Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Wired Router Security Question

Page: 1 of 1
 SD Nihil
09-02-2008, 3:50 PM
Hello. I currently have a WRT54GS wireless Linksys router which has been secured by encryption, passwords, its firewall, tcp/ip protection, etc. I use the router for xbox live by way of an ethernet cable. I had this wirelles router and not a regular wired router because of a prevous computer on a network. Now I don't need the wireless aspect.

If I get a wired router are the security issues wirless routers are prone to not apply to wired routers? If so are there different things you must do to secure your wired router, or do you secure it the same way you do a wireless router. Thanks.
 DeadYorick
09-02-2008, 3:55 PM
Hello. I currently have a WRT54GS wireless Linksys router which has been secured by encryption, passwords, its firewall, tcp/ip protection, etc. I use the router for xbox live by way of an ethernet cable. I had this wirelles router and not a regular wired router because of a prevous computer on a network. Now I don't need the wireless aspect.

If I get a wired router are the security issues wirless routers are prone to not apply to wired routers? If so are there different things you must do to secure your wired router, or do you secure it the same way you do a wireless router. Thanks.

Um I think this is the wrong category for that. I think a mod should move this topic
 Astrotoy7
09-03-2008, 2:00 AM
Of course there are common security issues for wired or wireless, but you do have the added WEP/WPA/PSK type encryption ontop of a wireless protocol.

If you stick to your standard security measures, tcp/ip protection, firewall, safe browsing habits etc you will be fine. There are also apps like peerguardian and zonealarm(ontop of AVirus adware etc) that people use to keep their pc safe from stuff making it through via web to pc.

always good to put a password on your router config access to stop eager beavers try to get in and fiddle with your junk

good luck

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-03-2008, 4:40 PM
I've been using the ZoneAlarm/Avast/CCleaner combo for years now, with wired and wireless routers, and I've never had any major issues with viruses or spyware.

If I were you I'd keep the wireless for ease of use, you never know when someone will buy you a nice new laptop or iPhone for Xmas which would be much easier connected wireless to the internet ;)
Page: 1 of 1