Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Legal Question about sound editing.

Page: 1 of 1
 Trex
07-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi all.

For my latest mod, I've been playing around with sound files. I have a decent amount of skill with audio editing, so I thought it might be interesting to try using the already existing voice files, take samples, and then try to create new dialog with them. It actually turned out alright.

Here's an example of Hk saying " Statement : As a result of that Mandalorian, some threat may be needed."

http://www.d-ex-d.com/testtest.wav)

I've also been playing with Bastila and Azkul's voices, and they also work pretty well.

My question is this : Am I allowed to legally do it and release the audio files with a mod?

I think a few other laws come into it since I'm manipulating the individual voice actor's talent, some 'performer's right', but I'm not sure. I think I should be okay as long as I dont 1) Make any money from it 2) Make them say anything insulting/racist/self insulting etc. 3) Never actually try to pretend it's them really saying it.

I think I'm right about it, but does anyone know better or for sure? I'd hate to get sued.:(
 Giant Graffiti
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
^^^

So long as you didn't mix things from K1 and TSL, you should be fine.
 jonathan7
07-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi all.

For my latest mod, I've been playing around with sound files. I have a decent amount of skill with audio editing, so I thought it might be interesting to try using the already existing voice files, take samples, and then try to create new dialog with them. It actually turned out alright.

Here's an example of Hk saying " Statement : As a result of that Mandalorian, some threat may be needed."

I've also been playing with Bastila and Azkul's voices, and they also work pretty well.

My question is this : Am I allowed to legally do it and release the audio files with a mod?

I think a few other laws come into it since I'm manipulating the individual voice actor's talent, some 'performer's right', but I'm not sure. I think I should be okay as long as I dont 1) Make any money from it 2) Make them say anything insulting/racist/self insulting etc. 3) Never actually try to pretend it's them really saying it.

I think I'm right about it, but does anyone know better or for sure? I'd hate to get sued.:(

I'm unsure about the technical legality; however I know several mods have used spliced dialogue; and as GU points out as long as you don't port; I can't see LA having any problems with it; given no-one else has been sued I don't think you will be ;)
 Trex
07-15-2008, 5:31 PM
I'm unsure about the technical legality; however I know several mods have used spliced dialogue; and as GU points out as long as you don't port; I can't see LA having any problems with it; given no-one else has been sued I don't think you will be ;)

Super! If other people have done something similar, I guess I can stop worrying.:)
 EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 5:55 PM
Hi all.

FWIW, I think it's perfectly fine. Because you're only using files that were distributed with the game, there should be no infringement.

Of course, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me. I'm not really a legal expert.

_EW_
 Revan81790
07-15-2008, 9:44 PM
Im looking online to see if it is illegal and I will let you know for sure if it is...:)

EDIT:

It is entirely LEGAL! You bought the game legally and as long as it is non-profit, it is legal.
 EnderWiggin
07-15-2008, 11:01 PM
It is entirely LEGAL! You bought the game legally and as long as it is non-profit, it is legal.

It being not for profit is not the only requirement ;)

_EW_
Page: 1 of 1