Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is this legal?

Page: 1 of 1
 spaceholder999
10-01-2008, 6:46 AM
Well, I didn't know where to put the topic so I am posting it here, since it is mod related. If the moderator wants to move it, it's alright.

Anyways, this Star Wars Battlefront II modding site www.gametoast.com) is hosting this big mod called Conversion pack (basically Battlefront I maps for II, and as far as I know, that is legal). They have different eras in the mod, like Clone Wars, Galactic Civil War and KotoR. They've used alot of stuff from the KotoR assets to make the era (+ one Endar Spire map). I got on the admins' "black list" when I pointed that out in a PM, and shortly after that I got banned.

Check out the screenshots:

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/84/files2/94154_1.jpg)

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/screenshots/File/94154/2)

And here's the link to the mod:

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack;94154)

Is this legal? I've always thought porting (without the developers' permission) wasn't...
 Astor
10-01-2008, 6:58 AM
If they have used the game's assets, which looks pretty likely in the case of those levels, then yes it is illegal.

I don't really know the implications of it, but it is illegal. Or at least that's my understanding of it.
 The Betrayer
10-01-2008, 7:59 AM
I believe it to be illegal, as they used the textures from KotOR to make their own mod in another game.

If you're really concerned about it, report it to Bioware and we might see a cease-and-desist order coming out.
 Xbx_Inthusiast
10-01-2008, 9:07 AM
I'm pretty sure they made it from scratch and just used reference pictures- the low quality of the models and skins is proof of that... I'm making sure I download it ASAP before it may get taken away. It's an amazing mod, I get to play Battlefront with Old Republic Sith and Republic while playing heroes like Bastila, Jolee, Chuundar, Uthar Wynn, etc... =]
 spaceholder999
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure they made it from scratch and just used reference pictures- the low quality of the models and skins is proof of that... I'm making sure I download it ASAP before it may get taken away. It's an amazing mod, I get to play Battlefront with Old Republic Sith and Republic while playing heroes like Bastila, Jolee, Chuundar, Uthar Wynn, etc... =]

Well, it IS ported stuff. I saw the mod's Sith Trooper texture myself, and then I checked the one in the KotoR tool.
 Darth Payne
10-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Then there is the Endar Spire.

That has to be ported.
 Inyri
10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Looks to be ported. I'm not really surprised; very few gaming communities have a good moral code.
 ganoesparan06
10-01-2008, 5:43 PM
Looks to be ported. I'm not really surprised; very few gaming communities have a good moral code.

Well the fact that they banned him for simply ASKING if it was legal for them to do that - ie maybe they obtained prior permission from LA/Bioware/Obsidian to use these assets - kinda shows that.

Unless of course he did it in a highly rude and offensive manner.
 Endorenna
10-01-2008, 6:06 PM
Since this is probably ported, is it legal for me to use this mod?
 Xbx_Inthusiast
10-01-2008, 6:51 PM
You're not going to be tracked down and murdered/imprisoned for playing it or downloading it.

It probably isn't morally right, but you're not breaking any laws by playing it. If you were to release it, or the original maker had released it, he/she would have broken the law.

Don't quote me on this though, I'm not a lawyer- just a freelance Journalist.
 Inyri
10-01-2008, 6:57 PM
It might technically be considered warez since you're downloading content from a game you don't own a license to play or use.
 Corinthian
10-01-2008, 9:01 PM
Legally? Yes, it's probably not entirely legal. But frankly, this is the kind of grey area no one really cares about. Although then again, this is LucasArts we're talking about, so I imagine these guys will get a C&D pretty soon.
 jawathehutt
10-01-2008, 9:47 PM
Battlefront 2 has had kotor skins for well over a year now, if LA cared, they probably would have done something by now. And besides, LA doesnt seem to give a rats ass about BF2 anymore, it was like after the 1.1 patch for PC and the xbox expansion pack, they just forgot about the game.
 assassing3
10-01-2008, 9:51 PM
well after downloading and testing it on battlefront then replaying the intro of Kotor
i can say its ported with about a 90% rate enless someone has great eye to computer technique

on another note about time i got to shoot my gun and kill some sith lol
 Robespierre
10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-battlefront-conversion-pack) - This looks like a far better Battlefront II Kotor conversion pack.
 Xarwarz
10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
well i don't think it matters to the original makers cause they made their money, and no one charges for mods so ehh
 Endorenna
10-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the answers, guys!

Robespierre, that looks like the same thing. I recognize several of the screenshots from Filefront. Still, thanks for the link! I really liked the picture of Brianna. :D
 jawathehutt
10-01-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-battlefront-conversion-pack) - This looks like a far better Battlefront II Kotor conversion pack.

That's the exact same thing being discussed now, just a different link
 Robespierre
10-02-2008, 1:28 AM
That's the exact same thing being discussed now, just a different link

Really? Wow, that wasn't good.

Is it possible to directly copy a model from one game to another? I suppose textures would be possible, but models and maps?
 Inyri
10-02-2008, 1:33 AM
A whole model? No. You can 'directly' copy a mesh, but you usually have to rig it manually for the game you're porting it to, so it's not simply a copy paste, but some intermediary editing needs to be done.

Same goes for (some) maps and other game content.
 HdVaderII
10-02-2008, 6:44 PM
Same goes for (some) maps and other game content.
Would I be correct in saying that can be done with the Jedi Knight Series? JK2 to JKA, or the other way around? Correct me if I'm wrong.
 Inyri
10-02-2008, 6:47 PM
I'm not giving any more porting-related 'advice.'
 HdVaderII
10-02-2008, 6:50 PM
I'm not giving any more porting-related 'advice.'

I was wondering if it was legal, sorry for not making myself clear.
Anyway, I like the look of the conversion pack, but I won't download it if it's porting.
 Inyri
10-02-2008, 6:54 PM
LucasArts legal affairs told us a few years ago that they were fine with JK2-->JK3 map conversion, but made it clear they didn't want any sound porting between the games. I don't know why, but that's what they said.

As I said, though, that was several years ago. They may have a difference stance now, and good luck finding a way to contact their legal affairs department. It's not as easy as it used to be.
 Darth Atris
10-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I am a member at gametoast and it is made themselves teancum has been working on it since 05 no ported stuff
 Darth Payne
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
So, where did the Taris from the first screenshot in the first post come from if it wasn't ported?
 Darth Atris
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
They made the endar spire themselve they have 60 people on the team you know your insulting there hardwork
 Darth Payne
10-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I said nothing about the Endar Spire there, i said Taris.

You know, the planet that can be seen out the window.
 Giant Graffiti
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
They made the endar spire themselve they have 60 people on the team you know your insulting their hardwork.
Why aren't the other 58 people credited? I'd think Teancum and Maveritchell would be insulting their hardwork.
 Darth Atris
10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
They redid taris didnt port and most people are credited but on gametoast most people gave models
 Great Scott!
10-03-2008, 1:03 PM
Seeing as how my posted was deleted when it could've easily been edited...
The moderator felt deletion was more appropriate, obviously, and the staff moderates as they feel is necessary. If you don't want your posts moderated, I suggest you make sure you're posting according to the rules. --Jae
Unless of course he did it in a highly rude and offensive manner.I doubt that, he sounds nice and calm about this. I don't think he'd have any reason to be rude or offensive.

I'd say to report this to LucasArts and let them take care of it.
 Darth Atris
10-03-2008, 1:05 PM
You know teancum has a family and retiring from modding mav made alot of the kotor stuff whith caleb177
 Astor
10-03-2008, 2:02 PM
You know teancum has a family and retiring from modding mav made alot of the kotor stuff whith caleb177

We're not saying he's not a nice person... but looking at those screenshots, they're pretty much an exact copy of the levels on KOTOR, too exact for them to be a mere coincidence.

I still think they're ported. Has someone contacted LucasArts or Bioware?
 Christos K
10-03-2008, 2:05 PM
Hmm I read this thread and I was thinking if he was asking if a mod he was going to make was legal and why would you want to squeal on them I am not trying to be rude or anything but it is a good mod I have played it. And trust me the textures are made from scratch. The Rebel Soldier has exactly the same helmet as the Old Republic Soldier so no porting was done there just re skinning so that explains that but if you want to try the mod download and you wont be mad for any reason (Bugs or illegal reasons).
 Astor
10-03-2008, 2:09 PM
Hmm I read this thread and I was thinking if he was asking if a mod he was going to make was legal and why would you want to squeal on them

Because if they have ported it, then it's illegal - we're not allowed to do it, so why should others?

And trust me the textures are made from scratch. The Rebel Soldier has exactly the same helmet as the Old Republic Soldier so no porting was done there just re skinning

It's not the characters we're talking about. It's the level.
 Maveritchell
10-03-2008, 2:15 PM
I've already gone over this in depth with anyone who's asked me directly, and I'm fairly certain that no one has ever been banned from Gametoast for asking questions. (To the OP: What was your SN at GT?)

There are no ported models in the Battlefront Conversion Pack. GT users RepSharpshooter and Caleb1117 modeled Endar Spire over the course of about six months, by their account. That is of course not conclusive evidence, but I've seen Caleb's work in progress and I certainly trust RepSharpshooter enough and know his modeling ability well enough to say that I believe that he hasn't ported anything.

Most of our textures are made from screencaps in Knights 1 or 2 and are textures made for stock Battlefront II models. However, as has been brought to my attention, there are a couple instances where (I believe) original Knights 1/2 textures were used for models, like the Sith trooper model (and the T3 model, and Bastila, and maybe one or two others). In this case I'm deferring to the rules that KotORFiles (at FileFront) has about using materials for other games. They state explicitly that using models/sounds is a big no-no, but textures are okay as long as credit is given.

And while it doesn't mean a whole lot by itself, I think it's worth mentioning (in conjunction with the above) that this mod has been around and in development for a long time, and no one from LucasArts/Pandemic/Obsidian/Bioware has so much batted an eye, much less foxed us. While I suppose we could be flying under the radar, I doubt it.

And everyone who contributed to the project is listed in our extensive credits included with the mod. We don't want to leave anyone out, and I sincerely hope we didn't. And none of us want to do anything shady or illegal, since, like Inyri mentioned, a lot of modders don't bother with such "trivialities" as law. It's a personal conviction of mine to not disobey the law and you can bet if I thought this were illegal in any way, I'd pull it straight down from GT, SWBFFiles, and ModDB.

Edit: And in the future, I'd much rather be addressed directly about this, rather than having to be told about it as it's discussed behind my back. Thanks! I can be contacted here, at GT, ModDB, or SWBFFiles, all as "Maveritchell."
 Astor
10-03-2008, 2:19 PM
Thanks for your input, Maveritchell, it's nice to hear from someone directly involved. I can believe it now i've heard it from someone in the know... :)
 Christos K
10-03-2008, 2:25 PM
Yah I know it would be illegal thats not the point why would someone come on the forums and start accusing someone, working on a mod for about 4 years, now of illegally importing files, etc. I mean 4 years one of the companies would have sure heard about it by now and not only that but on Gametoast forums are a multiple threads/posts/forums/whatever concering this whole problem. But I dont think this is my place to say stuff, We should just drop this now before it turns into flame fest. If someones wants to email LucasArts about a game... lol they sure have listened to us in the past (K3, BF3, RC 2, etc.)
 Astor
10-03-2008, 2:45 PM
If someones wants to email LucasArts about a game... lol they sure have listened to us in the past (K3, BF3, RC 2, etc.)

Copyright infringement and potential theft is very different to whining about sequels.

But, we have our answer now, and I for one am content to leave it be now.
 Jae Onasi
10-03-2008, 3:50 PM
a. Discussion of porting assets is not allowed.
b. This isn't even a Lucasforums-related site where the alleged porting is occuring.

Thread closed.
Page: 1 of 1