Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Voiced MI1 and MI2

Page: 1 of 1
 Monstrosataur
05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Sitting at work staring at a stupid screen all day, I was thinking to my self...
Why does know one just get the orginal MI1 and 2 and just put voice on it. It must be really easy to do because the game is there and the script.
I realise that maybe it would be expensive to get voice actors and to get the guy from MI3 and 4 back, but I am sure that maybe Lucas could run a competion to get fans who want to do it for free and use them.
 Joshi
05-24-2008, 8:22 AM
I suppose if some fans wanted to get together and put their voices in they could (until they were shut down by the LucasArts Legal department), like you say, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Frankly, it's quite clear now that LucasArts don't care much about their old properties anymore, they put in minimal effort to re-release some of the old stuff so that it works on XP, but beyond that, they won't spend the money for voice actors and won't care enough to get fans to do it for free since it would still cost money for them to re-package the games and distribute it.

The only cost effective way of doing it would be to get the free actors as you suggested and release it as a patch, but as I say, they really don't care enough anymore to do that, so they won't.
 Monstrosataur
05-28-2008, 1:52 PM
I see what your saying.

Maybe if someone knew how to do it, or was willing to explain it or whatever I would gladly help or even do it my self. I could easily record the voices and have some decent equipment to do it. But I would just have no idea how to put them into the game.

(And dont say record them all onto tape and try to play the game at the same speed!) :P
 Joshi
05-28-2008, 3:00 PM
I have a programming degree, but I wouldn't really want to get into it, I can get to the source files, but I think adding voices would require some kind of redesign to the game that would get it to play wav files (at the moment I believe it's sound effects and music is done through MIDI) when something is needed to be said.

Personally, I don't have much time to do it, nor the inclination.
 Fealiks
05-28-2008, 3:07 PM
Brilliant ideas like this are common but never get used. Monkey Island fans are just too few and far between for this to really work nowadays. :/
 itchythesamurai
05-29-2008, 1:11 AM
Best case scenario that will never happen: LucasArts puts voices on MI1 and 2 and releases them as special editions on the Wii for cheap.
 Captain Blizzard
08-31-2008, 5:01 PM
I don't mind the voices not being there; the music and atmosphere makes up for it, in my modest opinion. The idea is nice, though, but its likeliness of happening is debatable. I wouldn't hold my breath, personally.
 Fealiks
09-07-2008, 3:31 PM
Best case scenario that will never happen: LucasArts puts voices on MI1 and 2 and releases them as special editions on the Wii for cheap.

That's not gonna happen any time soon, but if it did, it would be brilliant. I imagine they'd add updated music too (that is, the same music but re-recorded with real instruments at high quality. I can imagine lots of nice fingerstyle guitar and accordians :D)
 TheJoe
10-02-2008, 1:51 PM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192665)
I'm on it, hold your pants... Unfortunately it's currently impossible for MI1.

I don't know, is that purple UI version thing of MI1 actually the same SCUMM version as MI2?
 Joshi
10-02-2008, 3:06 PM
Yeah, saw that thread yesterday. Good luck with that. :)

And yes, I believe it's the same Scumm Version (do you mean the CD version of MI1?) so it may be possible. ;)
 TheJoe
10-02-2008, 3:15 PM
Well I'll have a play around with MI1 anyway. *whacks out the test speech*

EDIT:
IT WORKS!
 Joshi
10-02-2008, 3:50 PM
Woo! I'd totally audition to be a voice, but I got me no mic.
 TheJoe
10-02-2008, 3:53 PM
 Giant Graffiti
10-02-2008, 4:36 PM
And yes, I believe it's the same Scumm Version (do you mean the CD version of MI1?) so it may be possible.

IT WORKS!
Dang. Does it only work with the CD version? I wish there was a tool to extract the files from the Sega-CD version. :(
 TheJoe
10-02-2008, 4:39 PM
Scummtr supports the Sega CD version, who knows, it might work. I found out it worked in MI1 by extracting the dialouge with Scummtr then assigning a speech file then reinserting it.
 CrisG
10-25-2008, 3:22 PM
This project is a great idea, but i urge you to run it past the folks at Lucas Files who approve mods for all LucasArts games, as it is a modification of the file set, albiet a wonderful one. Good luck with the project.
 Joshi
10-25-2008, 3:48 PM
Actually, Lucas Files aren't directly affiliated with LucasArts, they're a fan run website who don't approve mods, they just host or link to them and help support them (although it would be handy to get in touch with them for you to get the mod on their website so more people will get to it).
Page: 1 of 1