Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gmax installation error

Page: 1 of 1
 irishladdy08
07-28-2008, 8:57 AM
(if this is wrong forum sorry...couldnt find a forum here about gmax so mvoe please :) if incorrect) ok so i was interested in skinning etc so i downloaded every tool i needed no problem but i cant download Gmax :confused: i click setup>next>i agree>next ''error 1722.there is a problem with this windows installer package.a program run as part of setup did not finish as expected contact your personal or package vender'' now what do i do?
thanks
~irish
 Marius Fett
07-28-2008, 5:28 PM
Did you download from the official GMax site?

If not, try doing do, and if you did, try downloading again. :)
 irishladdy08
07-28-2008, 6:33 PM
what is the offical site? i downloaded it from turbosquid also the link given here to auto desk or something...it seems the site isnt hosting the file any longer
 TriggerGod
07-28-2008, 9:58 PM
what is the offical site? i downloaded it from turbosquid also the link given here to auto desk or something...it seems the site isnt hosting the file any longer
Turbo is the official (?) GMax site.
And it couldn't have been. I downloaded GMax when SS's tutorial appeared, which wasn't that long ago.
 oldflash
07-29-2008, 2:48 AM
(if this is wrong forum sorry...couldnt find a forum here about gmax so mvoe please :) if incorrect) ok so i was interested in skinning etc so i downloaded every tool i needed no problem but i cant download Gmax :confused: i click setup>next>i agree>next ''error 1722.there is a problem with this windows installer package.a program run as part of setup did not finish as expected contact your personal or package vender'' now what do i do?
thanks
~irish
Sometime I get same error on installing prgrams. Best thing is to get Windows Installer 3.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en)
It's working for me and maybe can solve your problem too.
 Marius Fett
07-29-2008, 5:05 AM
 irishladdy08
07-29-2008, 7:03 AM
the error still appears...could any1 send me a .rar copy of there installed version?...thanks cause i got an idea for a mod :)
 Marius Fett
07-29-2008, 7:09 AM
Are you using a Windows Vista machine?

Also, someone giving you their install would be illegal AFAIK.
 oldflash
07-29-2008, 7:22 AM
Beside, Gmax must be installed and not copyed. A copy of installed program will not work.
 Marius Fett
07-29-2008, 7:37 AM
Also, paying a visit to the support section on the GMax site might be a good idea. :)
 irishladdy08
07-29-2008, 8:45 AM
no i am running a windows XP computer...and i will try my question there and didnt no it would be illegal to do that :O but thanks anywya guys :)
 Marius Fett
07-29-2008, 9:05 AM
Do you have another computer?

Try a fresh download and install on another computer. (If you have one)

It could be your machine. ;)
 EnderWiggin
07-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Are you using a Windows Vista machine?

Also, someone giving you their install would be illegal AFAIK.

It's a free program (that's not even supported anymore).

_EW_
 Marius Fett
07-29-2008, 1:48 PM
It's a free program (that's not even supported anymore).

_EW_

You have to register the software upon download.

Also, the GMax documentation states that redistribution is not permitted without permission.
 irishladdy08
07-29-2008, 1:57 PM
i havnt got another computer and my thread was deleted :S
 Marius Fett
07-29-2008, 2:03 PM

Hmm..

Try asking in the LFN tech area.

One of our techies might know something. ;)
 EnderWiggin
07-29-2008, 2:28 PM
You have to register the software upon download.

Also, the GMax documentation states that redistribution is not permitted without permission.

So? No big deal.

Why was it deleted?

_EW_
 irishladdy08
07-29-2008, 4:36 PM
no idea...i cant find it anywere :s unless i missed something o.o i just copied my question here to there
 oldflash
07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
could any1 send me a .rar copy of there installed version?
It is not a matter of copyrights. Gmax MUST be installed. A copy of installed program on another computer is not working.
 Coolprogram
07-30-2008, 5:52 PM
Hmm... I think I got this problem one time. Try deleting everything that you have for GMAX go to control panel add/remove software uninstall GMAX, then go into your documents and Delete GMAX... Then try to install it again, if that fails, try deleting everything all over again and downloading the installer again and install it that way. Also make sure you have the SP (Service Pack(s)) Also make sure that you have enough space on your hard drive. If the problem persists, download an older version or contact the maker of GMAX (Discreet also try contacting turbosquid)... You can find the download at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax)
Hope this helps some,
-CP
 irishladdy08
07-30-2008, 7:07 PM
were can i download older versions? i can only seem to find the one version 1.2 and that doesnt work...and oldflash what do you mean by ''A copy of installed program on another computer is not working.'' ?
 Marius Fett
07-30-2008, 7:20 PM
I don't think you can download older versions.

And I think oldflash means copies don't work because you need the registry entries too.

I think this thread should be moved to the Tech Forum or possibly T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center, as it's not mod related.
 irishladdy08
07-30-2008, 7:32 PM
may i ask...what registry entries?
 Inyri
07-30-2008, 7:33 PM
When software is installed on your computer the installation process adds registry keys to your computer's registry. If you don't know anything about the registry, just take our word for it that these keys are necessary for the software to function, so it must be installed normally.
 irishladdy08
07-30-2008, 7:35 PM
o ok but i cant seem to understand this error message...im even down graded my windows installer and it still seems to cancel it self...it keeps saying it has ended prematurely :/

EDIT:Question...is there anyway i can manualy get the zipped programs from the gmax installer from a progrma like winRAR to manually install the program or preform a desktop install?
 Marius Fett
07-31-2008, 6:17 AM
Try running the installer through the Admin account.
 irishladdy08
07-31-2008, 7:56 AM
this is the admin account lol :)
 Marius Fett
07-31-2008, 8:16 AM
I don't mean your account. I mean the Administrator account that comes with a Windows XP machine. Log in with the username Administrator, and no password.
 irishladdy08
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
im sorry do you mean the profile that is already made for me when i first got the computer? if you do this is it :confused:
 Marius Fett
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, that's what I mean.

Well, if it's not working, as I said before, ask in our Tech Forum.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, if it's not working, as I said before, ask in our Tech Forum.

Please don't, at least not our Workbench forums. I assume _EW_ err.. MF means the General Tech Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=691) forums? If that's the case, then yes you could try your luck there.. however Holowan is an appropriate forum for general Gmax questions. :)

EDIT:Question...is there anyway i can manualy get the zipped programs from the gmax installer from a progrma like winRAR to manually install the program or preform a desktop install?
Manual installation isn't possible.. it has to run through the installer (.exe). Have you tried to re-download the file and install?

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax)

Also, check to see if the computer "thinks" gmax is already installed. Check your Add/Remove Programs to make sure there isn't any gmax entries.
 irishladdy08
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
ok i've reposted in the tech thread :) and no my computer doesnt not have anything to do with gmax and yes i have tried to re download and re install...all failed
 Marius Fett
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
@ChAiNz:

The General Tech Forum was what I meant. ;)
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2008, 12:40 PM
ok i've reposted in the tech thread :) and no my computer doesnt not have anything to do with gmax and yes i have tried to re download and re install...all failed
Heya irishladdy, just came to me about actually searching for what a 1772 error meant and found this interesting prog. Might want to see if that helps:

http://simple-pc-help.com/support/error_1772.html)
or this one:

http://free.pc-error-repair.org/error/library/Error-1772.html)

Apparently it's caused by a broken system registry (why I wanted you to see if there was a ghost install of gmax in Add/Remove) ;)

If there is a ghost install, use this tool to clean it up and try again:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301)

@ChAiNz:

The General Tech Forum was what I meant. ;)
Thought so ;) :D
 EnderWiggin
07-31-2008, 1:04 PM
Please don't, at least not our Workbench forums. I assume _EW_ means the General Tech Discussion (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=691) forums?

I didn't mean either ;)

_EW_
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2008, 1:11 PM
I didn't mean either ;)

_EW_

hehe me either..and normally would close one of them. I'd rather the thread stay here, but since I don't know if all the General Tech regulars visit Holowan, it doesn't hurt to have a "beacon" post ;)

Some smart guys/gals roam the Tech Thread so it's a good post to stick in there :D
 EnderWiggin
07-31-2008, 1:12 PM
hehe me either..and normally would close one of them. I'd rather the thread stay here, but since I don't know if all the General Tech regulars visit Holowan, it doesn't hurt to have a "beacon" post ;)

Some smart guys/gals roam the Tech Thread so it's a good post to stick in there :D

I meant I wasn't the one who made the suggestion :xp:

_EW_

:headbump - Cz
 Marius Fett
07-31-2008, 1:20 PM
Ah, losing it in your old age eh ChAiNz? :p
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2008, 1:28 PM
Ah, losing it in your old age eh ChAiNz? :p

I'll have you know I'm still sharp as a spoon, thank you very much.. harruuummph... :xp:
 Marius Fett
07-31-2008, 1:49 PM
:lol:

You just keep telling yourself that. :p
 TriggerGod
07-31-2008, 2:17 PM
I'll have you know I'm still sharp as a spoon, thank you very much.. harruuummph... :xp:

Yep, because spoons can inflict mortal damage to your enemies. Those are normal spoons. YOU! You can kill ;)

:lol:
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2008, 2:28 PM
hehe.. good to see everyone caught the 'spoon' line ;)

K guys, we had our laffs. let's try and settle irishladdy08's problem before we totally drown this thread. :)
 irishladdy08
07-31-2008, 3:18 PM
:L dont stop the crack on my account :) and ill try these suggestions now :D

EDIT: Didnt work :(
Page: 1 of 1