Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" vrs. "Knights of the Old Republic 2"

Page: 1 of 1
 The Source
06-10-2008, 8:40 AM
"Vampire the Masqurade: Bloodlines" vrs. "Knights of the Old Republic 2"
Since both games were released within months of each other, I thought we could do what the industry has not. Both games are from the science-fiction genra, and they both have unique and different feelings. Some people who I have talked to offline believe that "Vampire the Masqurade: Bloodlines" should have won game of the year, and "Knights of the Old Republic 2" should have come in a near second. Let the battle of the sequels begin. :)

What is your opinion and vote?
 stoffe
06-10-2008, 9:17 AM
Both games are from the science-fiction genra, and they both have unique and different feelings.

I wouldn't call Bloodlines a science fiction game. It takes place the year the game was made, on earth. It's more of a contemporary world with an extra occult layer added to it. :)

The games are good in different ways and are hard to compare directly (Bloodlines reminds me more of Deus Ex). But if I had to rate them Bloodlines would probably come out up top. It has an atmosphere that can be genuinely scary, and more player immersion than the KOTOR games.
 mur'phon
06-10-2008, 9:20 AM
I agree with the "offline people", though both games are amazing.

VTMB showed us a dirty grey world that held me hostage for days. Roaming the streets as a hungry gangrel freed from the knee-jerk morality of Bioware games, in world that managed to be fiction yet highly realistic. Real choices, gritty grey realistic world, fantastic voice acting, several "oh" and "yikes moments, and a working combat systems (RPG's take notice) makes this my favorite game of all time.

Pigs flew when KOTOR got me intrested in Star Wars, Hell froze over when the sequel managed to get me intrigued. If only it had been finished, VTMB would have to share the top spot, but c'est la vie.
 Lange
06-11-2008, 7:12 AM
I prefer Bloodlines.
 igyman
06-11-2008, 7:35 AM
Yes, it's very difficult to compare them and were this a poll Bloodlines vs. KoTOR 1, KoTOR would have won, but I think when compared to TSL VTM: Bloodlines wins by a landslide.
 mur'phon
06-11-2008, 7:55 AM
were this a poll Bloodlines vs. KoTOR 1, KoTOR would have won

Yes, but we both know that Bloodlines is the better game:D
 Kristy Kistic
06-11-2008, 8:08 AM
Bloodlines is one game that I can say I actually got lost in. And yes, there were some creepy moments. One thing I absolutely loved about Bloodlines is the freedom to attack at will. Usually after I had completed some quests, saved the game, and was tired of playing I would go through the streets and clobber everyone in whatever city I happened to be in. Kind of fun to have the citizens form a mob and come after you. :D
 tk102
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Kristy's words are true for me too. I suppose It's not fair to say VtM:B made a much stronger impression on me as this was probably due to adrenaline. In terms of gameplay, I felt the difficult battles in VtM:B were more difficult and the easy battles were simply more fun than those in K2. I never felt much empathy for the Exile so his adventures didn't really pull me in.

The soundtrack in VtM:B was also excellent and contributed greatly to the mood.
 Q
06-11-2008, 2:32 PM
This is a tough call.

Both games were immersive in their own ways, but whereas I still enjoy a playthrough of TSL every now and then, I've pretty much played VtM:B to death, at least for now.
 Rogue Nine
06-11-2008, 3:56 PM
Let the battle of the sequels begin.
VtM:B was not a sequel.
 Corinthian
06-11-2008, 4:16 PM
Redemption never happened. IT DIDN'T EXIST.

Anyway, Bloodlines, for sure. Reason? Bloodlines was buggy, but at least it was finished. Besides, it didn't feel the need to fix what wasn't broken, whereas Kotor II tried too hard.
 Achilles
06-11-2008, 4:17 PM
I've pretty much played VtM:B to death, at least for now.I find that whenever I blow the dust off VtM:B I end up playing it 3 or 4 times before I get tired of it again.
 SpaceAlex
06-11-2008, 4:44 PM
They both have a dark atmosphere, excellent characters, excellent voice acting, excellent story; so I like them both the same. That's all :D
 Lantzen
06-12-2008, 7:19 AM
Let's do a quick head count on how many time i finish both the game.

Vampires: 1, but i have done like 5 diffrent characthers that i never finish it with
Kotor 2: Think i lost track on how many time i played it and finish it around 10 or something

But i still think both are great games, but Vampires had so many bugs and it lagged down my hole computer even when i had a really good computer. Thank god for unofficialpatches
 Corinthian
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Bloodlines has bugs. TSL is unfinished. I think I'll take the bugs.
 Q
06-12-2008, 1:57 PM
Those unofficial patches must be really good because I never ran into any bugs with VtM:B. Lag, yes, but then again my computer is ancient and I was playing at 1680x1050. I have heard that the bugs were pretty bad, though. I don't know: As great as it was, KotOR2's lack of an ending really ticked me off, so that's probably going to be the deciding factor here.

VtM:B it is. :)
 Corinthian
06-12-2008, 2:00 PM
A more fair test would be Bloodlines with the unofficial patches versus TSL with the Restoration Project.
 Q
06-12-2008, 2:04 PM
True, that, but since the RP is still MIA I'm going to have to go with VtM:B for now.
 Corinthian
06-12-2008, 7:53 PM
Likewise.
Page: 1 of 1