Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Well there appears to be some indications that the Surge is working

Page: 3 of 3
 Nancy Allen``
07-22-2007, 9:53 AM
Oh, I was aware of that much, just wasn't sure as to what degree the aborigines tried to engage in violent resistance to Euro encroachment.

Please don't take this as gospal but I'll tell you what I know. To be fair there wouldn't be an Aboriginal militant movement like the Black Panthas, sure there would be anger and hatred at white people for it and violence stemming from it but these would be isolated 'you hate me because I'm black' incidents as opposed to any organized uprising. Think the Cronulla riots. There are Aboriginal gangs, Asian ones as well, that seek to make life hard on the Australian people and I think the Asians are probably more active in using violence against Australians. By the same token given the percentage of Aboriginies there is a massive amount of them commit crime, largely theft, assault, drunk and disorderly (which leads to the racist myth about Aboriginies not being able to handle alcohol) ect.
 GarfieldJL
07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Okay it appears the "New Republic" is in trouble for possibly printing stories about atrocities in Iraq by US troops that never happened.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290539,00.html)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/24/business/media/24mag.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/891gxtcb.asp)
 Achilles
07-25-2007, 11:35 AM
But this guy is allegedly an anonymous US troop himself. So it's not that a New Republic journalist is trashing US troops. Rather they published an article by someone without rigorously checking the source.

Is this an admission that you don't have any examples to support your earlier comment or is this a strawman that you are introducing as your support?

Also, should I assume that we're abandoning our other dialog which left off at post 72?

Glad to see you're back. Take care.
 GarfieldJL
07-25-2007, 8:11 PM
Achilles this isn't the first time they've gotten in trouble for printing false stories and making up sources... I'm more inclined to believe that the source never existed.
 Achilles
07-25-2007, 8:41 PM
That very well may be. Please explain to me what that has to do with what we were discussing?
 GarfieldJL
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Uh it shows that the media is misrepresenting to outright lieing about the progress we've made to further an agenda to get people to think the situation is a hopeless failure when it isn't.
 Dagobahn Eagle
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
From the article you provided, it seems to me it's everything but 'misrepresenting' by the media:
Franklin Foer, the editor of The New Republic, will not reveal the author’s identity but says the magazine is investigating the accuracy of his articles. In the late 1990s, under different editors, the magazine fired an associate editor, Stephen Glass, for fabrications.Evidently, lying is not something they take kindly to. Interesting how both your other sources gives the New Republic a chance to defend itself (even though the second couldn't reach them), while FOX News seems to have... forgotten to do so. Hmm, odd move from a Fair and Balanced news outlet.

The New Republic also seem to be eager to get to the bottom of this:
“Now that these questions have been raised, we’ve launched an inquiry. We’re putting the full resources of the magazine to look into the story,” Mr. Foer said. “It’s taking me a little bit longer than I wish it did. The author, not to mention some of the participants in the anecdotes he described, are active duty soldiers and they’re on 20-hour active combat missions sometimes, and it’s very difficult for me to get them all on the phone to ask them the questions that I’d like to ask.”
So in conclusion, this is far from the blatant misrepresentation of the Iraqi War you seem so eager to witch hunt in the evil liberal media. I've seen far worse.

Achilles this isn't the first time they've gotten in trouble for printing false stories and making up sources...I could say the same for another news source, but I'll bite my tongue. Let's keep this on topic.
 Achilles
07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Uh it shows that the media is misrepresenting to outright lieing about the progress we've made to further an agenda to get people to think the situation is a hopeless failure when it isn't. No sir, I believe your comment was:
the News media reporting to try to stir opposition to the troops and pull our forces out.
I posited that while the war was unpopular, the media supported the troops. You replied with:
Try any of the following CBS, NBC, MSNBC, ABC, the New York Times, BBC, etc.
I asked for a specific example from a sample of your choosing from this list.

From that, you replied with completely unrelated controversy occuring within some media outlet I've never heard of before.

Even if I weren't paying attention and accepted that the topic really had been "the media is misrepresenting to outright lieing about the progress we've made to further an agenda to get people to think the situation is a hopeless failure when it isn't", I'm not sure how well your new source supports even that argument.

If I am missing some critical component, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

PS: I'm still very much awaiting your thoughts on post 72. Please let me know if you intend not to reply to it so that I can put it to rest. Thanks in advance.
 Samuel Dravis
09-07-2007, 6:11 PM
The report from the GAO has been released. (http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/abstract.php?rptno=GAO-07-1230T)Apparently) the situation hasn't changed too much from the interim report. It's still disappointing.
 Achilles
09-07-2007, 6:40 PM
Surge + Iraqi legislative vacation = not much change.
Page: 3 of 3