Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Making Programs in Visual Basic

Page: 1 of 1
 Marius Fett
03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I've been making KotOR and TSL mods for quite some time now and have decided to have a go at making a modding tool.

A GUI script compiler and maker which allows you to save as an nss file by default and compile to an ncs.

I have absolutely NO programming knowledge whatsoever though...

Any advice on what to start with?
 James Isaac
03-06-2008, 12:00 PM
If you want to use Visual Basic, then I'd recommend downloading the Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/express/) (which is free). Then just search google for some beginner tutorials, or tutorials specific to what you're trying to do. Here (http://visualbasic.about.com/od/learnvbnet/a/LVBE_L1.htm) is the first one I came across which seems ok.

Edit: Looking back over that post that was probably a lot less help than you were expecting. Sorry about that...
 tk102
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I've...decided to have a go at making a...GUI script compiler...I have absolutely NO programming knowledge whatsoever though...Any advice on what to start with?
I'd start by moving the goal posts a little closer. :)

James, your advice actually is quite good. Visual Basic is a pretty good language for becoming acquainted with programming concepts and it gives you pretty GUIs to look at. If you can, take a class on programming at your school or community center. It will give you a good foundation and help regiment your learning. There are many resources to find online but not everyone has the focus to teach themselves new skills using the internet.

Regarding the script compiler specifically, that code was originally written in Visual C++ 6. I had the rare pleasure of wading through it to adjust its behavior for stoffe's TSLPatcher. Writing a compiler requires a very detailed understanding of programming, as you are essentially taking something vaguely human-readable and turning it into opcodes that a machine can understand. I avoided the guts of it whenever I could.

Please don't this discourage you from broaching programming! Making modding tools or any kind of working application can be a wonderfully rewarding experience and there is always more to learn.
 Marius Fett
03-06-2008, 1:54 PM
Nothing is ever simple is it... :lol:

I'll poke around online and see what I can dig up.

I'll see about classes at school or something too.
 urluckyday
03-06-2008, 6:28 PM
yeah, most schools will offer a programming 1 class (and even a programming 2 sometimes), and while these don't give you everything you need to know on how to get into the subject, they are the best way to give you a good foundation...I learned Visual Basic from a class, and while I can't do very much with it (since VB isn't that advanced), it will be easier to get into other more powerful languages if I decide to (it's been a long time since I last programmed...I barely remember VB at all...)...remember, practice makes perfect!
Best of luck!
Page: 1 of 1