Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

compatibiltiy issues

Page: 1 of 1
 Zadox
04-07-2008, 9:11 PM
how can you make mods compatible with others?
 HdVaderII
04-07-2008, 9:53 PM
It depends what type of mods you are combining. If there is a 2da in the mod, you need to use the TSL patcher, but if there are uti, utc, utw (ect) files, with the same name, you can't really make them compatable. One will simply override the other.
 Master_Crush
04-07-2008, 9:56 PM
That depends...Are we talking about 2 mods, or one mod but you want it for 2 games?

If 2nd: Thats illegal. Its called porting.
 The Betrayer
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
@Master_Crush
The second is NOT porting. Porting is when you transfer a game file from one game to the other.
@Zadox
please be more specific.
 Zadox
04-08-2008, 7:14 PM
I was trying to get two mods to work for kotor. The dark brotherhood mod and the yavin planet mod. They have a global file issue. Also there is the 2da file conflict. I'm not to familiar with modding. How do I get the TSL Patcher?
 RedHawke
04-09-2008, 12:42 AM
You don't use the TSL Patcher, the mod maker must package their mod with it (Sadly many do not).

As for Global.jrl merging that can be done with a JRL Merger tool available from our tools page here. (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) There is also a 2da file merging tool, but be careful as not all 2da files can be just merged then be expected to work, some are finiky.

Edit: Also for the future starting a thread like you did here with absolutely no specifics is really a bad idea, take some time when you post a thread as this is a forum not IM so you need to be as clear and concise as you can be when you ask something at least if you want an answer that is... cause we can't read peoples minds... if I could I would be making millions playing poker. ;)
 JFSOCC
04-09-2008, 6:54 AM
I'm no modifier, but I think I know the answer nevertheless: to make a mod compatible with another mod, you need to find out which files are changed (and how) by the other mod. you then need to make sure that your mod does not alter those files, or, if you can merge files (using TSL patcher, for instance) that it doesn't overwrite lines already in use.

if you wish to make a mod that works both with, AND without another mod, then you need to have 2 separate installs/mod files. 1 for the original, which alters whatever you wish to alter, and one for a modified version, where the files are the same, except the files where there would otherwise be mod-conflicts. these files would be altered specifically to be compatible with the mod, but should ONLY be installed if the mod you wish it to be compatible with is installed.

(example is the colour crystal pack, which has 2 extra files for use with the envidia's smugglers compartment mod, which you only install if you already have the smugglers compartment mod installed.)
Page: 1 of 1