Ifill and her journalism skills has been positive, and I think it's highly likely she will go out of her way to be fair, but it doesn't change the fact that she benefits from an Obama win, and could subtly word things, even unintentionally, to try to give Biden an edge in the debate. She should at least have advised the McCain campaign up front about this, and perhaps even recused herself. If someone stands to gain substantially from a McCain win and they are moderating any of the official debates (not ones hosted by CNN or Fox, for instance), they likewise should recuse themselves.
 Web Rider
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Web Rider, like it or not, there is a conflict of interest. Let's turn this around--if someone was writing a book about McCain and stood to gain a lot of money if McCain won the presidency, how would you feel?

I probably would have said the same thing. Maybe a little sharper though. I don't know why they didn't pick one of the more obvious newscasters that often do these things.
 Jae Onasi
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Have you tried to find someone who's centrist at PBS lately? They're either at one end of the spectrum or the other.
 Tommycat
10-01-2008, 11:43 PM
sithy, how would you feel about Bill O'Reiley moderating?
 El Sitherino
10-01-2008, 11:48 PM
sithy, how would you feel about Bill O'Reiley moderating?
Turn off the TV like I always do when he's on.

I'm not saying I agree with her being moderator, I'm just pointing out that she doesn't really have much to do except ask questions and keep them on topic.
It's an issue, but I don't think it's too big of one.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-01-2008, 11:51 PM
sithy, how would you feel about Bill O'Reiley moderating?I would love to see that and see his head inflating like a balloon with rage as Biden speaks.

To be honest though, it's a debate between Biden and Palin, and since Palin has the intelligence of the moose she kills and virtually no experience, I'm willing to bet that any sort of bias on the moderator's part won't make a difference.
 Tommycat
10-02-2008, 1:57 AM
Well, questions can be structured with bias. Though I don't think it'll play a big part in this instance, it is definately a concern. I'm sure every Republican pundit will be analyzing every word out of her mouth to search for the slightest hint of negativity towards Palin or the Republican party in general.

I mean if the questions hint at the failure of the current administration, that's going to look bad. The questions SHOULD be structured in this debate free of blaming the party. While I know you Bush bashers would love to see her ask a question leading off with "With the absolute dismal performance of President Bush in the economic crisis...." that would show her bias. It would also be a very nice tool for the Republicans to use to bash the Democrats with.
 GarfieldJL
10-02-2008, 9:29 AM
I would love to see that and see his head inflating like a balloon with rage as Biden speaks.

To be honest though, it's a debate between Biden and Palin, and since Palin has the intelligence of the moose she kills and virtually no experience, I'm willing to bet that any sort of bias on the moderator's part won't make a difference.

Actually, he'd be busy telling Biden to quit giving him the runaround half the debate and actually answer the question already. Biden apparently loves to hear himself talk.
 Arcesious
10-02-2008, 9:36 AM
This shall prove to be an interesting VP debate to watch...
 GarfieldJL
10-02-2008, 9:40 AM
This shall prove to be an interesting VP debate to watch...

Question is how it will play out, on one hand the moderator is out to make Governor Palin look bad. On the other hand, Senator Biden has a tendency to say things that are particularly damaging (to himself).
 Jae Onasi
10-02-2008, 9:58 AM
In some ways this may put the Dems at a bit of a disadvantage. If Palin wins, she wins in spite of a moderator with a frank financial stake in an Obama win. If Palin loses, she loses not because she did poorly, but because Ifill tossed her biased questions.
 GarfieldJL
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
In some ways this may put the Dems at a bit of a disadvantage. If Palin wins, she wins in spite of a moderator with a frank financial stake in an Obama win. If Palin loses, she loses not because she did poorly, but because Ifill tossed her biased questions.

That's probably why McCain isn't making a big fuss about it, he's giving the liberal media just enough rope to hang themselves.
 mimartin
10-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Actually, he'd be busy telling Biden to quit giving him the runaround half the debate and actually answer the question already. Biden apparently loves to hear himself talk. Yes, Biden is the only politician to suffer from that affliction. :roleyess:

If Bill O’Reiley was moderating the debate we wouldn’t hear much from either candidate, he seems to suffer from the same affliction as you accuse Biden to suffer from. :xp:
Question is how it will play out, on one hand the moderator is out to make Governor Palin look bad. If find it very telling that most believe just because the moderator has a vested interest in Obama that she will be unfair to Palin. Many times in my life I have been placed in a judgment activity where I had friends, coworkers or family competing. In every case I was harder on the person I knew than the stranger because I did not want to appear bias towards the others.
On the other hand, Senator Biden has a tendency to say things that are particularly damaging (to himself). Yea, Palin does not suffer from this either. :confused:
 GarfieldJL
10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Yes, Biden is the only politician to suffer from that affliction. :roleyess:

Yeah but Biden tends to be self-destructing when he does it.

If Bill O’Reiley was moderating the debate we wouldn’t hear much from either candidate, he seems to suffer from the same affliction as you accuse Biden to suffer from. :xp:

See his interviews with McCain, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, he can let people talk, just he isn't big on people going into their talking points. When he asks a question he wants an answer.

If find it very telling that most believe just because the moderator has a vested interest in Obama that she will be unfair to Palin. Many times in my life I have been placed in a judgment activity where I had friends, coworkers or family competing. In every case I was harder on the person I knew than the stranger because I did not want to appear bias towards the others.

Problem is you don't potentially stand to make millions of dollars over this, she does.
 El Sitherino
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Tony Blair should moderate the debate!
 mimartin
10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Problem is you don't potentially stand to make millions of dollars over this, she does. I guess that depends on how I value love, friendship and money. Personally, I value both my friends and my family over money, but I value my honor over either.
 Web Rider
10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Question is how it will play out, on one hand the moderator is out to make Governor Palin look bad. On the other hand, Senator Biden has a tendency to say things that are particularly damaging (to himself).

That's entirely speculation and hearsay on your part. You don't know any more that this woman is "out to get her" than we know that she isn't out to get Biden. maybe she's for Obama but she really hates Biden, he's not exactly the most popular figure in the democrats.

In any case this is all just plain superstition, lets wait till after the debate to tell.
 tk102
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Problem is you don't potentially stand to make millions of dollars over this, she does.The book will be coming out regardless of who wins the election and she will make millions anyway. :)

IMO, News Hour with Jim Lehrer is a very fair PBS broadcast with in depth discussions about politics and policy from both sides. It's also a very calm forum that doesn't need to resort to shouting matches to talk through prickly issues. It's not surprising that Fox News is making a fuss over this as they are the antithesis of News Hour and the stones they're able to throw at its newscasters are few.

Having watched Gwen Ifill over the years, I'm confident that her professionalism will allow her to keep her moderation neutral. I recall her being on the other side of the interview table last year giving her opinions about the Don Imus controversy. This was the first time I had heard from her about *her* opinion on anything. News Hour does not do editorials; it simply moderates the discussion of current events with a number of guests -- and it does this every weeknight without shouting matches, without tension between the moderator and the guests. There's a reason Lehrer and Ifill have been chosen as debate moderators many times in the past: they're some of the best in the business.

Let's save the criticism of moderator bias for after the debate.
 Corinthian
10-02-2008, 5:35 PM
It doesn't matter that you don't think her conflict of interest will effect her during the debate. She has a conflict of interest, she should recuse herself. It's common courtesy.
 Yar-El
10-02-2008, 5:44 PM
This is one of those moments when you say, "Tim! Tim Russet we need you." :)
 Corinthian
10-02-2008, 5:54 PM
I prefer the idea of a cage match. Palin versus Biden, no holds barred. Winner takes the VP seat. The only downside is, if we threw McCain and Obama into the ring, Obama probably wouldn't fight, and McCain would have a heart attack before three minutes are up.
 SD Nihil
10-02-2008, 6:10 PM
I prefer the idea of a cage match. Palin versus Biden, no holds barred. Winner takes the VP seat. The only downside is, if we threw McCain and Obama into the ring, Obama probably wouldn't fight, and McCain would have a heart attack before three minutes are up.

I agree McCain would have a heart attack. For the VP cage match I think Palin would win though. Biden is old like McCain and if your fighting someone with high heals, ouch, plus the phrase "hell have no furry like a woman scorned". Not to mention she hunts moose and did those snow machine races in such cold temperatures .
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-02-2008, 6:20 PM
I prefer the idea of a cage match. Palin versus Biden, no holds barred. Winner takes the VP seat. The only downside is, if we threw McCain and Obama into the ring, Obama probably wouldn't fight, and McCain would have a heart attack before three minutes are up.Barack "Badass" Obama wouldn't fight?
http://i35.tinypic.com/9rq3y9.jpg)
I agree McCain would have a heart attack. For the VP cage match I think Palin would win though. Biden is old like McCain and if your fighting someone with high heals, ouch, plus the phrase "hell have no furry like a woman scorned". Not to mention she hunts moose and did those snow machine races in such cold temperatures .Why are you impressed by her ability to sit in the cold and be scorned?
 SD Nihil
10-02-2008, 6:42 PM
Barack "Badass" Obama wouldn't fight?
http://i35.tinypic.com/9rq3y9.jpg)
Why are you impressed by her ability to sit in the cold and be scorned?

Because the cold temperature makes you have to adapt to harsh conditions.

And scorned meaning the anger factor. I forgot to mention Biden being a human Gaffai and saying stuff I think his bark would be worse than his bite.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-02-2008, 7:28 PM
Because the cold temperature makes you have to adapt to harsh conditions.Alright then, worship me too, I got my snowmobile license in Vermont at like 14 and won a riflery contest at a camp I hated but stayed at anyway.
 SD Nihil
10-02-2008, 7:40 PM
Alright then, worship me too, I got my snowmobile license in Vermont at like 14 and won a riflery contest at a camp I hated but stayed at anyway.

Well good for you bud. Is temperature there as cold as in Alaska?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-02-2008, 7:50 PM
Well good for you bud. Is temperature there as cold as in Alaska?Well, you got me there, it's only been -50 F in Vermont whereas it gets down to -60 F in Alaska :/
 tk102
10-02-2008, 9:33 PM
It doesn't matter that you don't think her conflict of interest will effect her during the debate. She has a conflict of interest, she should recuse herself. It's common courtesy.

Explain. What is the conflict of interest? Her book will make money regardless.

Debates are going on at the moment. Have you seen bias?
 Corinthian
10-02-2008, 9:34 PM
She's got a vested personal interest in seeing Obama take the White House.
 tk102
10-02-2008, 9:38 PM
How? She has a personal opinion about Obama but who doesn't? The claim is that she won't make any money if Obama isn't president. That's BS. There's about 50% of the population that agree with her and probably about 1% of that population that will buy her book. That's not going to change much whether Obama is elected or not.
 mimartin
10-02-2008, 9:42 PM
Debates are going on at the moment. Have you seen bias? No. It was much ado about nothing.
 Samuel Dravis
10-02-2008, 9:46 PM
Neither McCain nor Palin have disagreed with the moderator choice, even though informed of this "conflict of interest" - which apparently isn't much of one if they were okay with her. I don't see a problem here.
 SD Nihil
10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
People think the VP debate moderator has a vested interest in Obama winning because of her book, the age of Obama. Anyway that's part of the name.

It's set to go on sale on the day the new president is sworn into office. Age of Obma implies to me that she wants him to win. It won't be an age of Obama if he loses.

So if he wins (Obama) she is in the position to make money on her book. If McCain wins she won't make as much I think.

But I think the problem people have with the moderator is they felt because she's doing this book that she might be biased and unfair to Palin or make her answer an un fair question or something.

I'm watching the debate right now and the moderator has not been biased. So now that I'm watching the moderator and she's been fair.

So I feel at this point the book the VP moderator is working on is a mute point now. People felt because she's doing a book she'll be unfair. She hasn't. I don't think in the coming days in the news it will even be a topic high on the scale.

30minutes left over here until the debate is over and I've yet to see unfairness with the VP mod.

Let me just also add anyone can make a book and in the US persue their desire to make money. I'd expect if it was a conservative moderator of a political debate to also be un biased and not be un fair to the democrat.
 Tommycat
10-03-2008, 1:58 AM
Ok, my take on it. There was a very subliminal bias evident, but only in the order and types of the questions. I doubt it was intentional though(and it may have been my own preconcieved notions inferring bias). They are the questions on most people's minds. They spent a lot of time talking about Iraq, and of course the economic meltdown. But to ignore these would have left a lot of people with an urge to kick in their TV's.

Palin kinda surprised me in some of her strengths. She came off as intelligent, and very down home.

I think she was strongest on global warming(which kinda shocked me). I like how she said that while global warming is real(which it is) she also said that it wasn't entirely man made(which it isn't). Biden seemed to be pandering to the greenieweenies saying it IS man made(which it is not, at least not entirely). Strangely enough it made her come off as more knowledgable about global warming than biden(well she should know... since the eskimos in her state have had to move further inland because of the melting ice sheets)
 EnderWiggin
10-03-2008, 6:31 AM
Problem is you don't potentially stand to make millions of dollars over this, she does.
So how do you feel now that the debate is over and there was no bias, Mr. Republican Man?

_EW_
 Jae Onasi
10-05-2008, 7:32 PM
Posts regarding the Palin-Biden debate itself rather than moderator bias (or lack thereof in this case. :) ) were moved to the US Presidential debates (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=192499) thread.
 GarfieldJL
10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
So how do you feel now that the debate is over and there was no bias, Mr. Republican Man?

_EW_

Funny, cause I noticed there was some bias in the debate by the moderator, I also noticed some hand signals given by Biden to the moderator to cut Governor Palin off, and the moderator did. Further hand signals to give him extra rebuttals which the moderator gave him.

That's bias putting it mildly, and the concept that one has no bias when their book is about an Obama Presidency isn't very believable.

@ Jae Onasi

I must respectfully disagree with your stance of the moderator being unbiased.
Page: 1 of 1