Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Al Gore wins Nobel peace prize

Page: 1 of 1
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I suppose that by now everyone knows that that Al Gore has won the Nobel Peace Prize, along with the IPCC.

Opinions? Personally I'm happy, even though I feel the IPCC should not receive an award supposed to be given only to individuals. I also don't know if he should receive a peace prize for environmentalist work.
 Totenkopf
10-13-2007, 1:35 PM
Frankly, it all seems political to me and just another black mark against the value of the prize itself. Also, I agree with you, DE, that perhaps they should create another category.

How to talk to climate sceptics-----just shut up and listen :xp:
 Rev7
10-13-2007, 5:16 PM
They really should make another category. Al Gore won eh.....
 SilentScope001
10-13-2007, 6:22 PM
"Peace".

Uh...
 Jae Onasi
10-13-2007, 9:15 PM
According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".
Well, if you count working on decreasing global warming as encouraging fraternity between nations, then it works just fine to give the award for environmentalism.

Regardless, it's a great honor for Gore and congratulations to him. :)
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-14-2007, 12:12 AM
The rationale is that the damage and shortages caused by global warming will cause hostility between nations, and fighting global warming will prevent these conflicts from occuring. Not entirely irrational, that.
 MdKnightR
10-14-2007, 1:21 AM
I guess it doesn't matter if what you say is true (Love Canal, Internet, many of the "facts" in his book and movie) ....
As long as it pushes the liberal agenda of big government controlling your life, scares people, and puts the blame solidly on America.

Remember that Yassir Arafat, a terrorist leader, won the nobel peace prize.

It doesn't mean jack to me.
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess it doesn't matter if what you say is true (Love Canal, Internet, many of the "facts" in his book and movie) ....
As long as it pushes the liberal agenda of big government controlling your life, scares people, and puts the blame solidly on America.I think someone is very, very bitter:D.

Remember that Yassir Arafat, a terrorist leader, won the nobel peace prize.While he was working on the Oslo Accords to secure peace. As in 'peace prize'.
 John Galt
10-14-2007, 1:26 PM
I think it's a bit of a stretch, but I suppose somebody had to win it...
 Point Man
10-26-2007, 5:21 PM
The reason Al Gore won a prize for which his work does not even qualify is that the voters wanted to thumb their noses at George Bush. Whether you like Bush or Gore, at least admit the truth of the reason.
 Totenkopf
10-26-2007, 5:39 PM
I think someone is very, very bitter:D.

While he was working on the Oslo Accords to secure peace. As in 'peace prize'.

Yeah, giving Arafat an award for Oslo is like giving a guy massive props for his mac skills b/c he tongues his sister. :xp: Basically cheapening the value of the award.
 mimartin
10-26-2007, 5:49 PM
The reason Al Gore won a prize for which his work does not even qualify is that the voters wanted to thumb their noses at George Bush. Whether you like Bush or Gore, at least admit the truth of the reason.
If that is the reason Al Gore received the award, I feel the voters could have thumbed their nose better and made a bigger mockery of the award by giving the Noble Peace Prize to George Bush.
 Corinthian
10-26-2007, 5:58 PM
Except the Peace Prize is an honor, not a mockery.

Anyway, I don't really care, the peace prize is mostly meaningless to me, but what the hell has Gore done to deserve to win the Peace Prize? Nothing! He should get the Nobel Environmentalism Prize or something. Except they don't have one of those.
 Totenkopf
10-26-2007, 6:18 PM
Naw, maybe the Nobel Propoganda prize would be more suitable (and one which Al Gore could later claim was of his own making, so to speak). :xp: ;)
Page: 1 of 1