Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How do you beat Super Mario Brothers without killing anyone?!

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
09-19-2007, 1:01 PM
Once upon a time, there was a craze about Deus Ex because you don't have to kill anyone to beat the game. At the time, I didn't really care for it...why limit your arsenal?

But hey, it may be fun. But it comes to another point: I need to do it for a game that, well, I can beat already, so that I can use that information to prepare to beat the game without killing anyone.

So, here I go. Boot up Super Mario Brothers (alleged to be a very violent video game, about 25 violent acts per minute displayed on TV), and will now attempt to beat the whole game without murdering a single indivudal, roleplaying as Mario, the Kantain Plumber and Peacenix Militant.

I got through 1-1 easy, but 1-2 was hard because I was being ambushed by 2 Koopa Troopers on the left and a Goobma on the right side. However, I stayed up in a small enclave, and wait for the Koopa Troopers to walk back while the Goobma walks away before getting past. However, I lost all my lives in 1-3, so the game ended for me.

So, anyone tried this challenge before? If so, are there any tips? I'm not so certain about gaining up Health Points (Mushrooms and Fire Flowers) to ensure that if I do get attacked, I get a few seconds to run and therefore, surivie without needing to murder anyone. It does seem to defeat the point of the challenge.

I also see that the game changed from being a game where you defeat enemies to a pure Platforming game, as you leap from area to area, making sure that none of the enemies can see you and attack you. It's an interesting thing seeing the entire game changed when one rule.
 ~DarthGeek~
10-12-2007, 5:38 PM
I've tried, it takes a LOT of luck and patience. It's also impossible, whether you take the warp pipes or not, you're still going to have to kill bowser to beat the game.
Page: 1 of 1