Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

AMD To Launch "Barcelona" CPU on Monday, Sept. 10!

Page: 1 of 1
 Q
09-07-2007, 7:51 PM
Here it comes! (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6299) Needless to say: it's about friggen time, AMD!

Can't wait for some benchies! Here's to hoping that it's the second coming of silicon (it'll practically have to be to effectively compete with C2D;))!

Oh yeah: and here's to hoping that it is not another HD 2900XT (please, God: no!). AMD simply can't afford to launch yet another disappointing product.
 Astrotoy7
09-09-2007, 12:32 AM
lolz.... just in time for my birthday !! **that's** why AMD held out :p

Great news, not just for AMD fans but fans of competitive pricing(ie. everyone)!!

Of course, we will wait for some benchies - and prices - before rushing out :)

Q it would be wonderful if you could return to this thread in a while's time and summarise what has been discovered from said benchies and tech analyses

I like the phenom ''paper plane'' logo :) [/fanboy]

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/5926_amd_opteron_phenom_logoing.png)

Keep us posted Q !!

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-11-2007, 8:26 PM
It'll take some time for it to catch up with Intel though, but with such low frequencies they might attack the mainstream market with quads in the same price range as Intel's when quads start taking over from dual-cores...

It all looks very promising though, but also very dangerous as it makes me want to rob a bank to afford all this new technology, which would make AMD an accomplice in an armed robbery, not good.
 Q
09-11-2007, 8:50 PM
Well, it looks to be about a 15% overall improvement over K8 so far. Nothing earth-shattering.

Looks like it's another R600.

Damnit.:(
 stingerhs
09-12-2007, 1:04 AM
well, me thinks that this is just the server segment that's going to see the mediocre performance gains. the desktop segment will probably have a better launch assuming that AMD will actually release chips with a 2.4-3.0 GHz clockspeed instead of this 1.6-2.2GHz nonsense.

if they don't get on the ball, that sound you're hearing could be the death toll for AMD. :(
 Astrotoy7
09-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Q. can you give us a bit more of a detailed report of emerging benchies ?? Im a bit busy atm, and besides, your the resident expert in these matters ;)

I'd just like to clarify - are these the k10 quads ??? Are they running on an am2+ board ??? With a board/BIOS that isnt optimised for the new architecture, benchies can be a bit misleading... like the early vista based hardware benchies for almost everything :p

funnily enough, I got given a x2 6000+ today as payment for a build.... have already sold the 5000+ on. a 3.0GHz CPU and windows EUI give it a 5.4 :p

I know the EUIs dont mean much but am morbidly curious to see what I get....I have 3GB RAM and it only gives me 5.1 for that ! bollocks to that EUI !!

@stinger - I wouldnt rule out AMD, we havent gone to AM3 or DDR3...even then, what is always most impressive is their committment to low energy consumption CPUS... It really means alot to alot of peeps(I wish i could say the same for their GPUs!!) :p Of course, the fusion project keeps them on the map for a whiles yet in any event ;)

mtfbwya
 Q
09-12-2007, 6:03 PM
Here's (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3092) one that uses a Barc to predict how the Phenom will perform.

I really hope that this chip scales well, for the sake of competition and we the users.

I will also say that while not earth-shattering, it is an improvement, and it's a drop-in replacement CPU for servers. Only time will tell if AMD will be able to remain competitive, but I think that they will at least be able to stay alive until the next generation of CPUs.
 Negative Sun
09-12-2007, 6:57 PM
Here's (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3092) one that uses a Barc to predict how the Phenom will perform.
"Things are different on the desktop; AMD hasn't been competitive since the launch of Core 2 in the Summer of 2006 and we're very worried that even after Phenom's late-year launch, the market still won't be competitive. While that's great for consumers today, the concern is that a non-competive AMD will bring about a more complacent Intel, which we do not want. We want the hungry Intel that we've enjoyed for the past year, we want ridiculous performance and aggressive pricing, and we won't get that without an AMD that can fight."

Amen to that.
Almost sounds like Kreia's "The Republic has been unchallenged for far too long...", but in even more geekier speak...

AMD really is taking its sweet time to respond to Intel/nVidia threats, and so far it doesn't look good for them, so I sure hope they know what they're doing...We need:
* Higher clocks and very good benchies for the Phenom, not to mention good prices and low power consumption.
* A thorough look at the current HD2k series and hope they bring us something that can compete with nVidia's 8800GTS in terms of price/performance...
* A kick in the face of Intel/nVidia with a huge offensive press campaign surrounding the Fusion release...And deliver the goods as well!
 Astrotoy7
09-14-2007, 8:36 AM
I dunno....Ive had a good looksee now, and there is nothing supremely informative... that anandtech article is interesting, but hardly definitive.

I want to see testing on the 2.5GHz(and over), on propietary am3 board, ddr3 ..... then the benchies will be worth reading :)

Of course, we're not going to get this till late this year/early next year :)

I'll plod along with my 3.0GHz x2 6000+ in the meantime :)

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-14-2007, 4:25 PM
I'll plod along with my 3.0GHz x2 6000+ in the meantime :)
looolz!
I'd kill for one of those!
 Astrotoy7
09-15-2007, 3:21 AM
looolz!
I'd kill for one of those!

too bad you dont live here man, I could patch you together a decent rig crazy cheap. I build stuff for alot of people...mostly students, whose only way to pay me is to give the the kit theyve upgraded from ! I had 3 6600s sitting on my shelf until very recently :p Ive currently got a 3200+ 1gb of DDR for it doing nothing atm...I'll build something with it, eventually !

mtfbwya
 Negative Sun
09-15-2007, 6:58 AM
I know man, Britain is just pure ripoff...
Page: 1 of 1