Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is it possible to add new baseitems?

Page: 1 of 1
 dcinroc
05-18-2008, 3:32 PM
I wanted to add a new category of weapons to the baseitems.2da. Is that possible?

If so, how do I do it?

What I want to do is add a hvy rifle category (just as there are two categories for pistols and repeaters, regular and heavy).

A related question is how can I switch the base item type of an existing weapon? For example, if I wanted to use "bowcaster" as the baseitem for the Plasma Rifle instead of "blaster rifle". It is easy to edit the line, but then the weapon will show up blank in-game. So what needs to be done to keep the same models and textures while changing the base item type?
 ForeverNight
05-19-2008, 8:22 AM
Alright, you'll have to open up the baseitems.2da file with KotOR Tool's .2da editor.

From there you have to go to the rifle catagory and copy it, then go to the bottom of the page and, from there, copy the line... Then you want to figure out what the line number above your added line is and then make your added line the next number.

Then you want to change the name to Heavy Rifle and save it, clicking away from your editations.

Then, you'll want to drop your newly made baseitems.2da into your override folder in your KotOR Folder.

Open up KotOR Tool/keep it open and go to tools ->Options and check the box that makes it check in override for .2da files and use those instead of the real ones.

Then open up a .uti file and start editing it to match what you want and when you're done, you can change the baseitem to Heavy Rifle...

Hope that helps!
 dcinroc
05-19-2008, 9:04 AM
Open up KotOR Tool/keep it open and go to tools ->Options and check the box that makes it check in override for .2da files and use those instead of the real ones.

Then open up a .uti file and start editing it to match what you want and when you're done, you can change the baseitem to Heavy Rifle...

Hope that helps!

I appreciate your help!

Editing the baseitem.2da is simple enough, but I am not sure what you want me to do with the Tools->Options. I didn't see a box such as you describe.

Also, when I went to edit the uti, my new category (Heavy Rifles) doesn't show up on the scrolling list of Base Item types, so wasn't able to change the base item.
 Xalard
05-19-2008, 9:10 AM
Tools>Options>Other>Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files.
Then, you must put your edited baseitems.2da in override, and any new entries should show up on list in items editor.
 dcinroc
05-19-2008, 9:22 AM
Tools>Options>Other>Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files.
Then, you must put your edited baseitems.2da in override, and any new entries should show up on list in items editor.

Thanks! Got it.

One oddity though...the Base Item Type is reading as "airspeeder".

I did an in-game check to see if the changes had occurred on the weapon, and they had. Just not sure why it uses "airspeeder" and if this might cause problems.
 Xalard
05-19-2008, 9:46 AM
'name' column contains reference to string in dialog.tlk. You've probably set it to one that says 'airspeeder' ;p

EDIT:
it's string 568, isn't it?
 dcinroc
05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
'name' column contains reference to string in dialog.tlk. You've probably set it to one that says 'airspeeder' ;p

EDIT:
it's string 568, isn't it?

Yes, that's what I assumed, but have tried 569 and 570 as well with the same result. I tried to heep it set at 567, but it won't allow it.

It doesn't matter to me if it says airspeeder...but do you think that might cause any conflicts within the game?
 Xalard
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
It does nothing in-game as you can't see baseitem of item. it's used only in KT item's editor.
If you want to make it any sensible, you can change that to 6028-'Mandalorian Assault Rifle'.
 dcinroc
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, thanks. :D
 ForeverNight
05-20-2008, 8:20 AM
Just thought I'd pass this along...

You see where on the name column in baseitems.2da where the numbers go?

If you switch that to **** (I mean four astireks(Sp?)) then the name Heavy Rifle will appear in the baseitem field in the uti editor...

Hope this helps with that... don't think you'd like to have multiple airspeeders and try to figure out what they are!
 dcinroc
05-20-2008, 8:28 AM
That was very helpful, thx.
Page: 1 of 1