Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What technical mailing lists do you subscribe to?

Page: 1 of 1
 tk102
07-30-2007, 2:22 PM
Does anyone else subscribe to technical mailing lists?

I subscribe to
Cert Technical Cyber Security Alerts (http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/),
Perl Win32-GUI Users (https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/perl-win32-gui-users) and
PHP General Users List (http://www.php.net/mailing-lists.php)

(Are there some good hardware lists out there?)

Btw, Nabble.com is a handy archive for a multitude of lists.
 stingerhs
07-30-2007, 4:34 PM
hmm, i actually don't subscribe to any mailing lists at all. its not that i'm paranoid; its just that i don't check my email very often. :xp:

i do, however, check out a variety of websites for my daily portion of tech stuff. :)
 Astrotoy7
07-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I am one of those types that focuses in on very specific things and tries to learn about them as much as I can tolerate squeezing into my brain !

In my instance its:
*Gaming hardware (dual-quad CPU, multi GPU, SLI, quad SLI)
*HD video hardware and software, including post processing
*Small form factor pcs
*PDAs and UltraMobile PCs
*Home theather pcs...

I am a regular at one other forum only, which is for vista media center system builders... There are employees of MS and many IT professionals/coders there so it is easy to stay in the loop with what MS and different manufacturers are up to...

I float around sudhian a bit, where the focus is smallform rigs(esp. those made by shuttle)

I have been a beta tester for nvidia on Vista SLI since pre public beta 2 for the 7950GX2, but currently on hiatus as a tester until I get my 8800GTS mojo on ! Still, I get all the driver builds and get to read all the whiny posts in tester forums.

I was also involved in testing Windows Home Server Beta, and have got my name down to do some further Vista Media Center specific testing - perhaps related to the impending 'Fiji' updates...

Im also hoping I may get accepted as a beta tester for Age of Conan.. That game looks great !!

everything else, is curious reading :)

I really enjoy Qliveurs and Stingers posts here. Q has enlightened me much about CPU architecture and functionality and stinger's sad devotion to that ancient religion (also known as Linux) always makes for good reading, as I always leave an eye open for some open source info that may come in handy one day :) eg. the ubuntu media center project interests me greatly!

mtfbwya
 tk102
07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
[url=I am one of those types that focuses in on very specific things and tries to learn about them as much as I can tolerate squeezing into my brain ![/url]I know what you mean -- most of the time I take an active role searching for information too. But, like these forums, mailing lists can sometimes teach you about something you didn't know that you didn't know. And that can save you time down the road when you're faced with it.

"I've heard of this issue!" rather than "What the heck is wrong with this?"

Mailing lists are good for that IMO.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
The only one that isn't game related :xp:

Been on it since issue #1, probably the longest commitment of my life :lol:

WXPNews
http://www.wxpnews.com/)
 Astrotoy7
07-31-2007, 1:54 PM
[url=I am one of those types that focuses in on very specific things and tries to learn about them as much as I can tolerate squeezing into my brain ![/url]

"I've heard of this issue!" rather than "What the heck is wrong with this?"

Mailing lists are good for that IMO.

yeah, pro-activity is good ! I am on many mailing lists for my work and postgrad studies. I have made a conscious decision not to let that type of informal committment or chore infiltrate what is essentially my hobby.

The vista media center system builders forum Im in has a news section in its portal, so most things that are really important come through. The fact that it is a tech discussion and help forum means that you get the benefits of the "I've heard of this issue!" experience pretty much everyday... It's great learning from others and, when you know enough, passing some knowledge and assistance back :)

I wish I could post some cut n pastes of some of the rambling at the nvidia beta testers forum. Theres some funny stuff there.. There was one of a technical compatibility tester whining that he is stuck testing kids games and that <insert game name> frog animations are not being rendered properly in Vista on the 8600 GPU due to a,b,c,d ....x,y and z. Directly underneath this humongous post, an admin wrote, "that was the greatest dissection of a frog anyone has performed since 8th grade science class" ....I dunno - maybe its just me but I thought it was really funny ! :( lolz

mtfbwya
 Boba Rhett
08-02-2007, 2:53 AM
Mines boring compared to everyone else's. :(

Microchip's Forum (http://forum.microchip.com/)

Although, admittedly, most of my time on the site is spent looking through datasheets and app notes.

Ask me about Microchip's new line of USB enabled PIC microcontrollers! :joy:
 Reclaimer
08-02-2007, 3:23 AM
I look at cnet.com from time to time to get updated with the current patches and downloads for Windows.
Page: 1 of 1