Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ships being destroyed.

Page: 1 of 1
 Carsew
08-07-2008, 5:02 PM
Hey y'all. I have a problem with my fic. It's so that i have planned that the cruiser is to be destroyed from the inside, with random explosions all over the place, but i can't think of any failiure that could cause that? Help?:confused:
 igyman
08-07-2008, 5:13 PM
Well, my first thought is to insert some kind of Hyperdrive failure. Perhaps a core overload, or some kind of containment/stabilizer failure. Hope this helps a bit and if it doesn't I hope someone else might have a better idea.
 Burnseyy
08-07-2008, 5:15 PM
You could try what's done in K2, where people pre-set explosions in different corners of the ship.

:)

Or there could be an overload, a batallion of dysfunctional droids... it really depends what kind of explosion you're going for.
Is it in the middle of a battle or is it by surprise?
 Darth_Yuthura
08-07-2008, 5:19 PM
Maybe a torpedo magazine exploded? That would be catastrophic enough to blow apart a ship in real life, but star wars doesn't exactly have a way with explosives.

A magazine explosion could pass off as a malfunction or sabotage.
 Carsew
08-07-2008, 5:25 PM
Thank you very much everyone! :)

@ Burnseyy: It's in a lightsaber battle where they destroy a computer console by mistake.
 machievelli
08-07-2008, 6:10 PM
Hey y'all. I have a problem with my fic. It's so that i have planned that the cruiser is to be destroyed from the inside, with random explosions all over the place, but i can't think of any failiure that could cause that? Help?:confused:

Consider this as an example: The final inquiry into the destruction of the Battleship Maine went like this:

Wet coal in one of the bunkers caused a reaction where heat built up. A common occurance, which is why wet coal was supposed to be dried before being stored right up to WWI.

The heat reached the point where a section of the coal in the bunker located against a magazine wall ignited. Like the famous underground fire in Pennsylvannia, this could occur and there is little or no smoke. The heat built up.

Beyond that wall was a 4.1" gun magazine (I think. It coult have been the 9.2"). The propellant charges (cartridges if they were 4.1, 20 pound bags of cordite for 9.2") heated until a charge exploded, setting of a dozen or more in a sympathetic explosion. These set off the charges near them, all within less than a second causing the one massive explosion recorded by the Spanish authorities in Havana harbor.

In the version you mentioned to Burnseyy, the computer could be running a containment protocol (Say shifting the coolant from one reactor to another. The protocol gets interrupted; I.E. the one reactor getting drained is not told to stop venting, as the other does not get the required coolant. Both begin to overheat, causing containment to fail and you have two explosions that cause secondary damage.
 Carsew
08-08-2008, 3:38 AM
Thanks everyone! Chapter one of my fic, Threat from the Unknown (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191095), is up. The explosion hasn't come yet, but it will. ;) Feedback welcome.
Page: 1 of 1