Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

help starting out...

Page: 1 of 1
 Drizzt312
04-03-2008, 4:35 PM
I would like to start modding (starting small with some skins and stuff) but i don't know how. What do i need to be able to skin and stuff?
 Marius Fett
04-03-2008, 5:07 PM
Hello! :)

If you're looking to start modding, you should really choose one area you would particularly like to learn about. (This could be skinning, scripting, 2da editing, modelling or any other areas you can think of.) Then start of as you say "small".

If you're looking to start with some simple skins, i'd recommend visiting the skinning section of tutorials at the top of Holowan and going through some of the things posted in there.

Also, it's good just to experiment with the graphics package you are using (Photoshop, PaintShopPro,GIMP or Paint.net etc...) before trying to skin or texture ingame items, just so you can get a feel for them and see how different features do different things.

Then, after you're comfortable, you should start by skinning something simple, like a robe or piece of armour. Then move on to harder things, like big ingame objects. Then try a few module reskins.

Slowly, you'll start to see an improvement in your skills as you keep on practicing.

After you are confident in skinning, you may then want to go on to modelling. Good skinning and modelling skills compliment eachother well so as long as you are willing to put in a lot of effort that is (at least logically) the next one you should try.

Also, downloading a few mods and looking at the different files to see how they are linked and what each one does will help alot. ;)

-DDD
Page: 1 of 1