Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question: What exactly is the thrill with the upcoming SPORE?

Page: 1 of 1
 Taak Farst
03-03-2008, 6:02 PM
I have looked at many trailers and images of Spore and it looks like one of those Viva Pinata games my sister plays! The only big difference I really see is that you can fight one another. A lot of the community simply cannot wait for it however. My question is this: What exactly are people looking forward too??
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-03-2008, 6:41 PM
Three names:

Will Wright
Sims
Maxis

Google it.
 Aash Li
03-03-2008, 7:38 PM
That really doesnt tell people anything. So its the new project from the creator of the SimCity and Sims... big deal. What if we didnt like any of those games? Whats in this game thats supposed to make us froth at the mouth?

Is it Sim Evolution? From what Ive seen I think it is... but other than that what?
 SilentScope001
03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Is it Sim Evolution? From what Ive seen I think it is... but other than that what?

1. Create your own race. Like Sims.
2. Take over the world. Like Civilization.
3. Take over other planets and genocide other intelligent species. Like Alpha Centuria.
4. Rinise and repeat.
 Taak Farst
03-04-2008, 2:33 AM
um... meh.
 Sabretooth
03-04-2008, 6:58 AM
I'm interested mostly in the fact that it is such a unique concept and a step ahead in games. The idea of having direct control over so many aspects of the game is genius, and could only come from Will Wright. Hell, his name commands that I play this game. :D

Imagine being able to evolve your own species, making them as you like it and the game just identifies how it will work. You can create your own vehicles, your own buildings, you can literally hand-sculpt your civilization! While the game does have violence, I think this focus on creativity and construction is pretty good in this age.
 Taak Farst
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
/\
l
l
Good Answer.

He actually did a proper answer to my question, why you peepz couldnt do it I dunno
 SilentScope001
03-04-2008, 3:39 PM
He actually did a proper answer to my question, why you peepz couldnt do it I dunno

I couldn't because I didn't understand the hype either. Still eventually buying it though.
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-04-2008, 7:37 PM
I have looked at many trailers and images of Spore and it looks like one of those Viva Pinata games my sister plays!
If you're going to play a game for it's graphics, you're better off stycking with FPSs.

Also, Viva Piсata is funny.
 Serpentine Cougar
03-05-2008, 12:08 AM
I like the start small, then grow and expand your horizons feel to the gameplay. You start as like an amoeba where all you can see is a pond, then you evolve and get on land and grow your species, taking over the planet, and then you start looking to other worlds to try to conquer them. I find it appealing.

I'm also intrigued by the fact that you can design your creatures however you want, and the game figures out how the thing walks, generating the animations. I just think it's cool that some of the stuff will be generated on-the-fly, not created beforehand by a bunch of animators. Though I don't know how noticeable this will be when the game finally comes out.
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-05-2008, 7:00 PM
Wright also had some comments on "community" that also grabbed my attention. Apparently, he wishes to have the good aspects of a MMO (interaction with other people) and take out the bad stuff (your entire playthrough ruined by a gamer with bad attitude).

How so?

Aside from the entire galaxy with the "thousand" stars they are including, people will also have an "editor" option (the game itself is already one big editor) to create their race, planet, tech and a whole galaxy. This player made content will be made available by them and can be joined with the galaxy you're in, expanding it on ways the devs never even imagined.
 swphreak
03-05-2008, 9:18 PM
Three names:
Will Wright
Sims
Maxis

That, right there, is the fomula for win. Frankly, if you're not into "god games" or Sim type games, you're probably not going to be interested in Spore.

Personally, I can't wait to just play around with the creature editor. The rest of the game is a bonus for me.

Edit: Because they rule: Comic 1 (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=199) and Comic 2 edited by Spore Team (http://www.vgcats.com/news/comic_spore_Will.jpg)
 SilentScope001
03-06-2008, 8:27 AM
Aside from the entire galaxy with the "thousand" stars they are including, people will also have an "editor" option (the game itself is already one big editor) to create their race, planet, tech and a whole galaxy. This player made content will be made available by them and can be joined with the galaxy you're in, expanding it on ways the devs never even imagined.

The player may also choose to 'block' races they hate, and then if many players decide to block one race, that race gets permeantly blocked.

In theory. It could all still pan out to be just as lame as a traditional MMORPG.
 adamqd
03-06-2008, 8:56 AM
Sounds Gash
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-07-2008, 5:52 PM
In theory. It could all still pan out to be just as lame as a traditional MMORPG.
Well, since you'll be specifically choosing what you'll download and you can remove it just as easily, I don't see much chance of that happening.
 Sabretooth
03-07-2008, 7:18 PM
The multiplayer section is more like a neat extra rather than a requirement, and there are no monthly fees either, so lame or not, I don't believe Spore will be "ust as lame as a traditional MMORPG". :p
Page: 1 of 1