Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Baluder's Gate: Dark Alliance

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
12-14-2007, 2:04 AM
Hi. I got a new RPG known as Baluder's Gate: Dark Alliance. I am going to play it sooner or later, but I need to know some stuff (no spoilers please).

The things I need to know:

1) Who is Baluder?
2) What is this Gate that Baluder owns?
3) Why does he own that gate?
4) What's so important about this Gate?
5) What is this evil Dark Alliance and what does it want to do with the Gate of Baluder?
6) Should we open said Gate? Or should we close this Gate?

EDIT: Oh. Oh. I just found out Baluder's Gate is the name of a City, founded by the hero "Baluder". Er. Why couldn't he call it Baluder's City then?
 Arбtoeldar
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Just FYI. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (series) is a bastardize versions of the Baldur's Gate Trilogy (Baldur's Gate, BG: Tales of the Sword Coast, BGII:Shadow of Amn/Throne of Bhaal). It's part of the reason why Interplay is no longer in the gaming business. The games have been out for ~6 years. Harve Cean should hang his head in shame for making these games.
 Corinthian
12-14-2007, 1:56 PM
Amen. The REAL Baldur's Gate was a true RPG. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is a cheap knockoff that makes my teeth hurt.

Also, how are we supposed to explain the Dark Alliance without spoiling anything?
 SilentScope001
12-14-2007, 3:21 PM
Also, how are we supposed to explain the Dark Alliance without spoiling anything?

Don't.

Arбtoeldar: Cheap knockoff? Well, hm, maybe it might be better to just return BG: DA anyway.
 Pavlos
12-14-2007, 5:36 PM
Don't.

Arбtoeldar: Cheap knockoff? Well, hm, maybe it might be better to just return BG: DA anyway.

I would :).

But I'm not sure how well Baldur's Gate has aged. I played it recently and I feel that half of my enjoyment came from nostalgia. I probably wouldn't class it as a classic these days, it seems to suffer from a lot of the problems Neverwinter Nights suffers from. Baldur's Gate II (true, it's not as old) has withstood the test of time a little - OK, a lot - better, I feel. The second game I would recommend to anyone and I imagine that I'll continue to recommend it well into the future; it's that damned good.

Those were the days, when you could get a hundred hours of gameplay from quests and not simply moving from A to B... ahhh.
 Q
12-14-2007, 8:28 PM
I second Pavlos' recommendation of BGII. You won't need to have played BGI to enjoy BGII and it's available, along with its expansion, Throne of Bhaal, for about $10.00 from Amazon.
 Aash Li
12-15-2007, 3:43 PM
BG 1 and 2 were fun, even if the game was several dated, as any mirrored-spirte game is now days. When I played it I had it so heavily modded I wasnt even playing the same game that came in the box. xD

Oh and the heresy that is that BG knockoff, its only selling point was that you got to play a dark elf heroine... thats it, just a dark elf girl... not that its not a good selling point, but... its still just as bad as if some Chinese company hacked BG2 and came up with dark alliance. lol
 Lance Monance
12-15-2007, 5:56 PM
How dare you spell Baldurs Gate wrong? :D
BG: DA just sucks. Vaporize it asap and get BG2 instead.

FYI, Baldur's Gate is city, the guy who founded it was named Baldur and that is of no relevance to the plot of both BG1 and BG2...
 Arбtoeldar
12-15-2007, 6:27 PM
Don't.

Yes it would.

If you do play Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansion packs please play BG1 first. BG2 is highly spoilerific for BG1. One of the things that irritated me in BG2 was the fast travel outside the city. But that is just part of the roleplaying to me.

There are quite a few mods out for both games. Just like Kotor, you should play the games vanilla style with the official patches at least once. if you have any more questions feel free to ask. It's a tossup between a good RPG and a good Tactical Shooter so far as my favorite game genre.
 Aeroldoth
12-15-2007, 6:54 PM
Pavlos, let me add that there is a mod that let's you play BG1 as if it were BG2. You get the BG2 UI, graphics, and class choices (such as sorcerer or prestige class). When playing the series straight through, it makes it much nicer and more seamless to start as the class you want, rather than changing between games.

Wiki City of Baldur's Gate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_%28city%29)
 SilentScope001
12-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh wait, you don't understand.

When I say I am going to return, I'm not stating I'm actually GOING to buy BG I and BG II. I'd rather get free RPGs for my computer, and since my computer is lame anyway, I can't play anything anyway. That's why I got a console.

So, I was thinking of returning this console RPG and get something else for the Xbox.

So, uh, what you think? Should I return BG: DA, or should I still keep it anyway?
 stoffe
12-16-2007, 7:07 AM
There are quite a few mods out for both games. Just like Kotor, you should play the games vanilla style with the official patches at least once. if you have any more questions feel free to ask. It's a tossup between a good RPG and a good Tactical Shooter so far as my favorite game genre.

In the case of BG2 I'd recommend using the Baldurdash fix pack right from the start, otherwise chances are you'll have to Play-by-Debug-Console to get all the side quests and sub-plots to work properly.

I'd rather get free RPGs for my computer, and since my computer is lame anyway, I can't play anything anyway. That's why I got a console.

Baldur's Gate II is an 8 years old game, so unless your computer is very old you should be able to play it without problems. It requires a Pentium II 233 MHz, 64 MB RAM and Windows 95 or better to play. :)
Page: 1 of 1