Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Many Worlds: Hope for Society?

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
08-22-2007, 1:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation)

Yeah, makes sense. Quantum Physics dictate that an infinite amount of timelines may exist, where all possible historical events may happen.

So, is this hope? I mean, so what if our world is bad? There is another world just for you. All of us may in fact be rulers of the whole Earth in another World. And there may be many Worlds where the Star Wars universe is actually real. There may be one universe that may be the most perfect of all possible universes, and another universe which may be the worst of all possible universes.

Sort of makes our itty bitty universe look small doesn't it?
 Arcesious
08-22-2007, 6:17 PM
Yeah, now i realy want my trans-dimensional technology idea to be real...

I beleive you too. infinite possibilities are possible. a universe where only one tiny atom exists is one possible opposite dimensional timeline practically.

I'd love to see what it would be like if i was rich and was ruler of the world, or if my ideas for a starwars saga were real and i was in it! the infinite possibilities idea is infathomable, so many ideas keep on coming. for every idea, there could be a universe just liek it. heck, worlds from cartoons could be real in another dimension, all that girly pony doll world stuff could actually exist in another dimension. oi... so many possibile things, it's insane!

I wonder what a utopian earth where no wars ever occur and completed technological advancement would be like...
and how an opposite universe be like if starwars war real? i like this idea. food for thought.
 spark91
08-22-2007, 6:37 PM
Whenever I think about this kind of stuff my everyday life seems so insignificant. It would be cool if we can one day actually see these other universes and see all the possibilities.
It would be cool if a Star Wars galaxy actually exits that would be incredible. Too bad I don't live in the universe where I am the absoulte ruler :p
 RellioN
08-23-2007, 3:22 AM
There is only one problem... how do you go from one world to another.

Once they find that out I'm outta here
 Ray Jones
08-23-2007, 6:18 AM
Define "better" universe.

Define "worse" universe.

Define "perfect" universe.

The point is, we can't, and it would be useless nonetheless.
 JoeDoe 2.0
08-23-2007, 6:25 AM
Thats deep coming from you Ray :p

I can't believe I'm the ruler of the world in a parallel universe
 Ray Jones
08-23-2007, 6:47 AM
I think there is at least one where I am a coconut swimming in an ocean and some newt or something is floating with me to discover new islands.
 Darth InSidious
08-23-2007, 7:04 AM
It isn't better on the other side, I'll wager. Just bad in a different way.
 JoeDoe 2.0
08-23-2007, 7:24 AM
Paris Hilton is president, lol :p
 RellioN
08-23-2007, 7:28 AM
Define "better" universe.

Define "worse" universe.

Define "perfect" universe.

The point is, we can't, and it would be useless nonetheless.
Absolutely not, there would be a perfect universe for everyone's personal tastes.
 RellioN
08-23-2007, 7:29 AM
Paris Hilton is president, lol :p
Animal right groups decided to take over the world and make a monkey the ruler
 Ray Jones
08-23-2007, 8:00 AM
Absolutely not, there would be a perfect universe for everyone's personal tastes.
What's a perfect universe?

Regarding the fact that this universe, and in particular that small part we know of it came up with something like our solar system and life, it's hard to say what can be more "perfect".
 SilentScope001
08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Perfectness is determined based on opinon, yeah.

But since there are an infinte amount of univereses, there has to be at least one universe that sastifies what you think is perfect. So, I could assume that there would be a perfect universe, based on the odds that with an infinte amount of offerings, you'll find one that you'll enjoy.

I don't understand why people want to travel to the other universes? Wouldn't you want to be content with just the theory and the possiblity of there being other universes where everything is okay? :p
 PoiuyWired
08-23-2007, 3:02 PM
Perfectness is determined based on opinon, yeah.

But since there are an infinte amount of univereses, there has to be at least one universe that sastifies what you think is perfect. So, I could assume that there would be a perfect universe, based on the odds that with an infinte amount of offerings, you'll find one that you'll enjoy.

I don't understand why people want to travel to the other universes? Wouldn't you want to be content with just the theory and the possiblity of there being other universes where everything is okay? :p

Nope, since "perfect" is defined by opinion, such state of "perfection" can only be archieved if the said definition does not include any contradition in and of itself, that is, the definition of such "perfection" cannot be illogical.

So you will have problem if your definition of "perfection" is like Alice in Wonderland.

Also, assumed the variation of parallel megaverse is a form of "reality" then any "perfection" of sorts must conform to some natural laws of physics, being things of "selective application" would therefore illogical and cannot exist.

So no, your "perfect" woprld of Looney Toons cannot exist, That's All Folks!!
 SilentScope001
08-23-2007, 3:39 PM
Nope, since "perfect" is defined by opinion, such state of "perfection" can only be archieved if the said definition does not include any contradition in and of itself, that is, the definition of such "perfection" cannot be illogical.

So you will have problem if your definition of "perfection" is like Alice in Wonderland.

Also, assumed the variation of parallel megaverse is a form of "reality" then any "perfection" of sorts must conform to some natural laws of physics, being things of "selective application" would therefore illogical and cannot exist.

So no, your "perfect" woprld of Looney Toons cannot exist, That's All Folks!!

Uh.

Let me pose an example: Some people see America as perfect, and the best of all possible nations. I don't buy it, but whatever.

Now, America is NOT Looney Toons. America is, well, America. I live in America. These people see America as perfect, so I don't see why there is any problem with that. If these people can see this current world as the "best of all possible worlds", then we can also see other worlds as the "best of all possible worlds" too.

So, if we assume each universe is a seperate nation, all following the same laws of physics (because they HAVE to, quantum physics cause all these universes to exist), and each person has a view of what they believe is a perfect nation, they can find that said nation.

PERFECT="being complete of its kind and without defect or blemish." Wheter something has defects or blemishes is determined on what the onlookers believe there to be. If I believe something is complete of its kind without defect or blemish, then that world is perfect. And as we are dealing with infinite worlds, the chances of such a world existing is quite high indeed. (All possible variables for this perfect universe can be rigged in order to cause the best possible outcome for this universe, after all. Kill off all people who are evil, have those who are good live good, have everyone be happy and glad...etc.) [The laws of physics won't be tampered with, just what the people choose.]
 Jvstice
08-23-2007, 4:31 PM
Silent: Since those universes would have to arise from what is physically possible, I don't think that's a feasible way to derive a utopia.

Selecting randomly for a universe where all the evil people spontaneously died, yet the good people had no blood on their hands? not going to happen. You have to select from POSSIBLE universes. I can see no rational chain of events that would lead to such an outcome. Of course, I can see tens of millions of ways things could be worse, or at least not better than they are now, so I don't know that travel between universes would be of great benefit other that technology trading, and exchange programs with "alternate" cultures.

Like perhaps one where Shakespeare had a very different literary career might be interested in trading their complete works for ours. Or one where the full Norse mythology remained intact in original texts from before the time of Snorri Sturluson might want to trade their copys of viking myths for our Bhadvad Ghita for instance.

Or what about a universe where the earth had an anti - nuclear missile defense, but no defenses against biological warfare might be willing to trade knowledge of vaccines.

Other than things like that, I'd be more afraid of the possibilities than see it as an opportunity.
 SilentScope001
08-23-2007, 4:56 PM
Jvsitce: Hm. You know what, you're right. It's not going to happen, possibly, at least not what I am thinking of (I can see a alternate universe where I rule the world, but it is rather unlikely or impossible that I would actually run the world into the paradise, knowing me, all my alternate selves will run the world straight to the ground).

I was thinking about the possiblity of having different ideas being spread which could lead up to that perfect world, but it's much harder than the simple "heaven" I was thinking of. Besides, if we do jump into the multiverse (yeah right), it will be hard to find the "good" universes, likely we'll stumble upon random universes, some of which may be better off, and some which would be worse off. Alright, I can accept the theory of the "grass not being greener on the other side".
 Totenkopf
08-23-2007, 5:13 PM
Yeah, afterall, infinite doesn't have to include perfect, just an endless multitude of imperfect choices. But, as has been alluded, perfection (like beauty) being in the eye of the beholder, you might find a universe more to your liking if multiple universes were actually a reality.
 PoiuyWired
08-23-2007, 6:10 PM
Well, even that would be a problem. The above case only works if either 1) our idea of "so-called perfection" does not change thruout our lifetime OR 2) we keep on blopping between different parallel multiverse from time to time.

(I can see a alternate universe where I rule the world, but it is rather unlikely or impossible that I would actually run the world into the paradise, knowing me, all my alternate selves will run the world straight to the ground).

Actually, there can probably be an instance that you would rule the world and turn it towards your vision of paradise. But the problem would be your vision of paradise changing during the cause of action.

In other Words, there might be a world where you are the ruler of the world where you change everything into "a paradise as per your definition at DATE A" but by the time you finish the project, it would already be at DATE B. And your vision of "a paradise as per your definition at DATE B" is quite different.
 Totenkopf
08-23-2007, 6:33 PM
If somebody told you life would be easy....look out. They may try to sell you the Brookln Bridge next. :D
 Arcesious
08-23-2007, 7:22 PM
Man's natural ambitions of greed and wanting to rule driv him to wonder what it would be like to be ruler of the universe- typical. i would love a univrse where i'm rich- but then i'd like to rule a universe, or be an all powerful god. I wonder what being god would be like... *thinks mischeivously of all the awesome things i could do if i was the absolute ruler of every dimension and the netire universe itself.*
Page: 1 of 1