Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The DTC RP Project Take 2

Page: 1 of 1
 starmark2k
02-29-2008, 1:41 PM
I tried this before over a year ago and it turned out to be a tremendous waste of time and effort, but I still had fun doing it and I hope those that got involved did too. So I thought I’d give this another go with a different opening premise for the project.

So for those of you who weren’t involved in the previous attempt at this we are simply going to create our own sci-fi franchise, make a universe to become our little RP playground. Once again I would like to get as many people involved as possible, newbies and old sorts alike, the only requisite for joining is an imagination. We will create everything from the people to the physics, the Politics to the planets and anything else a universe needs.

As we don’t want to start off in total confusion I’ll create the basic premise, the foundation of this creation of ours to begin to place our bricks of fun and adventure upon.

A question has plague the human mind since we first started to look to the stars: Are we Alone? This question was answered in the mid 21st century, when they made a mistake. An alien scout ship came to what they believed to be an empty area of space, it just so happened it wasn’t that empty and that ship crashed into Earth.

Fortunately for us the Aliens were friendly and shared their knowledge with us, so we too could explore the stars and expand our race. Eventually Humans put aside their prejudices for one and other to unite as one great Empire capable of being taken notice of on a galactic scale.

This project will work in the following six phases

Phase 1- The Basics- How the universe works, what has happened to humanity, e.t.c.
Phase 2- Empire Building- What the planets, Empire and Aliens (including humans) of our Galaxy are like.
Phase 3- Relationships- How the different Empires Relate (If at all)
Phase 4- Aliens, Groups, Cults and Organized Crime- The Non-Empire groups (Pirates, Gangs and companies)
Phase 5- The Fine Details- Anything that has to be sorted before we start the RP, Review maybe revise the previous phases
Phase 6- The RP- What we’re working Towards.

Now this needs to be built on and that's where you guys come in, so to get this process started I've come up with a few questions:

1) How long after ‘First Contact’ is it before the RP should start?
2) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How?
3) Is there some kind of mystical Power, like the Force?
4) Have Aliens been integrated into human society?
5) Have Humans began to evolve? Naturally, through GM or other means?
6) How many other Alien Empires should there be?

So Let us begin with you answering these questions, be as detailed in your responses as you like making suggestions and reasons to persuade us to your way of thinking. Also if you have a question you feel needs to be asked, just ask it so we can give our views on those subjects.

Although this will be a democracy every group still needs a leader or figure head and that will be me (I am the reason this is happening after all), I’ll try to be fair but in the end what I say goes although I may reopen arguments later on.

Have fun doing this and I hope we make something good.
__________________________________________________ __________________

I’ll begin by answering my own questions, remember these are merely my opinion and are not the way things will be, I would like to here difference of opinions.

I think it should be based early on in the development of a Human Empire, I’m not saying it should still be in the same decade but maybe one or two hundred years after the aliens first made contact. If we do this Humans can still be new to galactic affairs and be the underdog, and it’s always more fun to play the underdog.

2) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How?
With an RP like this I think transport should be more like Star Trek Warp drive with the ability to travel anywhere you want, however I feel this should be in it’s early stages (at least for humans) and it taking days to travel from one place to the next.

If there is power I think it should be explainable scientifically, like telekinesis or telepathy.

I think alien interaction should be pretty limited to the species we made first contact with but they are rarely seen on Earth. Although there is interaction with other races this is oftern done under the advisement of the first contact race.

No, I think the time frame wouldn’t allow for natural evolution, and I feel GM would probably be banned.

Lots, the more the merrier, all different kinds all different people to fill the galaxy/universe.
 steven
02-29-2008, 2:23 PM
Perhaps two or three centuries after first contact, during a time when Humanity is begining to make a name for themselves.

I like the hyperspace idea that we used last time. We had hyperspace gates that allowed fast travel across the galaxy, though hyperspace travel was possible without the gates, however it was much more dangerous. I would like to see the dangers removed from normal hyperspace travel (without the gate), however it can only be used by ships bigger than freighters.

Something along the lines of telekinesis or telepathy, but nothing like the Force.

Perhaps a portion of aliens have taken resident on Earth.

I agree completely with SM on this one.

I believe the number should be very high, however there should at least four or five "super races" that acts like the Americans and the Soviets during the Cold War.
 Writer
02-29-2008, 2:54 PM
Yah, the first time through was fun. I'll contribute again :)

Agreed on the time frame. Early on, maybe 200 or so years after first contact.

Warp drive or something similar. And since it's only about 200 years after first contact, it'd still have to be very new technology.

I'd vote no. Let's have it that there may be something of the sort among some of the aliens, but that the humans are earning renown for being remarkably 'unpredictable'. And though that would seem to put them at greater risk, they do an admirable job of living long, productive, exciting lives.

I'd say that there has been some integration. After all, we're talking about warp drives... that technology had to come from somewhere, and with our current level of technology, I think that outside aid could push us along a little.

Again, I'll vote no. As I said earlier, Humans are renowned for their ability to survive while still taking on daunting risks of a life interacting with more technologically advanced cultures.

Not too many initially, or at least not many the Humans are interacting with. There may be a bunch out there, but if we get too many involved in the RP, we'll flounder.
 DeadYorick
02-29-2008, 3:39 PM
I agree with writer. It should start 200 or more years after the first contact. So everyone knows aliens exist and there is no denial

Lightspeed or warp drive. Since practically all space travel sci-fi's have it

There should be some sort of ability such as being able to produce telekenisis or teleportation. The force sounds very cliche'd and would be to well noticed

Definately should happen. Then there could be a lot of conflict and possibly the ability to start out as an Alien character

I believe this could be very limited. Not entirely huge evolution but simple and not noticeable

I agree with Steven on his views. There should be several super races that are armed to the teeth in case of war.
 Rexraptor2000
02-29-2008, 4:02 PM
Roughly 100 to 200 years I'd say.
They have hyperspace drives which generate quantum wave fields that allow them to move over vast distances in short spans of time. In terms of physical description, a transparent wall of quantum energy forms in front of the vessel and passes through it, the ship disappearing as the wave moves. When the ship has completely disappeared, it dissipates. Upon reentry, the same occurs only the ship reappears. Short distances are more precise, but longer jumps are more random, and jumps can be affected by large gravitational forces. Generally only large ships can make long, precise jumps. Smaller vessels must make a series of small jumps to reach their location with precision.
No, just the way the universe works.
No, humans are pretty much separate from Aliens although there'd be some interaction due to trade and such.
No. Humans are adaptable the way they are and have not evolved.
Roughly three or four by my suggestion
 Master_Archon
02-29-2008, 4:30 PM
Although I liked what we created last time, I really think we shouldn't have given up on that/it so easily. But I've got to say hooray for a creative, and determined mind! (That means you SM. And, yes, it's a compliment.)

I agree with everyone else, somewhere within the premise of two centuries or so, maybe a tiny bit less....or something.
Um, well, I like what we had last time, it made travel interesting, and not too easy, as 'warp drives' would be a bit too easy of a form of travel. I'm not saying we should make it difficult, just not uber easy or fast or anything, just a kind of random travel, and by random, I mean anything could happen, especially because of the difficulties surrounding fledgling technology. Or something like that, I don't know, I'm just babbling. - Edit: - Rex has saved me! I pretty much agree with, and second what Rex said above, on this matter that is. :)

Nope, no mystic stuff. But telekinesis and telepathy are a bit redundant, and would also fall more under genetics more than anything else, maybe we should have something along the lines Mass Effect had (that would be Biotics, a kind of telekinesis, though, more easily explainable, and it had different abilities than telekinesis - I.E.: creating singularities, anti-gravity without the use of mental concentration, creating stasis', etc.), a kind of natural phenomena due to certain things/events/criteria that effect people and cause them to have aspects/abilities unlike other natural beings, except for maybe some more advanced alien species. Though I'm not saying we should base the idea around Biotics or Mass Effect in general, just giving an example. Though, from a certain standpoint, this could be considered genetic too.
I think after two centuries that aliens will be around most definitely in human society, maybe not in a huge way though. At most, 1 out of 3 of everyone, at the least 1 out of 4/5 of everyone would be alien. Maybe even less. But saying humans have totally/mostly segregated themselves (their society) from most other races would be mostly improbable, unless they're really prejudiced. Also, I would like to believe alien tourism would be a big commerce in human society, most definitely.

Now if we turned the coin and discussed aliens integrating us into their societies, then we're onto something more practical. They've been around longer - assuming - and have gotten used to finding and knowing of each other, and are - yet again, assuming - probably much larger, more powerful, and dominate a lot more than we do, and it should be safe to say that we would be integrating into their societies, not the other way around. Though, that's not saying aliens won't move to Earth or something, can you say, Vacation Homes!? :D
Maybe not naturally (not even two hundred years is enough for advanced, or even minor evolution.), but saying Genetic Mutation/Manipulation exists is more sensible, and saying it should be illegal, isn't quite right, it should be prohibited, most definitely, especially the more whacked out GM'ing kind of stuff, but, say, slightly enhanced sight, (yet again, Mass Effect reference, as well as a movie reference, though I can't remember it's name.) strength to a minor extent, fixing genetic problems in new/unborn children, would all be viable, with proper legal screening of the recipient of course. And the military would also most likely use GM'ing, even to a more extended point than public GM'ing.
A couple major groups, maybe not 'Armed-To-The-Teeth' aliens, but rather advanced, maybe even ancient races, a medium of maybe six, at most seven or eight, at least four or five (major races that is). While there are/is probably a fairly large number of minor races (still more advanced than we are though).
 Corinthian
02-29-2008, 4:37 PM
1) How long after ‘First Contact’ is it before the RP should start?Less than 100 years, closer to fifty, so that there are still people who can remember the days when we thought we were alone in the universe. Say, set in 2100. That would allow for sufficient advancement, particularly if humanity discovered technology from a fallen Alien race or traded with another race, assuming they weren't Stargate-style technology bigots.

2) How do people travel through space? Can they go faster than light? If so How? I've always liked the idea of Jump Drives. Rather than moving at FTL, they essentially act as temporary wormholes, jumping the ship to the next star or so. It could be set up so that jumps can only be done at the Lagrange Points of a star.

3) Is there some kind of mystical Power, like the Force? There's something not quite right about Science Fiction without something like this. I'd say some individuals within some races have mutated to have psychic abilities.

4) Have Aliens been integrated into human society? Not really. You'd see alien traders coming through Human spaceports and such, but unless it's a specifically mixed world, the only place you'd see non-trader Aliens on a human world is in an embassy.

5) Have Humans began to evolve? Naturally, through GM or other means? Aside from the aforementioned psychic manifestations, no, I don't think so. I like my two-armed, two-legged men.

6) How many other Alien Empires should there be? Many, maybe several for each race. So, I'd say about twelve spread across the Orion Arm of the galaxy. Not equal in terms of military power, but close enough that a coalition of three can stand against any of the others alone. This allows for a lot of politics, power games, and warfare.
 mur'phon
02-29-2008, 7:43 PM
1: Around 200 years after first contact

2: I'm with SM on this one

3: Part of me don't think mystic powers and sci fi mix, but if they are in they should be minnor.

4: Not really, while a fair amount of aliens live with humans, they are much like several imigrant groups are today, sticking mostly with their own kind with prejudices on both sides.

5: Is it common: no, legal:no, or maybe very restricted, used by some: yes. By the time the rp start, it apears safe to say that some genetic mutation would be possible. And if it's possible, someone is going to use it, legal or not.

6: I'm with corinthian on this one, though I would add a fair few minor races.
 starmark2k
03-02-2008, 8:38 AM
I was hoping someone else would have asked questions to help keep this going but as no one has I’ll through a few ore in.

7) What is the Diplomatic Climate of the Galaxy/universe? (Peaceful, Cold war, Some Localised War, All out War, etc)

8) Do energy based weapons exist? (Laser, Plasma, etc.)

9) Should Artificial Intelligence exist? If so should it be common or extremely rare. (I.e. should it be like one machine or could their be a whole race of sentient machines?).

Note: This question could be affected by the final outcome of Q2
10) How big shall the area of play be? (The Whole Universe, Galaxy, quadrant, etc.)

and my answers are

7) I think it would be more interesting if the space empires were all at war with each other, it would be more interesting to play that way and have plenty of action that way.

8) I think they should in the form of laser weapons.

9) In my opinion I think AI should exist but be limited to one empire that is solely made up of machines.

10) I don’t think we should go too far and limit the field to an area of space with around 5000 star systems in it (not all of which are habitable.
 Corinthian
03-02-2008, 12:02 PM
7) I think the wars should be more localized, no more than four empires at war at a time on average. It's possible that near the opening that we're in the buildup towards an all-out war. However, I don't think it should start in the middle of a Galactic War.

8) Yes, but the Terrans use mostly use electromagnetically propelled bullet technology (Railguns and Gauss Weaponry) with some limited uses of laser and microwave weaponry. The Aliens have a more esoteric collection of energy weapons.

9) Yes, but they're prohibitively expensive, particularly within Terran Space. So, you might see one aboard a particularly wealthy man's personal Spacecraft, or aboard a Terran Fleet Warship.

10: The Orion Arm of the Galaxy. It's a big area of space, more than large enough for many Empires to fight. There could be expansion efforts into the greater disk of the galaxy or other arms.
 steven
03-02-2008, 1:31 PM
7) What is the Diplomatic Climate of the Galaxy/universe? (Peaceful, Cold war, Some Localised War, All out War, etc)
I'd say there should be war between two or three alien races and the Humans unwittingly get drawn into it because Earth is a good strategical position.

They should exist however the humans should only have a basic understanding and don't really use it.

9) Should Artificial Intelligence exist? If so should it be common or extremely rare. (I.e. should it be like one machine or could their be a whole race of sentient machines?).
I agree 100% with Starmark on this one.

10) How big shall the area of play be? (The Whole Universe, Galaxy, quadrant, etc.)
I'm going to agree with Corinthian on this one.
 DeadYorick
03-02-2008, 3:13 PM
I agree with Steven. Alien war is always good

Yes but they are rather limited. At most rail guns appear rarely and plasma weapons used by the aliens. But other then that humans still use bullets and slugs

AI should exist but should be rather limited. I actually like the idea of a race of sentient machines being at war with another race of aliens

Note: This question could be affected by the final outcome of Q2
The larger the better. However I think a galaxy would be more realistic. Since I doubt anyone in the roleplay would want to wander into another galaxy
 Corinthian
03-02-2008, 3:30 PM
Alright, I'm going to say a few.

11: What is the current political state of Earth & and of Earth's colony worlds? Is it a fragile union of various nations? One single, global state? Something else? And are the colony worlds part and parcel with Earth, or is there relationship less stable?

12: How many species of Sapient Aliens exist?

My answers to these...

11: Earth is a single, mostly unified state that maintains as tight a grip as it can on it's colonies, but the outlier ones are fairly independent from it, despite paying lip-service to the Earth Government. Earth's government is a 'benevolent' dictatorship.

12: I'd say six sapient species, not counting any sapient robots or other artificial life-forms. They're not all unified, even within the same species.
 starmark2k
03-02-2008, 4:32 PM
^^
Thanks for the enthusiasm Corinthian but your first question is something that’ll be done when we reach Phase 2 and your second question is something that probably needs to wait until we answer question six due to there similarity.
 DeadYorick
03-02-2008, 4:34 PM
Starmark most of us have completely different answers to your questions. How are you going to decide what answers your going to implement?
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-02-2008, 4:59 PM
Quite early. Around half a century after the "Crash Landing". It would be interesting to roleplay during the time humanity is still discovering space travel and interaction with aliens. We would be getting used to this universe almost at the same time of the NPCs. Plus, there should be some people that still remembers the time when humanity was the only known sapient species, thus generating some prejudice.

FTL Warp Drives. But of the primitive kind. I think that most space travel should be, as in Star Wars, to Established Routes, as they're mostly safe not for space pirates or something similar, but because calculating new routes should be incredibly complex.

No. Unless it's by genetic modification (That as Starmark said, should be banned). But I think that such laws on the prohibition of genetic enhancements shouldn't exist yet and are still debated on Earth's Senate for ethics.
That said, there's nothing wrong with Alien species with superhuman abilities.

The species closer to us should have embassies on Earth and we on their Capital Worlds.

That's a bit redundant with the third question. But no, we haven't evolved, and for my thoughts on GM, refer to my third answer.

Not an absurd number. To be more precise, 9 would be a proper number on this section of the galaxy. Remembering that not all should be equal on military and/or economical power, but each with their own importance.

Random, regional wars, motivated by species private interests.

Yes. But they should be primitive and mostly restricted to starships, even for some alien species. Most of the races should use slug-based weaponry (With improvements, like bullet acceleration).

Yes, and extensively on the human daylife, and the Geth-Matrix paranoia against them should exist. As with GM, ethical discussions about this should exist on Earth's Senate.

Quadrants. Ours and the nearby.

So, if i got that right, Starmark, Corinth questions shouldn't be answered yet?
 Master_Archon
03-03-2008, 9:43 AM
7) What is the Diplomatic Climate of the Galaxy/universe? (Peaceful, Cold war, Some Localized War, All out War, etc)
I also believe it should be random, and dependent upon current events going on with certain species, governments, and factions. Though wars should be fast, and have no determinate outcome in the end (no one gains anything other than their surplus population's decline - .), not lasting more than two years at best, while major wars (Like a World War, only Galaxy-Wide) would be the only major wars to last any major amount of time, though they should happen extremely seldom, and only for good reasons (the rise of a tyrant for example).

Yes, but, yet again, I say we shouldn't be so redundant, lasers, plasma, and rail weaponry is used too often, we should try to find/make something different. Like, say, weapons that fire off minuscule singularities (just an example, that kind of tech would be a bit too advanced.). Or, something along those lines; or, better yet, mix two different techs. But if I'd have to say anything, rail/gauss/slug/accelerated projectile weaponry should be in it's [i]'Grandpa' years, and should be primarily used on starships, especially smaller ones; for use in combat, most of those weapons should be compact, because there's been enough time to develop and perfect them, though they're beginning to be outdated by new techs and weapon types. Also, they should be used as massive ship-to-ship guns as well, being powerful enough to blow a hole clean through another ship (that doesn't have any protection other than it's hull that is.).

Lasers should be an 'Adult' phase weapon type, being in development by most alien species, they should be wide spread within the Human tech as well, due to our capability to adapt, and reverse engineer alternate technology to fit our own criteria (even in modern times, right now.). They should be relatively 'modern-like,' meaning most hand-held laser weapons should be like what modern weapons are like today, excluding handguns, and smaller submachine guns, and they should be robust, and a bit troublesome, but not too primitive, or crude. On ships they would primarily be used as anti fighter/torpedo/missile turrets, as their basis of use (concentrated heat) would be best for predetonating and destroying those things.

Plasma weapons should be the 'Teenager' phase weapons, being used primarily for vehicles, and heavy infantry, as well as on medium to large space vessels, plasma is an advanced form of laser tech after all, and though it causes more internal than external damage, it's strength against armor is also superior to laser weaponry, and would be best used as the cumbersome, difficult technology used mostly as anti vehicular/armor weapons on the ground; basically they're the bazookas and mini-guns of the world, large and difficult, but powerful. On space vessels plasma should be use mostly on ships specifically designed to utilize plasma tech, and should be best for taking down ship defenses such as shields and kinetic/ablative/reactive/energized plating.

And like I said above, there should be a technology that we develop unique to our world/universe/galaxy/whatever it is, that is more of a 'Child' phase technology, mostly primitive, and new, it should be by far the most powerful, rarest, and above all, expensive, not to mention most feared. On the ground it would be primarily artillery based, with few and far-between hand-held weapons developed of that kind. While in space it should be a specialized weapon, used primarily as support for easily taking down smaller anti-capital vessels, and should be on either ships specifically designed for carrying that tech, and/or used on massive vessels like Dreadnoughts, Battleships, and Carriers.

Sorry for all that, but I wanted to put all of that down before I forget/forgot about it later on during this whole thing, because I have a time of recollecting my thoughts; so I just put them down for future reference. Hope that's okay with you SM! :)

Yes, and I agree with starmark2k on this, there should be a sentient synthetic race, like the Geth. But I don't believe there should be a present dogma/stigma on them, they should be "welcome" beings in the galaxy we're making, but they should also be misunderstood because of their non-organic existence and differences from us, and there should be prejudices and stereo-types pasted and hung above their head (showing our ignorance). While they could be enigmatic and secretive, I don't believe we should - yet again - be so redundant, and make them the 'bad guys' like in every other sci-fi that has a synthetic/AI/robotic/non-organic race. They could even be a singular race/species, that weren't created by any known race/species in the galaxy (as in, they could be an original race/species.). Or, they could be a species that evolved and advanced so much, that they literally became inorganic and synthetic (which would create the opportunity for peaceful relations with them.).

As for AI created by aliens/humans, yes they should exist, but only in limited quantities, and quite restricted/prohibited. The military would be primary in creating AI because of their use, while civilian use would be a rarity, and mostly for those with either the intelligence, or the money.

I say the Orion arm like Corinthian, it has plenty of space for making what we're developing in this RP, and it leaves room for exploration of the other arm of the galaxy, and massive wars/invasions from races from the 'unexplored territories.'
 Corinthian
03-03-2008, 1:51 PM
Whoops. I'll be more careful with my questions in the future.

I like Master Archon's suggestion for weapons. As for the Child One, what about a warhead merged to a Jump/Hyper/Warp Drive, whatever we use, that would bypass a warship's shielding/point defenses and directly impact the hull, or even reappear inside the hull and detonate. Incidentally...

11: Do Shields or anything similar to them exist?

12: Are Weapons of Mass Destruction of any kind in use, and what kind?

My answers to these,

11: Yes. Shields of some kind are needed to make micrometeorites not blow holes in a ship every ten minutes, and Space Battles tend to be bloody short when one good solid hit can make you blow if they hit you in the right spot.

12: Yes. Biological, Chemical, Radiological, and Nuclear Weapons I think should still be in use, especially by the technologically primitive Humans. Also, I think some kind of new type of WMD might be in use, though I can't think of any.
 patient_zero
03-03-2008, 5:34 PM
I agree with the "about a century" mark. Although humanity hsould be nice and settled with the concept of aliens and space travel, we don't want everything being too settled. It also gives us the chance to have "new technologies" appear as we go rather than Earth having already absorbed all other science in the known galaxy.

I can't say I'm big on physics, but if we're going to have some sort of hyperspace/warp thing I'd say short "jumps" or speed boosts should be the main type of accelerated travel. Longer jumps are possible, but the further you go the mroe likely you are to crash, so generally it's only done on what are effectively hyperspeed highways, either though the "established trade route" idea or a literal tunnel of some sort.

Special abilities should probably be either in the physical capabilities of the aliens or otherwise restricted to non-humans. Though I have no problem with there being some sort of technological way for human to become "special, for example through some sort of implant.

I think there should definetely be an alien prescence on Earth and a human presence across the galaxy, but as it's fairly early on we should still be in the "working on it!" stage of integration, though I do believe that we should have close relations with our First Contact and perhaps have integrated with them more closely. I say this because as we're new to this whole space travel thing many of the other Empires might not have taken much notice, and thus integration with them would be lessened.

I'd vote no, humans should be humans. Any GM alteration of humans should be viewed as experimental, and the test subjects would likely be in isolation.

There should probably be quite a few races, as Empires do not have to be made up solely of one race, but I'd go for there being a small amount of "superpowers" with a few smaller Empires wedged in between.

Fairly peaceful with some localized war between a few of the Empires. At least, to begin with. As we move on we'll be able to whip out the Galactic Conflict.

They should definetely exist, but probably won't have totally replaced slug weaponry on Earth. Lasers, as I see it, should be more the territory of "superpower" Empires, though our First Contact may have been nice enough to outfit us with some assuming they're fairly important. I imagine there would be a few Empires which are all for lasers and plasma, but also some that still use railguns and the like.

Though I think sentient supercomputers probably have their place, I do like the idea of there being a race of sentient machines in addition to some Empires having controlled robots for utility or combat. The sentient machiens could possibly object to the lack of freedom these droids have, which could cause some conflict between them and another Empire.

We would probably want the possibility of their being a universe or at least something beyond the galaxy, but realistically a galaxy is still big enough for us to play in.
 Rexraptor2000
03-03-2008, 9:59 PM

All out war. Worlds burning, guns blazing, no mercy.

I'd have to go with Master Archon's suggestion on this.

AI should exist, but in a sense programmed to be so deeply loyal to their faction/owner/government that they are near impossible to crack, making them somewhat common.

A galaxy is the most viable bet for this RP I believe.
 mur'phon
03-04-2008, 3:33 PM
7: Tense, the races are constantly scheming, making alliances and hiring privaters. Some could be trying to unite the races, while others have more to gain from stoping this from happening. And we could end up causing wars/ceasefires etc trough our actions.

8: I'm with masterA on this.

9:[RANT ALLERT]
Yes, and there are several kinds. The "workhorse A.I's used by civilians and military alike are fairly rare, ranging from the barley self-aware rich-boy's personal computer to the briliant capital ship A.I capable of advising officers, finding weaknesses and guiding entire fleets when the captains command. These A.I's would need authorisation from a human to do almost anything, a law made for several reasons.

One of the main reason for the "robotic safety" law is the existence of the *insert robotic race name*. Created by an alien race and ruled by the three laws (Asimov's, though "humans" would be replaced by all organic life/ sentient life/the creator aliens life), they where originally made to help said race expand into the universe. In the end, guided by the laws they tried to steer society towards what was best for the race/sentient life/organic life. When the creators realized what was happening, they tried to eliminate their creations. In the end they failed, some escaped and are now rebuilding far away, still trying to "manipulate" societies to become perfect.

Another reason for the "robotic safety law", is the cyborg rebellion. Before the creation of A.I's, the *name of earth government*, created a cyborg programme, where high positions, high wages where offered to those willing to become cyborgs. Many enlisted, and the combination of human creativity and raw procesing power proved to be a powerfull one. Soon the earth empire depended on them for managing everything in the empire. After a while, many cyborgs started to feel like they didn't fit inn, being barred from the higher offices, they felt superior to their bosses. Many hated to cary out orders they knew where bad, and inn the end many joined a group requesting to be alowed to leave the empire. The empire reacted by forcing cyborgs to wear death collars wich would kill anyone thinking of rebelling. Some managed to escape however, and in a desperate attac managed to hijac a cruiser, alowing them to escape. After the invention of A.I's, cyborgs where gradualy replaced and moved into prissons. The escapees are rarley heard about, though apparently they have made a colony and trade with aliens, and whenever prisson breaks happens in prissons with cyborgs, the government tend to blame them.

Alright, that turned out slightly longer than intended :xp: Like masterA, I just needed to get this down. While I like all the ideas, it should be fairly easy to use 1 or 2.

10: Orion arm.

11: shields are one of the cliche things I don't mind at all, I agree with Corinthian.

12: I'm with Corinthian on this one aswell
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-04-2008, 4:55 PM
11: Do Shields or anything similar to them exist?

Shields, yes. If we ever go deeply on space battle default tactics, it would be interesting to add things like the shield consuming vast amounts of energy, but taking some time to power up. Therefore, the shields would have to be turned on not too soon nor too late on the battle.

12: Are Weapons of Mass Destruction of any kind in use, and what kind?

Agree with Corinth.

And for the other weapons matter, I would propose a Gravitonic Weapon, that would somehow make the atmosphere of a stellar body so dense, that it would crush on itself. Sort like the Mass Shadow Generator. But unlike it, the Grav weapon would be restricted to small bodies, such as a Space Station or a ship.
 starmark2k
03-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry guys but due to other commitments I can't continue doing this, I asked three people if they wantedto take over but two said no and one never gave me a definite answer so unless someone steps up and decides to take the lead I guess this is going to have to be shut down.

Again sorry about this but feel more than welcome to continue without me.
 DeadYorick
03-15-2008, 4:08 PM
Starmark I could take over this rp if you wish
 starmark2k
03-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Sure, as isaid anyone can take control if they want to.
Page: 1 of 1