Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Off-topicness

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
08-29-2007, 1:24 PM
Is there a reason why, when discussing one topic, we move onto another topic? Are we becoming too informal in discussing amongst ourselves? Is this a good thing that we are being off-topic? Is it because the actual topic is too boring?

/me shrugs about this.
 Jae Onasi
08-29-2007, 1:33 PM
Would you clarify in which thread(s) you think this has been an issue? I've split off any number of threads that clearly went off in another direction, nudged some back on topic, and closed a few that were totally out of control. Some of it's just the nature of humans discussing things--you might start focusing on one aspect of a complex issue and it ends up going in a new direction.

Is this also limited to Kavar's or to the Kotor forum in general?
 SilentScope001
08-29-2007, 1:54 PM
Would you clarify in which thread(s) you think this has been an issue? I've split off any number of threads that clearly went off in another direction, nudged some back on topic, and closed a few that were totally out of control. Some of it's just the nature of humans discussing things--you might start focusing on one aspect of a complex issue and it ends up going in a new direction.

Is this also limited to Kavar's or to the Kotor forum in general?

I don't see it as a problem, the off-topicness, just saw it more and more in Kavar's Corner.

Yeah, it's limited to discussion about Kavar's Corner, other forums either have no off-topicness or the off-topicness is expected.
 Jae Onasi
08-29-2007, 2:08 PM
Well, that's answering part of my question. :) In which thread(s) is this an apparent problem?
 Qui-Gon Glenn
08-29-2007, 2:13 PM
All of them. And none. I don't think this is so much a problem as it is a natural part of discussion and debate. If you could be more specific SS001, maybe I'd agree with you here.

In general, I think to make a point in one area of discussion, you must use an analogy or argument from another topic. Or to add texture to the discussion. My 2c.
 ChAiNz.2da
08-29-2007, 2:36 PM
I like pizza :D

how's that for off-topicness? ... hehehe

-----------------

In general, I think to make a point in one area of discussion, you must use an analogy or argument from another topic. Or to add texture to the discussion. My 2c.I'd have to agree with ya' on this, and while I'd never suggest anyone to NOT do it.. this is what (one of) some other person may choose to comment on rather than reading the main point of what you intended.

I don't think this is so much a problem as it is a natural part of discussion and debate. If you could be more specific SS001, maybe I'd agree with you here.Again. I completely agree :)

Take my little pizza comment.

person A ) I like pizza
Person B ) I like 'pepperoni' pizza
Person C ) ewww... pepperoni has animal parts, yuck! I'm vegetarian!
Person D ) So?!? I dont see you complaining about that leather belt you're wearing! Vegetarians are hypocritical
Person C ) nuh-uh
Person D) uh-huh
Person C ) NUH-UH!!!
Person D ) UH-HUH!! x infinty! neener!
Person E ) I like pizza too !!1!1!! ASL? lolz :lol:
Mom-erator Jae ) Don't make me get out *MY* leather belt. Back on topic!

As you can see.. even the most mundane topic can go astray just by adding a little more detail to the topic. And I think the deeper we get into topics, the more points get posted and there's much more to comment on.

Those who are adding to the discussion may misinterpret the thread, may decide to be a pain in the arse, or for whatever reason.. try to intentionally lead the topic astray. Many factors can (and are) involved but I honestly think it's a healthy habit (not the disruptive part).

We are a curious lot of monkeys that can't help but want to soak up as much knowledge as we could possibly handle so any new tangent or bullet point added to a discussion is like flashing a shiny object to a kitten... we shake our butts and pounce on it :xp: hehehe...

Just my observation (and opinion of course) :)
 SilentScope001
08-29-2007, 4:36 PM
Uh, the examples I can remember are: the UFO one, the Veneuzela one, the Loose Change one. I think my main thoughts are mostly articulated by what qui_gon_glenn says.
 mimartin
08-29-2007, 5:38 PM
Take my little pizza comment...I'd never thought any 'one' person could take a pizza comment so far topic so quickly, but ChAiNz.2da proved me wrong, I guess that why you moderators get paid the big bucks. ;)

Many factors can (and are) involved but I honestly think it's a healthy habit (not the disruptive part). I agree, a lot of time the discussion morphs into something just as fascinating as the original topic.

My problem is when something like ChAiNz.2da pizza example turns into a discussion about shoe size as that goes beyond similar topics. That said I feel the moderators and the members here do a very good job of preventing things like that from happening.

SilentScope001 when you or anyone else feels that I am pulling a tread off topic just tell me or PM me as that is never my intention.
 Totenkopf
08-29-2007, 8:37 PM
I agree that it's probably just human nature to stray away from a stated topic, all the more so when there are a potentially large number of participants in a discussion. Espeicially if the topic is a heated one or people start focusing on some of the tangents that pop up, which as Mimartin stated (and ChAiNz comically demonstrated) all too easily sidetrack people. No real harm done if someone's "managing" the topic, I suppose.
 Arcesious
08-29-2007, 9:37 PM
When a Human wants to avoid a specific subject but still partipate on the topic, they change the topic however they can- sometimes this is reflex and comes without intention.
 Jae Onasi
08-29-2007, 10:57 PM
SS--UFO thread was started only about 24 hours ago. It looks like it's fairly on-topic to me with maybe 1 or 2 off-topic posts. The subject is pretty broad, so I expect the posts to cover a broad range of things.
Loose change thread--I posted last night advising people to get back on topic.
Chavez thread--stayed mostly on topic with the exception of you and DI going off on a history jaunt. ;)

Since this is a discussion forum, and the topics here are fairly broad, I expect a wide range of posts. There's a fair amount of latitude on what's considered 'on-topic' as long as it's related to the original post. In addition, the staff isn't on the forums 24/7, waiting for each and every post to come through. Sometimes the threads move in weird directions when we're not online, and we have to deal with it well after the fact. If a thread has moved off topic, by all means please hit the 'report post' yellow dot under that person's avatar and make out a report for us. It helps us get to any problems a lot more quickly.

While we're discussing serious topics here, we still want to have fun. I don't think most of us want to go to an ultra-strict no-tolerance-for-tangential-posts format.

any new tangent or bullet point added to a discussion is like flashing a shiny object to a kitten... we shake our butts and pounce on it :xp: hehehe... *Jae sees an image of a little kitty pouncing on a philosophy book, wild look in the eyes, little kitten claws splayed out, and tail a big fluff-plume* :rofl:

And might I add it would not be a leather belt I'd be getting out.... :D
 Arcesious
08-30-2007, 5:43 PM
Anyone noticed how Threads on Theism vrs Athiesm and such are becomign mroe and more common? like a climatic showdown that doesn't want to end...
 SilentScope001
08-30-2007, 6:18 PM
It does happen in many debate forums, but in the end, the battle is uttely fruitless. You can't change people's beliefs, in logic, in science, in religion, in God, in this or that...unless you are REALLY, REALLY lucky, in that you find someone who is leaning on the edge. Eh.

I'd personally think that if people don't find it comfortable (like me, though it's not due to any pressing ideological pressures as to the endless back and forth questions), you'd better off not reading them and starting other topics.
 Nancy Allen``
08-30-2007, 6:43 PM
Anyone noticed how Threads on Theism vrs Athiesm and such are becomign mroe and more common? like a climatic showdown that doesn't want to end...

As it happens yeah. People want to keep at it and at it and at it where it's best to just leave it well alone. What happened to all the Bush did September 11 threads and the like?
Page: 1 of 1