Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango XP problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Kroms
07-01-2007, 6:42 AM
Hey all. Need help.

I installed Grim Fandango for the first time - yay - and there are two problems, though.

I installed it on XP, I'm still at the beginning of the game. I just met Glottis. But even though I installed the patch and everything, the game takes forever to go between rooms or something. Also, the sound just randomly gets stuck now and then, and even if you exit a room and head, say, to Glottis's garage, the bug still goes on.

Anyone can help?

Btw please, please, please no spoilers. :)
 plamdi.com
07-01-2007, 7:26 AM
Try playing the game from the HDD. Here are the official instructions from LEC:

COPYING OVER LAB FILES ONE YEAR AT A TIME
After copying your saved games, follow these directions to copy over the files for the year you are currently playing (if you are just beginning the game, you should start with the Year 1 files). To copy over the .LAB files:
• Insert Grim Fandango Disc A into your CD-ROM drive. Close the launcher if it is visible.
• Double-click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop.
• Right-click on the icon for your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
• Double-click on the GrimData folder.
• Click on the View menu at the top of the screen, and choose Details.
• Go to the View menu again and choose Arrange Icons, then by Type.
• Hold down CTRL while clicking once on each of these files: Data001.lab, Movie01.lab, Vox0001.lab, and Year1mus.lab. As you click each file, it will be selected. Make sure that you have selected only these four files.
• Go to the Edit menu, then select Copy.

Now you will need to paste these copied files into the Grim folder on your hard drive. The following directions assume that you installed to the default installation location, which is C:\ProgramFiles\LucasArts\Grim. If you installed to a different location, these steps will need to be modified according to the new location:
• Double-click on the My Computer icon.
• Double-click on the C drive icon.
• Double-click on Program Files, then LucasArts, then Grim.
• Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste. The files will be copied to your installation folder. NOTE: This step will take a few minutes.
• Close all open windows and start Grim Fandango as you normally would.

After playing and completing Year 1 of the game, you’ll need to delete the .LAB files that you copied into the Grim Fandango installation directory. To do this, return to the Grim directory on your hard drive using the directions listed above, then hold down the CTRL key while clicking once on each of these files: Data001.lab, Movie01.lab, Vox0001.lab, and Year1mus.lab. As you click each file, it will be selected. Make sure that you have selected only these four files. After selecting these files, press your DEL key and choose yes when prompted (depending upon your system configuration you may need to empty the Recycle Bin on your system prior to copying over the files for the next year).

You will need to repeat the above steps for each of the four years. We recommend you do not remove the LAB files from your hard drive until after you have advanced to a new year during gameplay and have saved your game. When copying over each year’s files from the CD to the hard drive, be sure to select the appropriate files (Data002.lab, Movie02.lab, Vox0002.lab, and Year2mus.lab for Year 2, Data003.lab, Movie03.lab, Vox0003.lab, and Year3mus.lab for Year 3, Data004.lab, Movie04.lab, Vox0004.lab, and Year4mus.lab for Year 4). The files for Years 1 & 3 are on Disc A; the files for Years 2 & 4 are on Disc B.

COPYING OVER LAB FILES FOR ALL FOUR YEARS
If you have the hard drive space for the .LAB files from all four years (around 1215 MB), then you can copy all the needed files over at once. Follow the above instructions for copying over one year at a time, but copy over the Year 1 and Year 3 files together from Disc A (Data001.lab, Data 003.lab, Movie01.lab, Movie03.lab, Vox0001.lab, Vox0003.lab, Year1mus.lab, and Year3mus.lab). Then repeat the process for the Year 2 and Year 4 files from Disc B (Data002.lab, Data 004.lab, Movie02.lab, Movie04.lab, Vox0002.lab, Vox0004.lab, Year2mus.lab, and Year4mus.lab). Then close all windows and open windows and start Grim Fandango as you normally would.

Finally, be sure to manually delete all of the .LAB files when you uninstall the game, as the Grim Fandango uninstall utility will not remove them from your system.
 Kroms
07-01-2007, 7:49 AM
You're a king/queen. THANK YOU :D Will try

EDIT

Drat. It worked well for five minutes before the sound got stuck again. It kinda glitches on two frames that keep on repeating themselves, even if the game continues.
 Thrik
07-01-2007, 10:40 AM
When copying the files over, did you get any cyclic redundancy check errors? In relatively rare cases a few files on the CD have become corrupted, which'll mean you can't copy them over and crash in the same place.
Page: 1 of 1