Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Pressing political viewpoints on kids in school...

Page: 2 of 2
 GarfieldJL
06-26-2007, 6:40 PM
To add to what Nancy said a lot of the media coverage was later proven to be using bogus material, some stuff that I could have done a better job in 15 minutes or less. Many media outlets didn't even apologize for it either.
 lukeiamyourdad
06-26-2007, 7:06 PM
So you're saying that them jumping up and down claiming that Israel deliberately targetted ambulances in the Israeli/Lebanon War of 2006 when it wasn't true isn't being anti-semitic? Seriously spreading lies about Israel trying to paint them to be monsters when they aren't is in my view anti-semitic.

TK answered it already, but I'd like to add that flinging around the word anti-semitic doesn't help anyone.

I'm sure you're well aware of the exaggerations regarding political correctness. Using the antisemitism argument against any detractors of the actions of the Israeli government or against any bad comment against a person of the Jewish faith, when it has nothing racist about it, is one such exaggerations that must be avoided. Groups like the B'nai Brith, supposed to defend Jewish interests and communities in various regions of the world, has become a group that enforces political correctness. Just a few weeks ago, a caricature involving a well known Quйbec politician portrayed as a Hassidic jew, because he went to meet the Jewish community in Montrйal instead of staying in Quйbec City and solving the budgetary problem, had the B'nai Brith sending letters of reprimands against the newspaper. Yet, there was nothing antisemitic about it.

http://veloptimum.net/velonouvelles/7/ART/6juin/P18.html)

Excuse me but I do my own research, and I found out about the group Fox News was talking about by finding their own website. I read through what was there and reached my own conclusion, I hardly believe that to be a crazy plot theory.

Sure man. Keep believing.

I'm well aware of that, but you're saying that student should then have to lie about themselves and their viewpoints just to make the grade. Sorry but in my view someone's political stance shouldn't be a factor in someone's grade, and if a conservative was a teacher and did that there would be an outcry for the conservative to be fired. So if a teacher grades on the basis of whether or not the student is liberal or conservative it is my view that teacher should be fired cause he or she has absolutely no business teaching.

Ideally, no one should have to lie, but it's inevitable. You cannot judge if someone has rated with a bias, simply because generally speaking, the difference is minimal and amounts to more simply more scrutiny by the teacher. As such, firing someone because of a bias is an extremely difficult thing to do. A teacher failing a student because of ideological differences is a rare thing.

In fact, most evaluations in college, depending on your subject, is subjective. It isn't like math, where only one answer is the good one. So there is certainly an inevitable bias. Most try to be as objective as possible, but they're still humans.

I'm not certain you've been to college or else, you would know this.
 Nancy Allen``
06-26-2007, 7:18 PM
At least it's not Shin Bet, we'd never have heard from the newspaper's editor again otherwise.
 Totenkopf
06-26-2007, 7:43 PM
They even hit a UN outpost, remember?

Wasn't aware that was a sacrosanct position. Wouldn't be enough for me to avoid the possibility of collateral damage. If it's too hot.....get the hell out of the kitchen.

Ideally, no one should have to lie, but it's inevitable. You cannot judge if someone has rated with a bias, simply because generally speaking, the difference is minimal and amounts to more simply more scrutiny by the teacher. As such, firing someone because of a bias is an extremely difficult thing to do. A teacher failing a student because of ideological differences is a rare thing.

In fact, most evaluations in college, depending on your subject, is subjective. It isn't like math, where only one answer is the good one. So there is certainly an inevitable bias. Most try to be as objective as possible, but they're still humans.

I'm not certain you've been to college or else, you would know this.

:rolleyes: You go right on believing this as well. Seriously, it might be difficult to PROVE such bias as the motivation for a POOR grade (not outright failure), but to state as unequiocably as you do that such instance are rare (in uni no less) reflects your own credulity on this issue (fact is we DONT KNOW the actual rate of occurrence). Besides, GJL is quite right that one shouldn't have to hide their politics or pov when getting a degree in education (or any of the other soft sciences like polysci/psych/soc/etc). The staff at any GOOD school should be equally adept at understanding the basis of BOTH sides of an issue and grade accordingly to how the person has made his case under either paradigm.
 lukeiamyourdad
06-27-2007, 12:55 AM
:rolleyes: You go right on believing this as well. Seriously, it might be difficult to PROVE such bias as the motivation for a POOR grade (not outright failure), but to state as unequiocably as you do that such instance are rare (in uni no less) reflects your own credulity on this issue (fact is we DONT KNOW the actual rate of occurrence). Besides, GJL is quite right that one shouldn't have to hide their politics or pov when getting a degree in education (or any of the other soft sciences like polysci/psych/soc/etc). The staff at any GOOD school should be equally adept at understanding the basis of BOTH sides of an issue and grade accordingly to how the person has made his case under either paradigm.

Indeed we don't know. However, I know that there are different resources at your disposition, if you believe a teacher has been unfair to you. You can actually make your case and argument it. I think I badly worded my paragraph. I'm saying that instances where a teacher fails a student because of ideological differences are rare because if it was common practice, people would seriously talk more about it. "Rare" was specific to failing.

Poorer grades, I admit, I have been victim off, though with no serious proof, other then those who had a slightly more centrist view if not right wing one had poorer grades in a class with a ultra-feminist communist teacher. Correlation was present, but again, it's quite difficult to prove anything. And that's even though she rammed into anyone that expressed an opinion different then hers during class...

Note that I am not condoning such a thing. I find it regrettable and ideally, the staff should be able to be fully unbiased. Unfortunately, it's not possible.

Wasn't aware that was a sacrosanct position. Wouldn't be enough for me to avoid the possibility of collateral damage. If it's too hot.....get the hell out of the kitchen.

Although the logical thing to do is to leave (hey, those people do care about their lives), leaving would make people point fingers at how the UN always "quits". Seems you can't satisfy everyone eh?
 Totenkopf
06-27-2007, 2:13 AM
Indeed we don't know. However, I know that there are different resources at your disposition, if you believe a teacher has been unfair to you. You can actually make your case and argument it. I think I badly worded my paragraph. I'm saying that instances where a teacher fails a student because of ideological differences are rare because if it was common practice, people would seriously talk more about it. "Rare" was specific to failing.

Poorer grades, I admit, I have been victim off, though with no serious proof, other then those who had a slightly more centrist view if not right wing one had poorer grades in a class with a ultra-feminist communist teacher. Correlation was present, but again, it's quite difficult to prove anything. And that's even though she rammed into anyone that expressed an opinion different then hers during class...

Note that I am not condoning such a thing. I find it regrettable and ideally, the staff should be able to be fully unbiased. Unfortunately, it's not possible.

Yes, I agree with much of what you're saying here (also why I delineated between fail/poor). Frankly, I'm reasonably sure that one can guess that it IS indeed rare b/c few people contest their grades on this basis (or at least are known to do so). But it's precisely b/c there is no paper trail to make it a clear cut case AND, I suspect, b/c most students aren't confident enough or worked up enough to go that route. I don't find any fault in your other observation b/c corruption/incompetence is pervasive.

Although the logical thing to do is to leave (hey, those people do care about their lives), leaving would make people point fingers at how the UN always "quits". Seems you can't satisfy everyone eh?

Well, as military peope, they know that they are in a bad position. The IDF is not going to ignore enemies b/c they are in proximity to UN positions. But as to the UN, it might as well NOT put military forces anywhere it's incapable of using them as anything other than ineffectual observers. Easy way to end up with a bunch of corpses. He who sets out to satisfy everyone, ends up satifying no one, especially themselves. That's VERY true.
 John Galt
06-27-2007, 2:13 AM
I've always thought that schoolchildren should be taught to view problems and situations objectively, teaching them HOW to think, and not WHAT to think. In my opinion reason should be the cornerstone of the education system, and students should be told to take everything they are told with a grain of salt, so to speak.

Naturally, this will never happen because it would potentially result in the general public becoming generally more logical and discerning, which is decidedly not what lawyers, politicians, and most religious leaders want us to be. They want sheep, and pressing opinions on children, indoctrinating them early and well, is a very good way to turn people into obedient members of the left/right wing voting blocs. As long as there are strong conservatives and liberals (not that there are very many true conservatives left) in teaching positions and other stations of power in which they could influence the minds of large numbers of children, political indoctrination will remain the norm.
Page: 2 of 2