Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hillary Clinton as "the fiscally responsible candidate"

Page: 1 of 1
 Achilles
05-30-2008, 4:24 PM
Link (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/05/29/politics/fromtheroad/entry4136323.shtml)
First, let me start by saying :lol::lol::lol:

Okay, Hillary sez:"If you will vote for me next Tuesday, you are voting for the most fiscally responsible candidate on either side of the aisle,"

Since I'm busy laughing myself out of breath over here, allow me to share a couple of quotes from the article:

There are a couple of problems with this claim, though. First, her campaign is approximately $20 million in debt, even after she loaned over $11 million of her own money to the cause. Actually it's $11.4 but no point in quibbling over $400,000.

Several vendors and suppliers have come forward to say they are owed money by the campaign, To put it mildly. Many of these vendors are actively trying to recoup what they are owed. Some of them report being lied to and many of the them complain that their phone calls aren't being returned.

and her former chief strategist, Mark Penn, is owed $5 million for his services before he parted ways with Clinton. No comment (okay one comment: 9% of all campaign funds went to Penn's firm (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/04/08/penn_fees/)?) Wow!).

Second, Clinton received more than five times the number of earmarks than any other senator, according Taxpayers for Common Sense. Their report also found that Clinton is responsible for receiving over $2 billion in earmarks from 2002 to 2006, which is more than either Barack Obama or John McCain. Well that doesn't bother me. It's unfortunate that "earmarks" are synonymous with "pork barrel" these days, so I guess I'd need to see some evidence that these earmarks were going toward pork before I could...

The report set off controversy when it was revealed that Clinton, and the senior senator from New York, Charles Schumer, supported a $1 million earmark for a Woodstock museum....feel comfortable lambasting her for...oh. Nevermind.
 Jae Onasi
05-30-2008, 4:33 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You have no idea how badly I needed a good laugh today.

I have no idea if her earmarks are pork or not, either. Since she represents the state with the biggest city in the nation, I'd expect her to have a few more than the senators from, say, WY or SD. The fact that she's a Clinton doesn't hurt.
 JCarter426
05-30-2008, 5:03 PM
:rofl: Oh, this is too good. Especially McCain's comments about Woodstock. :D

Oh, and yes, Clinton was right about one thing: she has been the only one to give numbers. Whether those numbers actually mean anything is a completely separate matter. ;)
 MdKnightR
05-31-2008, 1:16 AM
 Arcesious
05-31-2008, 1:27 AM
Fiscally responsible indeed! :lol:

Just... Wow... Okay, these are the worst three candidates I've ever seen in an election! Especially *cough* Hilary *cough*... :lol:
 Achilles
05-31-2008, 2:08 AM
You would've preferred Rudy Giuliani and Mike Gravel in the General Election, eh? That's cool.
 mur'phon
05-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Hillary is a candidate? Well in that case the "wounded" black knight is a dangerous adversary:D
 Achilles
05-31-2008, 2:21 PM
^^^^

I guess we'll know more after today's Rules and Bylaws Committee meeting. If by some miracle everything goes in her favor, we might still be left with a convention fight in August. If any reasonable agreement is made, then we might be able to hope for an end to this by Tuesday.

PS: TPM Media is doing live blogging from the meeting if anyone is interested in following along. Link (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/)
 EnderWiggin
05-31-2008, 2:31 PM
I assume we'll have a new thread as soon as a decision is reached, yes?

A lot could be determined today. I'm a bit excited.

_EW_
 Achilles
05-31-2008, 2:50 PM
I assume we'll have a new thread as soon as a decision is reached, yes? It's possible.

A lot could be determined today. I'm a bit excited. Me too :)
 mimartin
05-31-2008, 3:02 PM
A lot could be determined today. I'm a bit excited.
It is a long way till November, but if the poll number hold up the next President of the United States could be determined today.

I’ll be glad when we get back to deciding elections the old fashion way and actually counting votes. I’m tired of mediators and judges settling elections.
 Achilles
05-31-2008, 3:13 PM
I’ll be glad when we get back to deciding elections the old fashion way and actually counting votes. I’m tired of mediators and judges settling elections.You mean like "never"? :)

The electoral college has always decided the Presidency :(

EDIT: Except the time that the Supreme Court did.
 JCarter426
05-31-2008, 3:19 PM
And the time the Electoral Commission did. ;)
 EnderWiggin
05-31-2008, 3:39 PM
EDIT: Except the time that the Supreme Court did.

Yeah, and we all know how well that turned out :rolleyes:

_EW_
Page: 1 of 1