Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TFU for Wii: Is it worth?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-16-2008, 8:26 AM
Wii has been selling. Has been selling a lot. Sold more than the PS3 (Not that this is one hell of an achievement) and sold even more than the 360 that's one year older. That isn't actually a surprise, due to Nintendo focus on non-gamers this gen. Women are buying it, older men are buying it, heck, even you grandma probably bought it!

Ah, I just wished games did as good as the console. It's pretty much general knowledge that most third-party games don't sell well, especially when paired with the first-party (Nintendo) games, and even those don't sell as much as they could. It seems Nintendo's new strategy cuts two ways: Non-gamers buy their console, but don't do the same with the games.

My point being: Is releasing TFU for the Wii a sound strategic move of LA? Will a game mostly restricted to the Star Wars games/movies crowd pay up on these conditions?
 PoiuyWired
02-16-2008, 1:25 PM
Well, I think Wii are trying to change that. Well as a gamer type I do agree that Wii have a great ready-made interfact for any shooting/slashing game. But yeah it seems like most 3rd party people are trying to squeeze motion to the games, which is oftentimes unnecessary. Then again same goes for NDS where some firms squeeze in some touchscreen features just for the sake of it, like having to tap yes instead of pressing a button...

But to be fair though, Wii is meant to be more alternative in forms of gaming. If you want to hold the control and shoot at things for hours at a time in FPS the Wii enging and motion is not going to help much, save for a sore arm.

I still crinch thinking about MonsterHunter3 coming out... If everything is motion-sensing I should stock up on medical supplies for tennis elbow and various other forms of arm injuries. Cause I know I am just going to spend 100 of hours on the game as usual.

speaking of which:
WII SUCKS BIG TIME FOR ALTERING THEIR CD FORMAT. WHOEVER DID THAT SHOULD BE EXECUTED BY PEELING EVERY BIT OF HIS SKIN/FLASH/BONE OFF WITH AN ORANGE PEELER AND FORCE TED BACK FROM HIS LOWER END, ALONG WITH HIS FAMILIES.

WTF, I mean I got Smash Bros X on a LEGIT Wii and its ot working... and the game format is only functional to machines built Summer07 and later. Either find a way to give me a functional Wii or trust me don't let me get my hands on those devs...i
 Rev7
02-16-2008, 2:24 PM
I personally don't think that it will be worth it. I don't have a Wii, but I have certainly played them. I mean they are fun and all but I don't think that TFU will be a great game for the Wii. But apperently they are trying it , and going to see how well it does.
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-16-2008, 3:05 PM
I personally don't think that it will be worth it. I don't have a Wii, but I have certainly played them. I mean they are fun and all but I don't think that TFU will be a great game for the Wii. But apperently they are trying it , and going to see how well it does.
Well, if they manage to set the lightsaber combat well on the Wii, I have no doubt it'll be good.

My point being, Rev, is if LucasArts investment on an entire conversion for the Wii, including some unique features and the delay on the release will be justified on the sells.
 Rev7
02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
But my point being, why would they make a lightsaber combat game for the Wii, when the game is called The Force Unleashed? I am sure that they did something special to the Wii version of TFU.
 Miltiades
02-17-2008, 7:59 AM
Well, if they manage to set the lightsaber combat well on the Wii, I have no doubt it'll be good.

My point being, Rev, is if LucasArts investment on an entire conversion for the Wii, including some unique features and the delay on the release will be justified on the sells.
I think it will. The Wii has only a few good third-party games, and I think a lot of Wii owners are waiting for some decent games for the Wii. I think a lot of people, even some who never played a SW game before, will buy this for the Wii, and some people, most SW fans, will buy a Wii just to play TFU with the Wii remote, IF the game is worth it, of course.
 LordOfTheFish
02-19-2008, 1:59 PM
Im sure it will be.The wii can pretty much make anything fun!
 Juno Eclipse
08-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Dude. I bought a wii and it was good enough that I felt no need to buy any more consoles. All you wii haters just cant see a good system when its right in front of you!!!!!
 Nicomon
08-14-2008, 4:14 PM
I'm really starting to hate Wii, i really do.

The system is starting to change it's course towards Casual gamers, the Core gamers are left wondering if the situation is ever gonna get better.

Reggie promised something awesome for core gamers in the E3, however, it never happened, instead what we got was a wiimote accessory, which won't even be out until the next year, then some dumbass music game that makes you look like an idiot.

The direct quote of what Reggie said to Geoff Keighley of Gametrailers:

“There’s gonna be a big game for the holiday that the gamers will want. All I can tell you is what we announce during E3 is gonna be fantastic. The gamer is gonna be excited and the expanded audience is gonna be excited.”

and

“We’re going to have great new content maximizing all of our key franchises.”

Zelda? Star Fox? F-Zero?

Well guess what, it was COMPLETELY ABSENT FROM THE SHOW.

Everything they showed was the bull**** i mentioned above, or some other stuff that's not even worth mentioning.

And the answer to the thread, in my opinion is:

Yeah, TFU for the Wii will most certainly be it's worth in money, however i can't say the same for the console.
 Juno Eclipse
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm really starting to hate Wii, i really do.

The system is starting to change it's course towards Casual gamers, the Core gamers are left wondering if the situation is ever gonna get better.

Reggie promised something awesome for core gamers in the E3, however, it never happened, instead what we got was a wiimote accessory, which won't even be out until the next year, then some dumbass music game that makes you look like an idiot.

The direct quote of what Reggie said to Geoff Keighley of Gametrailers:

“There’s gonna be a big game for the holiday that the gamers will want. All I can tell you is what we announce during E3 is gonna be fantastic. The gamer is gonna be excited and the expanded audience is gonna be excited.”

and

Zelda? Star Fox? F-Zero?

Well guess what, it was COMPLETELY ABSENT FROM THE SHOW.

Everything they showed was the bull**** i mentioned above, or some other stuff that's not even worth mentioning.

And the answer to the thread, in my opinion is:

Yeah, TFU for the Wii will most certainly be it's worth in money, however i can't say the same for the console.

My only problem with the Wii is that they are releasing more and more games that just use buttons like Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This kinda takes away what the Wii is famous for which is motion sensing controls.
 Boba Rhett
08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
That's the HUGE problem I have with the Wii. I'm hoping the motion control add ons will make the console actually able to do what it's been touted to do.
 Da_man
08-15-2008, 1:10 AM

Zelda? Star Fox? F-Zero?

I really wish they'd go back to the style of Orcarina of Time or Twilight Princess, rather than this ell shading crap Nintendo is force feeding us.

@Rhett: I sure hope that MotionPlus thing actually works, but what exactly does it do?
 Jacob Nion
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
I think that the Forece Unleashed has one thing going for it on the Wii that the other consoles don't. The Wii will have multiplayer so you can duel with a friend. The PS3 and 360 will not have that. So it as an advanyage right there.
 Prime
08-15-2008, 11:04 AM
The system is starting to change it's course towards Casual gamers, the Core gamers are left wondering if the situation is ever gonna get better.Hehe, welcome to what PC gamers have been feeling after all the console ports!
 Juno Eclipse
08-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I think that the Forece Unleashed has one thing going for it on the Wii that the other consoles don't. The Wii will have multiplayer so you can duel with a friend. The PS3 and 360 will not have that. So it as an advanyage right there.

Yeah, I can't wait to beat every one of friends asses when I get the game!!:D

:lsduel:
 LordOfTheFish
08-15-2008, 2:41 PM
My only problem with the Wii is that they are releasing more and more games that just use buttons like Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This kinda takes away what the Wii is famous for which is motion sensing controls.

But can you not also agree that some games are more fun with out the motion controll's? TFU looks like it would be more fun with the motion controll's.
 Nicomon
08-15-2008, 7:42 PM
I sure hope that MotionPlus thing actually works, but what exactly does it do?

The Wii MotionPlus is an expansion device that allows the Wii Remote to more accurately capture complex motion. According to Nintendo, the sensor in the device supplements the accelerometer and Sensor Bar capabilities of the Wii Remote to enable actions to be rendered identically on the screen in real time.

So basically it has a dual-axis, which can determine rotational movement.
 Aku
08-15-2008, 8:13 PM
The Wiimotionplus has a gyro-sensor. Makes you wonder why they didn't just give the original wiimote one.

It won't be used for any games that currently are in development though, because Nintendo thought keeping everyone in the dark was a good idea.
Lucasarts is apparently pissed because they could've used it for the clone wars game if Nintendo hadn't been such Apple wannabes.
 Nicomon
08-15-2008, 8:21 PM
Honestly, they should just release some good Wiimote games first before making accessories for it.
 Da_man
08-15-2008, 9:59 PM
So basically it has a dual-axis, which can determine rotational movement.

How does it do that, if it's attached to the bottom of the Wiimote? Or did I miss something and it straps to your arm?
 Aku
08-16-2008, 5:14 AM
How does it do that, if it's attached to the bottom of the Wiimote? Or did I miss something and it straps to your arm?

Like I said, it has a gyro sensor.
The two-axis thing for determining how it is rotated? They had that in the original Wiimote. Two accelerometer and some maths is used to determine how it is rotated sideways. (An accelerometer picks up gravity, so they can just calculate the difference in how strong the two sensors feel gravity and figure out how many degrees it is rotated through that)

But now that they have a gyro sensor, they don't have to pull any tricks like that. They'll just know exactly what direction it is pointed in at all times.
They still oughta use the accelerometers for movement though.
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-16-2008, 9:26 AM
Dude. I bought a wii and it was good enough that I felt no need to buy any more consoles. All you wii haters just cant see a good system when its right in front of you!!!!!

I feel you just read the last sentence of my first post, because you completely missed my point.
 Da_man
08-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Like I said, it has a gyro sensor.
The two-axis thing for determining how it is rotated? They had that in the original Wiimote. Two accelerometer and some maths is used to determine how it is rotated sideways. (An accelerometer picks up gravity, so they can just calculate the difference in how strong the two sensors feel gravity and figure out how many degrees it is rotated through that)

But now that they have a gyro sensor, they don't have to pull any tricks like that. They'll just know exactly what direction it is pointed in at all times.
They still oughta use the accelerometers for movement though.

No idea how that would work, but whatever. If it works, I'd buy it.
 Juno Eclipse
08-19-2008, 9:20 PM
I feel you just read the last sentence of my first post, because you completely missed my point.

I reads the whole thing. Just comented on the last couple of words, thats all:lol:
 Ryazan
08-20-2008, 4:17 PM
No idea how that would work, but whatever. If it works, I'd buy it.

Gyro sensors directly detect angular momentum, as in turning motions. This would make for more accurate detection of turning motions than calculating the difference between the tilt sensor readings.
 LordOfTheFish
08-20-2008, 4:40 PM
ah, music to my ears...
Page: 1 of 1