Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Russia Claims North Pole...

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
08-01-2007, 4:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070801/ap_on_re_eu/russia_arctic_grab;_ylt=AtKEA5QUs5ULjcqdXi_2yHZn.3) QA

Russia is sending in an exhibition to claim the North Pole for Russia. Its scientists has found evidence that proves that the North Pole is connected to Russia, and therefore they have legal right to claim it. They hope the UN will accept the evidence when it is presented in 2009. The USA is obivoulsy displeased.

The Russians are not the only ones eyeing the Arctic seabed. Denmark hopes to prove that the Lomonosov Ridge is an extension of the Danish territory of Greenland, not Russia. Canada, meanwhile, plans to spend $7 billion to build and operate up to eight Arctic patrol ships in a bid to help protect its sovereignty.

The U.S. Congress is considering an $8.7 billion budget reauthorization bill for the U.S. Coast Guard that includes $100 million to operate and maintain the nation's three existing polar icebreakers. The bill also authorizes the Coast Guard to construct two new vessels.

A senior Russian lawmaker said Wednesday that Moscow also needs to bolster its military forces in the region.

Russia "will have to actively defend its interests in the Arctic," Andrei Kokoshin said, according to the Interfax news agency. "We need to reinforce our Northern Fleet and our border guards and build airfields so that we can ensure full control over the situation."

...Um, yeah. War in the North Pole becomes more likey...I suggest that anyone living there (I'm pointing to you Santa Clause) get out now before it gets really hot.

Oh, and the North Pole has oil, so the reason for all this mayhem and fuss becomes quite clear.
 Web Rider
08-01-2007, 8:17 PM
It's all very silly in my opinion, though not entirely unexpected. I do, and don't understand why all parties involved can't simply say: It's a huge freaking chuck of ice, lets call it neutral and get on with more important matters.

It's all because Putin is trying to play USSR. he doesn't want to go down as a lame duck in the last years of his presidency, so he's trying all he can to play KGB and reclaim the former Soviet glory. It'll all probly backfire horribly and if any of humanity remains to record the fact that the world went to hell over the north pole, it will be quite humurous.

I'm sure there's some alien drama channel that watched the Earth and all it's emo-drama unfold, and they're all laughing at how moronic we are to get our panites in a bunch over ice.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-02-2007, 2:42 AM
Several countries have already claimed Antarctica. None of their claims were recognized. This won't be any different.
 Traven_Attacker
08-03-2007, 7:48 PM
Does this meen santa is russian now? i dont think theyl get the north pole...
Page: 1 of 1