Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

No movie or music sound/audio

Page: 1 of 1
 dogmut2000
09-14-2007, 10:54 PM
I get no sound from the movies and no music during gameplay/main menu. I hear other sound effects like footsteps, birds chirping, menu selections etc. I can play and hear the audio in both the .bik and .ogg files run outside of the game.

I've re-installed, run pre and post patch, played with the hardware acceleration slider, installed codes (I don't have any codec packs installed).

Any ideas? Does the game not use the system codecs?

Thanks,
dogmut

WinXP32 SP2, Intel Core2 Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2-667
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX, Creative Audigy 4
 martmeister
09-15-2007, 7:32 AM
Update drivers? Disable any onboard audio in BIOS? Enable game music?
 Thrik
09-15-2007, 11:04 AM
I think I recall reading that Psychonauts does come with its own decoders, which are wherever it's installed.

What you might be able to do is download (or copy) the ones that actually work for you, and then overwrite (backing up first, of course) the ones in the Psychonauts directory.

Hopefully you understand what I mean. If it helps, let me know so I can add it to a documented page at some point.
 dogmut2000
09-16-2007, 7:09 AM
I figured it out. I had Creative EAX effects enabled in the Creative EAX Console. Disabling it fixed the problem. Haven't had that problem with any other games before.

Anyway, thanks for you help.
 Thrik
09-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Excellent. :D
 Edible Pwncakes
11-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi, I'm having a similar problem. Usually I can play Psychonauts fine for an hour or so, but after a while the sound on the cutscenes just don't play. I have a Creative card and tried turning off the EAX effects, but it didn't seem to work. Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks.
 martmeister
11-25-2007, 9:14 PM
Whoa, that's some wicked teeth Thrik. We've come a long way with dental hygiene you know? Just pulling your leg (and not your teeth).

Set the volumes at diff levels (it's been awhile, but bkgrd music lower than speech and fx effects for example)?
Make sure you're using hardware based sound?
Enable subtitles...nevermind, don't think it's turned on during cutscenes
Check to see if anything's plugged into the soundcard (ie: gamepad)?
IRQ problems between different hardware components?
Update sound drivers?
Save more often?
Page: 1 of 1