Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

EA to acquire Take-Two

Page: 1 of 1
 Pavlos
02-24-2008, 3:02 PM
They've done it again. (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080224/20080224005062.html?.v=1) Only this time it's $2.0 billion worth.

I smell a monopoly (http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/monopoly.gif) forming but it's probably just me.

Wonder what the guys at Irrational Games are thinking... selling their souls to Take-Two for Bioshock seemed like such a good idea at the time, didn't it?
 Web Rider
02-24-2008, 3:17 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking the whole Monopoly line too since EA first acquired BioWare. I mean, it's not like EA lacks the money or manpower to develop any of these things on their own. They just seem to be buying them out because they can.
 Achilles
02-24-2008, 3:25 PM
Ugh...hope this doesn't sully the future of my beloved GTA franchise.
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-24-2008, 6:21 PM
I smell a monopoly (http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/monopoly.gif) forming but it's probably just me.

I was actually thinking on two things when I saw this topic title.

First was a thought on when EA will be sued for monopoly. Second was if they're ever going to stop acquiring (bribing) studios.

EDIT: And it would seem that T2 answer was a sound: NO! (http://games.ign.com/articles/854/854553p1.html?RSSwhen2008-02-24_152300&RSSid=854553) Thankheavensforthat!
 SilentScope001
02-24-2008, 9:41 PM
EDIT: And it would seem that T2 answer was a sound: NO! Thankheavensforthat!

Nah. It's a standard: "I am waiting for you to offer me more money to sell my company, so give me it." Still, merger may fail. Who knows? I remember the good old Microsoft/Yahoo talks. Still do.

I don't know. I sorta don't care about EA or hate it as much as anyone else. I do however hate Take Two ruining the GTA series with repackaging the exact same game, and then possibly taking out the fun out of GTA IV (which was, running around killing people with massive tanks and absurd weaponary).
 swphreak
02-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Eh... It's only a matter of time til EA gets what it wants. Take Two will be assimilated.
 tk102
02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
EA = Everyone Assimilated
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-25-2008, 7:45 PM
After the assimilation comes the replicas: I smell Bioshock 2?

I do however hate Take Two ruining the GTA series with repackaging the exact same game
Considering EA is still EA (Let me emphases: Electronic Arts), would be they of any good to the franchise? I mean, it would be unacceptable for Rockstar to take so much time making GTA IV.
 SilentScope001
02-25-2008, 8:39 PM
Considering EA is still EA (Let me emphases: Electronic Arts), would be they of any good to the franchise? I mean, it would be unacceptable for Rockstar to take so much time making GTA IV.

At least then EA would be honest with their repackaging than Rockstar would be. That has to be a good thing. (I'll keep a cynical view of GTA IV until it comes out, and then if it is good, then I'll revise my view. Not before.)
 Char Ell
02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Looks like EA wasn't interested in conceding the #1 spot in terms of largest publisher to Activision Blizzard. :smirk2:

'Twill be interesting to see how things turn out. IMHO the odds of this deal going through are 60/40 against.
 Serpentine Cougar
02-26-2008, 12:07 AM
If there ever is a monopoly, maybe open-source games will step up to the challenge...
 Pavlos
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Actually, one good thing that could come out of an acquisition is Ken Levine and the System Shock licence both being in the same place. Then again... bring back SHODAN for a third run and I reckon she'd cease to be one of the best villains of all time and simply get thrown on the comic-book villain scrap heap.

I doubt there will ever be a full blown monopoly and if there is it won't last for that long. Too many game designers are in it for the art and the fun. A monopoly leads to stagnation; it has to reason to be creative as it itself is the only player it can compete against. So if companies infringe on their creativity then you can expect to see independent developers/publishers splintering off.

Anyway, I'd imagine the European Union/Congress would intervene to preserve the free market, wouldn't they?
 mur'phon
02-26-2008, 2:23 PM
Anyway, I'd imagine the European Union/Congress would intervene to preserve the free market, wouldn't they?

Of course, though that dosen't prevent EA from destroying a lot of good developers/licences.
 Rev7
02-26-2008, 8:04 PM
I smell a monopoly forming but it's probably just me.
Its not only you...

EA is a big company. Big companies do those kinda things.
 Da_man
02-27-2008, 6:19 PM
Wait a sec.. wasn't take 2 the creator of Oblivion and Bioshock?

We might actually see a good game come out of EA yet. :D
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-27-2008, 6:29 PM

More likely another rushed game.
 Da_man
02-27-2008, 11:55 PM
More likely another rushed game.
Oblivion and The Sims put together? :lol:

ObliviSims :xp:
 sayoko
02-28-2008, 4:40 AM
Oblivion 2008 maybe, and Oblivion Street 2008?
 Da_man
02-28-2008, 8:37 PM
Argonians Vs. Kaijhiits

:xp:
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-29-2008, 7:48 PM
I just don't want hear:

EA Sports... Big!

Followed by that hideous trademarked splash image.
 Char Ell
09-17-2008, 11:54 PM
So after much posturing over an extended period of time (6 months) it was decided that an EA acquisition of Take-Two wasn't the way to go. Maybe EA will try to entice the Houser brothers to join the EA fold next year when their contract with Take-Two expires.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ea-pulls-the-plug-on-take-two-takeover)
 Arбtoeldar
09-18-2008, 12:14 AM

Oblivion along with all of the other Elder Scroll games have been done by independent game studio Bethesda.
 jrrtoken
09-18-2008, 4:12 PM
Anyway, I'd imagine the European Union/Congress would intervene to preserve the free market, wouldn't they?The EU probably will, but Congress in the U.S. is a bit more, uh... "corporately inclined" when it comes to mergers. Case and point: they allowed Sirius and XM Satellite Radio, the nation's only two satellite radio providers, to merge, thus creating a monopoly.

Did anyone hear? EA is having a new corporate headquarters being built:

http://coh.tritonius.com/RPD04-BorgCube.jpg)
 Char Ell
09-19-2008, 1:11 AM
^^^
Apparently Take-Two didn't get the "Resistance Is Futile" memo. ;)
Page: 1 of 1