Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A Question on "Dogfighting"

Page: 1 of 1
 Bobio
10-10-2001, 4:58 PM
Is there any sort of dodge or miss factor factored into whether or not air units hit each other when fighting, or when missle are targeted on air units :eek:
 Eets
10-10-2001, 5:01 PM
Originally posted by Bobio
Is there any sort of dodge or miss factor factored into whether or not air units hit each other when fighting, or when missle are targeted on air units :eek:

Nope, just ships whacking other ships with lasers.
 Bobio
10-10-2001, 5:08 PM
Damn. It'ld be nice if they put one in so atleast the number of hits and damage taken would be random or based on pilots accuracy while the images weren't :eek:
 darthfergie
10-10-2001, 5:35 PM
Originally posted by Bobio
Is there any sort of dodge or miss factor factored into whether or not air units hit each other when fighting:eek:

Yes actually...because if you remember in the demo there are techs to IMPROVE YOUR ACCURACY...
 Influenza
10-10-2001, 6:11 PM
Yet another laaaaaame feature of GBB.
 darthfergie
10-10-2001, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by Influenza
Yet another laaaaaame feature of GB.

And a HELLLLLOOOOO to you too...

Another disciple of Viper...:rolleyes:
 Luke Skywalker
10-10-2001, 6:22 PM
Nooo we must squash him immediatly! Brain wash him! Go go go go go! Lol no, just don't turn into another viper. No one wants that. Join the Anti-DSC. Youll be joining the good side. :)
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-10-2001, 8:22 PM
What's the anti-dsf army (been waiting to ask for that for some time :rolleyes: )

What's the lame feature? Upgrades or stand-still dogfighting?

You can move your fighters, you know ;). An X-Wing squad attacking a TIE Fighter squad from 3 o' clock (to clarify: From starboard :D) will have to worry about accuracy.
 Influenza
10-10-2001, 9:37 PM
Who the **** is Viper? You think that because I think for myself (instead of waving your "Anti-DSC" banners) and realize this game could be a LOT more true to the Star Wars universe makes me someone's lacky? Jesus christ. All of you who blindly follow this game simply because it's "Star Wars-y," while blindly overlooking its many faults because you don't know what a great game this could be...all of you are the real disciples here, being a bunch of LA junkies.

Goodness. And I thought Star Craft addicts were horrible. I've never been dismissed at a SC forum for providing a valid point rather than go along with the crowd and accept the bad points of the game.

So :rolleyes: to you.

Oh, the lame feature I was referring to was the stand-still "dogfighting." And rest assured, it's not the only one.
 dlayers
10-10-2001, 9:52 PM
If you don't like the game, why on earth would you hang out in the forums?

Some people need jobs

;)
 Influenza
10-10-2001, 10:04 PM
Well, I for one like to challenge people to open their eyes. Forums are about discussion and debate, not about endless praise of things which don't deserve it. Things like stand-still fighters, tanks that don't fire while moving, and ugly animations will never go away unless people realize they are problems and demand they be fixed. But most of the time no one realizes it (or even bothers to look) until someone else points it out to them. I'm here to point out to you.

It basically comes down to being really disgusted by ignorance and blind devotion. Don't worry, you people here aren't the only ones to face my wrath :mad: ;)

Plus, I'm a huge Star Wars fan who is sorely disappointed at the (demo) state of the game. I was really looking forward to this game. There is/was plenty of time to change things between the demo and the game going Gold. Perhaps by posting here I can do my part to make the game better.
 darthfergie
10-10-2001, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Influenza
Jesus christ. All of you who blindly follow this game simply because it's "Star Wars-y," while blindly overlooking its many faults because you don't know what a great game this could be...all of you are the real disciples here, being a bunch of LA junkies.

Thanks for your comment...:rolleyes:
1) I never bought FoCom
2) Never bought Phantom Menace
3) Never boutght Podracer
4) Never bought Jedi Power Battles
5) Never bought Battle For Naboo

Think before you talk okay. It makes what you say sound a whole lot more thoughtful. Not all of us here are "blind followers". Sorry to dissapoint you and your stereotyping, but oh well. Thanks for your uninformed comment...good bye...
 Influenza
10-10-2001, 11:42 PM
...then I wasn't talking to you. "All of you who..." means I was only talking to those people whose description followed, specifically those who "...blindly follow this game simply because it's "Star Wars-y," while blindly overlooking its many faults because you don't know what a great game this could be..." Since you aren't one of those LA junkies, I wasn't talking to you.

Would it be better if I talked in smaller sentences? With smaller words? Then would people read and comprehend what I say?

And besides, my comment was in response to your stereotyping me as some Viper character's "disciple." Perhaps you should take some of your own medicine, hmmmm?
 darthfergie
10-10-2001, 11:59 PM
And besides, my comment was in response to your stereotyping me as some Viper character's "disciple." Perhaps you should take some of your own medicine, hmmmm?

Sorry about that...Viper just gets really anoying...and the LAAAAAMMMMEEEEE feature thing got me anoyed...

Oh well. Have fun tring to flame everybody...;)
 Lord JayVizIon
10-11-2001, 12:15 AM
with this kind of engine, air units will not be as fascinating as xwing alliance other simulation type games. so far, they haven't really invented that kind of dogfighting in rts engines as of yet, but SC and SWGB will probably have the best air battles out of all the rts games i've played...

i suggest homeworld for you or xwing alliance if you want to see some cool dogfights...:D
 DarkTrooper
10-11-2001, 12:32 AM
Never bought Phantom Menace
good idea u saved about 50 bucks $30 for the game which was too easy and with the price of gas these days $20 for gas
 Muuurgh
10-11-2001, 12:39 AM
My problem with the game is that it isn't very star warsey. It's just enough to get some people hooked, but not enough to annoy others like me. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, just not in my opinion a very good star wars game.
 Influenza
10-11-2001, 1:24 PM
but SC and SWGB will probably have the best air battles out of all the rts games i've played... Check out Total Annihilation, and the Star Wars mod for it. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see actual moving-dogfights, as opposed to the stand-still hover-in-mid-air fights that go on in both SC and SWGB.

Granted, it's nothing like SW:A or Homeworld, but it's still lightyears past either of the aforementioned games.
 radiocore
10-11-2001, 3:33 PM
If they could do something like they did during the SP mission where the xwing is being chased by the TIE in the foreground/background? that would be really cool. =)
 Tie Guy
10-11-2001, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie

Thanks for your comment...:rolleyes:
1) I never bought FoCom
2) Never bought Phantom Menace
3) Never boutght Podracer
4) Never bought Jedi Power Battles
5) Never bought Battle For Naboo

I bought and played all of those gamw, and all of them were great (except FoCom that is). I especially enjoyed Podracer and Jedi power Battles. Sure, tehy didn't have the best graphics, or the newest features, but they all had one thing in common, they were FUN!!! Thats all that matters to me, graphics and features are all bonus. To prove my point, i was practically addicted to a game called Jezzball a little while back. That game certainly didn't have the best graphics, or any features at all, but it was fun, so i played it alot.

Also, Influenza, i think that RA2 is twice as good as AOk, and 3 times as good as TA or any other rts. But you don't see me starting posting huge replies flaming GB simply because it isn't a RA2 clone. If you don't like GB, fine, thats your opinion. If you wanted it to be a TA type game, then you can make it yourself when you work at LEC. Until then, either accept the game or shut up. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but your way past that, it now seems that you simply have something against GB. You've stated your points...repeatedly, now let others epress their opinions in peace. If you want to reply to a topic, you can do it, but only post about that topic, and don't go off on why the entire game is horrible, that is just very annoying!
 Capt. Molo
10-11-2001, 9:04 PM
That is too bad that the dog fights are so lame. Wathing large battles between starfaights is something I looked forward to. :fett:
 Bobio
10-11-2001, 9:41 PM
If its calculated into the damage taken and Hit % or whatever its called, I could care less if I see the pretty pictures move :eek:
 EndSub
10-12-2001, 9:16 AM
"look at all the pretty lights......" :D
 JediMasterEd
10-12-2001, 9:20 AM
Accually, they can miss. I've had multiply dogfights with other people and my fighters miss sometimes.
 T.I.E
10-12-2001, 10:42 AM
People are going to complain no matter what, thats a part of life just dont them them sway you from what you want or your opinions. Influenza obviously hates this game badly but these complainers really dont have anything to complain about until the final game comes out. Thats when the dog poo hits the fan I bet.
Page: 1 of 1