Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Differences between Amiga and PC versions of Secret of Monkey Island

Page: 1 of 1
 Dewey32
08-16-2007, 4:29 PM
Hey,

This is my first post here, and I've had a look around but haven't found an answer to my question (but if anyone can direct me to a place where my question is answered I'd appreciate it).

Anyway, does anyone know what, if any, differences there are between the PC and Amiga versions of this game? I've heard things about 16 colours etc. but never understood, so can anyone please tell me what the differences are, and how greatly they affect the game, and whether this means that one version of the game is far superior to the other.

Thanks!
 Fealiks
08-16-2007, 4:38 PM
Well, if you get the CD version on PC (which is likely) then it will be better than the Amiga version in that it uses 256 colours* (rather than the Amigas 32 colours), has enhanced sound/music and an interface identical to that of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (including a graphical inventory).

*this means that the game's pallete consists of 256 different colours/shades. this is superior to a 32 coloured game because shading becomes smoother and colours become more varied
:)
 MrManager
08-16-2007, 4:46 PM
 Dewey32
08-16-2007, 4:54 PM
Ah thank you very much for the quick response, so its only a difference in the interface and colours then. I'm hoping to be able to acquire both MI 1 and 2 but its proving very difficult and I'm starting to run out of options. Its rather frustrating that although the game is no longer sold, its still illegal download, which means for newcomers to the series like me its almost impossible to find a copy of the games, and when you do you'll have to pay far too much. If only LucasArts would re-release the games (again) or at least offer us a leagal way of downloading the game (perhaps they could host it and charge for each download, although I know this will never happen).

What's even more annoying is when you try to look for help in acquiring the games the majority replies 'check eBay or amazon' despite the fact that nowadays they're difficult to come by and are sold for ridiculous amounts. Anyway I'm going way too off topic now, thanks again for the reply!
 deleted
02-07-2008, 2:55 AM
On the back of my Secret of MI box there are the assorted platforms pictures and in for the Amiga one I believe, there is a close up picture of talking to the Dog in SCUMM bar like one would get for talking to the LOOM guy etc. I don't believe I ever got a close up of the dog when playing the PC versions. Does anyone know if there is a special way to achieve this screen, or is it Amiga only ?

Also what do they mean by 'stump' joke missing?
 Fealiks
02-07-2008, 1:23 PM
On the back of my Secret of MI box there are the assorted platforms pictures and in for the Amiga one I believe, there is a close up picture of talking to the Dog in SCUMM bar like one would get for talking to the LOOM guy etc. I don't believe I ever got a close up of the dog when playing the PC versions. Does anyone know if there is a special way to achieve this screen, or is it Amiga only ?

Also what do they mean by 'stump' joke missing?
I missed that too, must be amiga only.

the stump joke is a joke they couldn't include in the cd version, it says something like "ERROR: PLEASE INSERT FLOPPY DISK 32", mocking the amount of floppies needed to play games (this joke doesnt work with CDs).
Page: 1 of 1