Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Are they good games?

Page: 1 of 1
 DeadYorick
01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
I was thinking of looking into buying some ancient SW games. So do you think they were great? Because it seems that classic games are dead around here
 JoeDoe 2.0
01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
They were good when they first came out, but they are still good fun (not that Iplay them anymore)
 TripHammer
01-18-2008, 3:16 PM
I still enjoy them... I only have the games for Super Nintendo and PlayStation, but I still enjoy playing them. I still play that old Star Wars Arcade game on the Mame Arcade Emulator too... You're able to adjust graphics and game controls for a gamepad or flight stick.
 Jamps
01-25-2008, 9:49 PM
I love the classic Star Wars games. Buy TPM, its the best.
 DeadYorick
01-30-2008, 12:31 AM
What is everyone's opinion on the best anyway?
 TripHammer
01-30-2008, 2:52 PM
I'd put my vote in for "Episode 1: Racer" for PC.. Pod Racing at it's finest. The graphics are kicking for an old game... Rogue Squadron 3D for PC has some pretty good missions and isn't bad for graphics if you make your graphics card do all the work instead of keeping the graphics "application controlled".

I still have my Atari 2600 with "The Empire Strikes Back" cartridge.. Those walkers were so blocky! and the snow speeder looks like something you make with lego. Good gameplay though.

"The Best" is kinda misleading... it all depends on what you're in the mood for, and what kinda gameplay you like.
 DeadYorick
01-30-2008, 9:37 PM
"The Best" is kinda misleading... it all depends on what you're in the mood for, and what kinda gameplay you like.

well say your in a fast paced gameplay mood. What ancient SW game would be the best to play?
 LordOfTheFish
02-19-2008, 1:55 PM
Heres a list of my top 4.

1:Shadows of the Empire 4/5
2:Jedi Power Battles(1 and 2)4/5
3:Episode 1:Racer 3/4
4:Battle For Naboo 3/4
 swaaye
02-26-2008, 9:47 PM
those are "classic"? Those are like the 3rd generation of Star Wars games. :) I did like SotE though, even if it is really rather flawed.

The classics really started up with SNES and (especially) the PC games of the early '90s, IMO. Graphics became very recognizable and the storyline quality exceeds that of later Star Wars games in many cases. I'd call that the "2nd generation". They were a massive step up from say the Atari era.

To be frank, I believe that the early-mid '90s were the peak of creativity for the industry. Game development costs were like a small fraction of what they are today. The reduced development costs allowed them to take risks, much more than today. Technology was good enough to allow fluid 3D rendering, even if it was rather basic. Those years saw the creation of the genres everyone plays today.

Heck, the prequel era was when LucasArts went down the tubes and lost most of the talent that made their name.
 TripHammer
03-04-2008, 9:11 AM
Heck, the prequel era was when LucasArts went down the tubes and lost most of the talent that made their name.

True that.
Page: 1 of 1