Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rebel Assault II on Vista

Page: 1 of 1
 Marius Fett
02-18-2008, 1:54 PM
As the thread name implies i'm trying to run Rebel Assault II...

However, when I try to run it I get this error:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd201/ryand-2007/Capture-1.jpg)

Any ideas?
 Astrotoy7
02-18-2008, 2:58 PM
nope, been there done that ;) Too many differences from direct 3d downwards

Once I started dual booting(xp in my case), this and similar compatibility issues for older games vanished :)

So unless you are keen on dual on booting, pop it back in the cupbaord > its not that good a game, and the eye candy vids can be seen on youtube nowdays, without needing to play the game ;)

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
02-19-2008, 1:49 PM
I like this game... :(

It works great on my XP desktop but on my Vista laptop zilch as you can see...

Ah well... Thanks anyway. :)
 El Sitherino
02-19-2008, 6:53 PM
Microsoft doesn't want you looking back. You must look ahead to the future, a dark and ominous future filled with ruling by an iron fist.
 urluckyday
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
I dunno...isn't it DOS based? I'm sure you could find something to get it to work if it is...DOSbox works on Vista now right? I dunno...I'm not a huuuge fan of the game, but I can understand if you want to play it...
 Sabretooth
02-20-2008, 1:49 AM
I think there should be that kinky compatibility mode thing (which I've never seen work)? Have you tried that? Set it to Windows 98 or something.

Then again, I don't see what you're doing with a Vista and without a dual-boot... :p
 Ray Jones
02-20-2008, 4:11 AM
I dunno...isn't it DOS based? I'm sure you could find something to get it to work if it is...DOSbox works on Vista now right?DOSBox doesn't work with DX games. Also, DOS based games would hardly ever call Kernel32.dll.

Either way - naaah!
 Astrotoy7
02-20-2008, 8:58 AM
Microsoft doesn't want you looking back. You must look ahead to the future, a dark and ominous future filled with ruling by an iron fist.

aw, cmon sithy :P

Why maintain backwards compatability with legacy 3D rendering, video and sound standards. When Toyota is designing their 2009 Prius, are they worried about making it retro-compatible with parts from your grandmoms 82 corolla ??

answer >> no.

To make complex, modern games that can fully utilise the capabilities of modern hardware, anything <DX8 just cant hack it.

There is no compatability mode that will allow you to play RA2. (The compatibility modes built into XP/Vista have limitations of course, and aren't really aimed at gaming)

For those really wanting to play the old titles...Dual boot, or forget about it. The choice is yours :D

The same goes for pretty much all of the old LA titles. Heck, even KOTOR/2 craps itself in Vista. No one is to blame, the game was made when Vista and the DX10 SDK were still on the drawing board.

such is the mode and pattern of life :violin:

mtfbwya
 Ray Jones
02-20-2008, 9:35 AM
I dug a bit and found out that RA II is, in fact a DOS game. But there is also a Windows version for it (maybe just a different exe on the PC CDROM).

However digging a bit more, it turns out urluckyday is correct and it runs on DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=1254&letter=R).

BTW, Astro, KOTOR/KOTOR 2 run under WINE. KOTOR 2 even is listet as "platinum application". :xp:
 Marius Fett
02-20-2008, 1:12 PM
Yeah theres a Windows 95 .exe file and a DOS version on the disc.

I'll try it with DOSBox now.

:)

Edit:

Nope, no luck. :(

It started but then crashed.
 Sabretooth
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
On the DOSBox page for RAII, you see these words in the comments:
Use this configuration:
[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

Also you need to set up the sound using the setup program, DO NOT use auto detect or the game will crash, manually enter the irq, base and dma and select sound blaster 16 as your soundcard.
Maybe that's your problem or something?
 Astrotoy7
02-21-2008, 5:31 AM
Vista has DX10, and can have DX9 installed along it it... I dont get how running a DX7? game will work.

If someone does get it working > I want screenies and a detailed explanation why!!

@Ray. That is a great option for those that dont own xp install discs ;) Im quite happy with my dual boot setup. XP is only intermittently used, but when required, is extremely handy to have.

mtfbwya
 Ray Jones
02-21-2008, 8:21 AM
Vista has DX10, and can have DX9 installed along it it... I dont get how running a DX7? game will work.What often fails to work is not DirectX but the old executable under an actual windows, like it is the case above. The exe is calling Windows functions/API calls which are not there anymore/have changed, like when you try to run a XP program under 2000 etc.

If someone does get it working > I want screenies and a detailed explanation why!!Because DOSBox simply satisfies the needs (APIs etc) of older games.

@Ray. That is a great option for those that dont own xp install discs ;) Im quite happy with my dual boot setup. XP is only intermittently used, but when required, is extremely handy to have.I don't like the idea to boot back and forth and back and forth and back and forth to switch between different games, or applications. Being able to start it all off from *one* system makes me happy. ATARI/Amiga/PSX/N64/DS/Gameboy/XBOX/DOS/Windows/Linux/younameit-based software without a single reboot simply kicks moar butt. XD
 Marius Fett
02-21-2008, 1:07 PM
I got it working! :D

Haven't fiddled with the sound settings yet but the game now runs.

Phantom TIE's here I come! :xp:
 Ray Jones
02-21-2008, 1:55 PM
heyheyhey :)
 Marius Fett
02-21-2008, 2:54 PM
I'll be installing Jazz Jackrabbit 2 next... :rolleyes:
 Astrotoy7
02-22-2008, 5:45 AM
ATARI/Amiga/PSX/N64/DS/Gameboy

Being able to start it all off from *one* system makes me happy...

which can be achieved by sticking to XP :D

I also have a dislike for retro gaming on the PC. Unless youre running in poxy windowed mode, 320x240(or less) looks shyte across a 30" native 1600p monitor :p

I wonder what shady and feverish reverse engineering will be able to achieve when the DX10 only games come out.

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
XP is a far better OS yeah, and by choice it would have been what I had on my PC.
Unfortunately all we could find was XP.

I'm sure Microsoft will update and fix the system as time goes by...

We just need to be patient. :)
 Astrotoy7
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
XP is a far better OS yeah, and by choice it would have been what I had on my PC.
Unfortunately all we could find was XP.

I'm sure Microsoft will update and fix the system as time goes by...

We just need to be patient. :)

I dont think they'll bother, and they shouldnt need to. If people are big on legacy apps, they should stick to a legacy OS. Building a complete backwards compatibility into an OS will make it more top heavy than it needs to be.

XP will give you that bridge between the old and new, and Linux can fill in some gaps too for those on vista without access to an XP disc.

mtfbwya
 Marius Fett
02-23-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not really keen on dual booting either...

I'mhappy with Vista even though there a few big bugs.

I'm even playing Sega Megadrive/Sega Genesis games on it!

The original Mortal Kombat...

Get over here!
Finish Him! :P
Page: 1 of 1