Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Miles Sound Studio

Page: 1 of 1
 Point7Q
03-19-2008, 9:03 PM
I took the advice on the main startup info-thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143421) and downloaded Miles Sound Studio to access the KotOR sound files. But every time I try to decompress a file from the KotOR folders, the program says "No codec found for requested input type". Does anyone know how to fix this, or failing that, does anyone know of any other (free) programs that will let me access/play the source audio files?
 jonathan7
03-19-2008, 9:09 PM
How exactly are you trying to play the files?

In default directories the sound files are found here;

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\streamsounds

and

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\streamwaves

To play the files it should just be a matter of opening the miles sound studio, clicking open, go the above directory you want and selecting the file you want to play and clicking on it.
 Point7Q
03-19-2008, 9:24 PM
Wow. I'd like to first express my amazement and gratitude at the fast reply!

I was trying in streamsounds. After the post I tried in streamwaves, which will at least let me play, although nothing else. I was hoping to be able to do a direct convert into mp3 or a wav that's editable in audacity, but since I can't see how to do that I'll just use audacity's "stereo mix" input option and record what I need. If anyone a better way to do this that doesn't involve spending $40, I'd still like to hear it.

While I'm asking about stuff, the reason I want to have these files in editable form in the first place is so I can make my own music video for Duel of the Fates, using KotOR quotes and footage instead of Phantom Menace. While I can content myself with screenshots if I must, I would really like to be able to use real video. Does anyone know of a (free!) video screen capture program?

Regardless, I love this site and hope you all keep up the good work. If anyone's interested, I'll post a link when I finally get this done (whenever that may be).

Thanks again, jonathan, for your quick reply.
 Robespierre
03-19-2008, 9:34 PM
KOTOR files are actually .mp3 files renamed as .wav files (why they did so is beyond me). So to edit it in Audacity just rename the file to .mp3 and edit.

Also, if you select "open with" on the files and direct it to where Miles Sound System is installed (don't select "always open with this program") it will open the files automatically without having to open Miles Sound System first.
 jonathan7
03-19-2008, 9:35 PM
For free recording of in game clips; http://www.fraps.com/download.php) there will be a little fraps watermark somewhere in the picture and I think you can only record 1 minute long clips.

With regards the miles sound program, I don't know the program to well, however if I recall corretly there should be two modes; there is the sound player mode (for listening to files) and then there is the sound studio for compressing files and changing formats. On the start menu you should see the different icons for these, as for playing of files, its strange that your having these problems. Let me see if I can be of further help, have you gone fully into the individual subfolders e.g.

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\streamwaves\m03af\brej04

Edit: Good shout from loony636 there, I had forgotten that and it may well proove most usefull for your endevours.

and played the files from there? Was it music or vo you were wanting?

No worries for the quick responce :-), hope it was of some help.
Page: 1 of 1