Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Duke Nukem Forever this year?

Page: 2 of 3
 Sabretooth
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I love Gearbox's sense of humour :D
 Boba Rhett
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
This is actually awesome. :golfclap:
 Q
03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
 igyman
03-24-2011, 2:34 PM
Oh. Crap.

Ah well, at least they broke it to us in an amusing way. :D
 urluckyday
03-24-2011, 4:06 PM
Hmm...delayed...I think I said that would happen...
 Lynk Former
03-24-2011, 4:57 PM
You guys seem to be forgetting that a lot of video games get delayed for short periods of time.

And don't think of this as a 12 year old game. Remember, Gearbox had to basically start from scratch on it when they got the rights to work on a DUke Nukem game... whatever Duke Nukem Forever existed before Gearbox is DEAD. The Duke Nukem Forever that this game is started with Gearbox.
 Totenkopf
03-24-2011, 5:21 PM
That was kind of amusing. If Gearbox gets it out in June, rather than May.....big deal. We've waited 12 years to this point, what's another month.
 mimartin
03-24-2011, 5:28 PM
It's been delayed. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/24/duke-nukem-forever-release-date/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6_1Pw1xm9U)

Last time I posted this some evil mod deleted it. Maybe J7 will not see it this time
 igyman
04-01-2011, 2:31 PM
 Rabish Bini
04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Can. Not. Wait

Do away with all this crappy, 'realistic', regenerating health garbage. Take us back to the glory days of gaming, where games were made to be ridiculous and fun, where games like Zombies Ate My Neighbours and Doom ruled!

This game cannot fail to disappoint me

(And all the trailers I've seen for it just get me more excited)
 urluckyday
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
!This game cannot fail to disappoint me

Except when it never comes out :p
 Lynk Former
04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Except when it never comes out :p
Then it would never have had a chance to disappoint anyone.
 urluckyday
04-25-2011, 2:45 PM
Then it would never have had a chance to disappoint anyone.

Interesting question, actually. Would you rather have it not come out at all and just be left hanging, or have it come out and be terrible...but at least you have it?
 Lynk Former
04-25-2011, 3:24 PM
I don't think DNF will be terrible judging from everything I've seen of it... I mean, the little I have seen of it has been hilariously good. The game makes me laugh and the gameplay looks solid.

And that is basically what the game is about. It's not some epic space marine orgy or a way to live the fantasy of being a soldier in modern times and killing the peoples of a foreign country for the lulz. It's Duke Nukem, a culmination of all the bad action movies released over the years with all those protagonists who were *******s yet we cheered for them anyway.
 Liverandbacon
04-25-2011, 3:27 PM
I don't see why people say 'It won't live up to expectations'. Is there really anyone who has insanely high expectations for it? I just expect it to be stupid, loud, pretty, and fun, not some messianic figure for gaming. And I doubt many people have expectations much higher than mine.

Unless they think that length of development doesn't have a point of diminishing returns (which it definitely does), and that a game with 14 years of dev time means a game must be 3.5x better than one developed in 4 years. The only people who have any reason to be upset over how long it's taken are those who preordered and didn't get refunds, and 3dRealms investors.

If the game comes out and is fun and stupid, but not the pinnacle of gaming achievement, the only people disappointed will be those who expected it to be something Duke Nukem never was meant to be. If it sucks, then people can be reasonably disappointed.
 Rabish Bini
05-03-2011, 2:51 AM
And that is basically what the game is about. It's not some epic space marine orgy or a way to live the fantasy of being a soldier in modern times and killing the peoples of a foreign country for the lulz. It's Duke Nukem, a culmination of all the bad action movies released over the years with all those protagonists who were *******s yet we cheered for them anyway.

My sentiments exactly. Harkens back to the days of when games were made for fun, and action heroes blew up stuff
 GeneralPloKoon
05-03-2011, 4:45 PM
I love Gearbox's sense of humour :D

Indeed! :D
 ChAiNz.2da
05-24-2011, 1:14 PM
 Lynk Former
05-24-2011, 1:25 PM
Demo comes out on June 3rd for folks like me who got Borderlands: Game of the Year :p
 Prime
05-24-2011, 2:47 PM
If it in any way lives up to the originals I'll be very pleased. As others have stated, realism is not a requirement for fun.
 JediAthos
06-01-2011, 8:37 AM
How cool is this of Gamestop...even though I don't know how many people will come forward with a 9 year old receipt. Liverandbacon I think posted a pic of such a receipt in this thread...tell that guy his receipt is still good!

Retailer GameStop tells old Duke Nukem Forever pre-order holdouts: "Your money is still good here!" Anyone who's been holding the pre-order torch for Duke Nukem Forever back in the day is in luck – your pre-orders are still valid after all these years.

Of course, we hope you saved your receipt, as GameStop clerks aren't just going to take your word on it.

In a statement posted by IGN, the company said: "With a long-anticipated release like Duke Nukem Forever, we encourage customers who pre-ordered more than a year ago to verify their reservation with their local store prior to launch. Provided the customer has a receipt, we will honor even those pre-orders taken long ago." Old school pre-orders will even get Duke's Big Package, the pre-order bonus that features Big Head mode, in-game t-shirts, and other extras.

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/31/duke-nukem-pre-orders-still-valid.aspx)
 Rabish Bini
06-11-2011, 3:16 AM
Apparently it's rubbish. Anyone got it?
 Lynk Former
06-11-2011, 6:41 AM
I've got it and it's awesome. Best fun I've had on an FPS in a long time if you don't count Borderlands which is also by Gearbox Software. What other game sends you on a fetch quest around a tittybar to find popcorn, a condom and a vibrator?

If the folks who reviewed this game actually sat there, not laughed once and not enjoyed the great moments in the game, then wow... they must be hardcore militant feminists with no sense of humour or something.

This game is turning out exactly how I thought it'd turn out. Technologically it's outdated, however it still has all of that Duke charm (even with regenerative health and a 2 gun limit) and will make you laugh your asses off... unless you're militant feminist, a call of duty style fps fan or just a really jaded gamer who plays games but says they don't like any of them.
 DarthParametric
06-11-2011, 7:29 AM
From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the reviewers that have criticised it are towing the politically correct line, either because they actually believe in that BS or to maintain the "integrity" of their site/magazine.
 Lynk Former
06-11-2011, 7:31 AM
From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the reviewers that have criticised it are towing the politically correct line, either because they actually believe in that BS or to maintain the "integrity" of their site/magazine.
That really is a shame :(

The day we take video games too seriously is the day it'll cease to be any fun. I mean, sure, not all games have to be downright silly like Duke tends to be, but there has to be that mix there.

Duke being the way he is, an unapologetic hedonist is what's needed among the serious business video game characters of today.
 DarthParametric
06-11-2011, 7:40 AM
It's simultaneously hilarious and sad when you see it getting slammed with 4s and 5s out of 10 when dross like DA2 pulls 8s and 9s.
 mimartin
06-11-2011, 8:46 AM
When reading reviews it is important to understand one gamer's 4 is another gamer's 10. While you see DA2 8s as high, I find it a little low. :xp:
 igyman
06-11-2011, 8:09 PM
Then you sir have very low RPG video game standards. :p

But since we're talking about shooters in this thread - while I don't like and don't understand the two weapon restriction, or lack of the manual save game option in a shooter like Duke, I am finding DNF very enjoyable. I've seen a couple of reviews, but since neither of them was for the PC version, I could care less about their low marks.
 Totenkopf
06-13-2011, 1:20 AM
Hmm.....only 2 guns and limited saves, huh. Sign me up anyway. :p Seriously, I pay little attention to reviewers of video.....games or film. All I expect from Duke is mayhem, dubious 1-liners and a high body count.....oh, yeah, and some sleaze. Sounds like they've succeeded.
 Darth Avlectus
06-13-2011, 2:01 AM
Hey, I'm happy. It's another Duke Nukem for my jackass fix. Hadn't paid too much attention for all those years they were talking about this. After 4 or 5 years into it and no discernible headway I just said "whatev".

"Time to kill" was cool enough for me. I'm looking forward to that bad-influence-anti-hero souped up version of Col Guile going around wreaking havoc.
 JediAthos
06-13-2011, 8:19 AM
I'll be picking it up in the next week or two myself. I'm excited, I have fond memories of Duke and am looking forward to reliving them. :)

As far as reviews I don't my much attention to them unless its a game I'm on the fence about buying. Something like this that I definitely want to play I will buy no matter what the reviewers say.
 Lynk Former
06-13-2011, 9:54 AM
One review you should pay attention to is this one: http://www.twilightlynk.com/2011/06/13/game-spotlight-duke-nukem-forever/) :p

I gave my honest opinion of the game, it's flawed but it's fun if you're willing to let it be fun and aren't all hung up on political correctness and such. Also, I've been as sick as a dog for the past few days so this probably isn't as well written as it should be XD ...kind of hard to achieve when you're virtually coughing up a lung.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also... NSFW pic at the bottom of the entry and some harsh language... forgot to mention that, but if you're wanting to play this game then I'm sure ya'll fine with that lol.
 DarthParametric
06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
For those that find DNF lacking, there is always DN3D: Reloaded to look forward to - a recreation in the Unreal 3 engine officially sanctioned by Gearbox.
 Lynk Former
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
...or Duke Nukem 3D for XBLA... or the version you can get from GoG that requires DOSBox.
 igyman
06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
For those that find DNF lacking, there is always DN3D: Reloaded to look forward to - a recreation in the Unreal 3 engine officially sanctioned by Gearbox.

Sounds cool. I look forward to hearing more about it.
 DarthParametric
06-13-2011, 2:11 PM
http://www.dukenukemreloaded.com)

They are planning on an incremental release approach from what I understand (not too dissimilar to BGR). Last I heard they will be releasing some multiplayer maps soon.
 urluckyday
06-16-2011, 10:47 PM
So...um...yeah...maybe they were better off NOT releasing this one from what I hear...
 Lynk Former
06-16-2011, 10:58 PM
So...um...yeah...maybe they were better off NOT releasing this one from what I hear...
From what I've played, I'm glad they did take the effort to release it.

Also: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/duke-nukem-catches-a-plane-as-only-duke-nukem-can/) lol, awesome.
 ChAiNz.2da
06-17-2011, 9:27 AM
bleh, screw the "political correct" reviews.. I'm just looking for some classic Nukem fun. If you want reviews, read Lynk's.. it's about the fairest one I've seen around and will let you know what you're in store for.

I mean c'mon.. it's Duke Nukem.. not sure what every one else was expecting ;)

Anywho, been putting off getting the game till this weekend.. looking forward to getting of work this afternoon for a weekend of kicking ass and one-liners :D
 DarthParametric
06-17-2011, 9:50 AM
I'm not sure if it's as much about what people were expecting as what they can be seen to be publicly endorsing.
 ChAiNz.2da
06-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure if it's as much about what people were expecting as what they can be seen to be publicly endorsing.
True enough... but the video game industry (that's geared towards adults as Nukem's rating suggests) seems to be the least likeliest of places to be a prude :xp:
 Lynk Former
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
@ chainz: :D Thanks.

...*looks around* You should read more entries on my site ;)
 ChAiNz.2da
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
...*looks around* You should read more entries on my site ;)
I try.. though could've sworn I was registered on your site already.. hmmm makes me wonder who's site I DID register on a while back :raise: :xp:

Dear ChAiNz.2da,

Thanks for registering at Twilight Lynk! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
Twilight Lynk
awww.. you DO care! :xp:
 DarthParametric
06-17-2011, 1:39 PM
True enough... but the video game industry (that's geared towards adults as Nukem's rating suggests) seems to be the least likeliest of places to be a prude :xp:Seems to be the American (and apparently - and unfortunately - now also the Australian) way. It's a rare month that goes by without some idiot complaining about some aspect of a game that will irrevocably corrupt the world's youth. Even for games that have an adult rating.
 Totenkopf
06-17-2011, 1:52 PM
Seems to be the American (and apparently - and unfortunately - now also the Australian) way. It's a rare month that goes by without some idiot complaining about some aspect of a game that will irrevocably corrupt the world's youth. Even for games that have an adult rating.

And yet a lot of that complaining ends up being counterproductive in the end also. We live in the age of the perenially pissed soundbyte where anyone can grab a megaphone and rip someone else a new one. Usually, though, you just end up piquing other peoples' interest and providing what amounts to free advertising.

Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
True enough... but the video game industry (that's geared towards adults as Nukem's rating suggests) seems to be the least likeliest of places to be a prude :xp:

I agree, but whould add the whole of entertainment in general.
 ChAiNz.2da
06-17-2011, 1:56 PM
Seems to be the American (and apparently - and unfortunately - now also the Australian) way. It's a rare month that goes by without some idiot complaining about some aspect of a game that will irrevocably corrupt the world's youth. Even for games that have an adult rating.

I agree, but whould add the whole of entertainment in general.

Painfully true :(
 DarthParametric
06-18-2011, 11:58 AM
 Lynk Former
06-18-2011, 1:10 PM
Yeah, I heard about that lol... didn't pressure from Take 2 force him to quit his job shortly after that?
 DarthParametric
06-18-2011, 1:56 PM
It was the guy that owned the PR agency 2K was using. They dumped them after the comment, as noted in the update at the start of the article.
 Sabretooth
06-18-2011, 2:24 PM
The worse rep this game gets, the more it's likely going to sell. It's probably going to be the Disaster/Date/Scary Movie franchise of video games.
Page: 2 of 3