Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Fallout 3

Page: 2 of 4
 Char Ell
09-28-2008, 5:57 PM
I think it's almost time to play my first Bethesda RPG. Unlike Pavlos I have never been exposed to the Fallout franchise before so I have no emotional stake established from the previous Fallout games. It's pretty much a clean slate for me on this one. :)
 Arбtoeldar
10-01-2008, 7:16 PM
The Fallout 3 PC Interview: Bethesda on DRM, Censorship and Consolification (http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1012)
 Pavlos
10-10-2008, 7:09 AM
Source (http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/fallout3/news.html?sid=6199023&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1)

Fallout 3 has gone gold. There's not much more to say about that is there?

The eagerly awaited nuclear winter is almost here. A full decade after the release of the postapocalyptic role-playing game Fallout 2 on the PC and four years after work on the project began, Bethesda Softworks today announced that Fallout 3 has gone gold for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

Fried gold.
 Lantzen
10-10-2008, 7:14 AM
Fallout 3 got 81% from swedish PC Gamer, and also the note "It's like Oblivion with guns", and that was exactly what i didn't want it to be.

For those that have missed it it the xbox version have also leaked.
http://kotaku.com/5060952/fallout-3-360-compromised-by-pre+apocalyptic-pirates)
 stoffe
10-10-2008, 8:47 AM
"It's like Oblivion with guns", and that was exactly what i didn't want it to be.

"I saw some mutants by the water recently. I steered clear of them."
"Disgusting creatures! I hope to never see another."

:dev8:

That would be a bit disappointing. Morrowind and Oblivion are great and fun exploration games, but as RPGs they're somewhat lacking. :)
 Arбtoeldar
10-10-2008, 9:43 AM
Fallout 3 got 81% from swedish PC Gamer, and also the note "It's like Oblivion with guns", and that was exactly what i didn't want it to be.

For those that have missed it it the xbox version have also leaked.
http://kotaku.com/5060952/fallout-3-360-compromised-by-pre+apocalyptic-pirates)

From what I have read on other forums, Swedish PC Gamer isn't highly thought of by Swedish people.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-10-2008, 12:30 PM
"I saw some mutants by the water recently. I steered clear of them."
"Disgusting creatures! I hope to never see another."

:dev8:
:lol:

For some reason, and despite all proof against it, I still believe F3 will be something more.
 Lantzen
10-10-2008, 2:58 PM
From what I have read on other forums, Swedish PC Gamer isn't highly thought of by Swedish people. There forum aint atleast, happen something there so most members left ^^ But i think there reviews usaly is pretty good. I know that many many sites will give this a much higher score, but i think 81% will be what Fallout3 deserves from a RPG viewing point.

Like Stoffe said, Bethseda earlier games is fun with the exploring and such, but as a RPG they lack very much. just look at the dialouges on Oblivion xD

And a note, im one of those that think Oblivion is way overrated, it was fun at begining but then i started see flaws evrywhere and now i can't even bring myself to play it for another hour without mods that fixs the flaws, with them i can play it for 2 hours :xp:
 jrrtoken
10-10-2008, 6:47 PM
Now that I've just completed my first playthrough of the original Fallout, I can say that Fallout 3 seems to be very different from the original. One, the combat system feels very different, and I'm not talking about the real-time system or the first person perspective, but that it seems that you always have to fight and kill everything. In the original Fallout, you can practically talk your way out of almost every situation. Plus, the music seems very... err.... not good. Seeing that the original Fallout soundtrack was mainly ambiance, replacing that with a radio... yeah, my guess is that they don't have a streaming radio tower in a nuclear wasteland.

EDIT: Oh yes, the system requirements have also been released. Looks like my graphics card is supported... barely.

System Requirements (http://gameplasma.com/index.php?do=viewarticle&id=1269)
 Corinthian
10-10-2008, 9:18 PM
You've got some interesting perspective on the combat given that you haven't actually played the game.
 jrrtoken
10-10-2008, 10:06 PM
You've got some interesting perspective on the combat given that you haven't actually played the game.Hey, that's just from the gameplay videos that I've seen. Right now, I'm just basing it on that, of course, my opinion can change when I actually get the game. Everyone else has their feelings toward the new installment, but unless if you have a time machine, then I guess you have opinions on Fallout 3 before you've actually played it as well.
 Corinthian
10-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Gameplay videos are always going to show combat. Dialog isn't visual enough for a gameplay video.
 Arбtoeldar
10-11-2008, 4:20 AM
Gameplay videos are always going to show combat. Dialog isn't visual enough for a gameplay video.

He is right though. after I have watched some streaming of the x-box leak. The game plays more like Oblivion with guns with lots of combat then Fallout. If you don't want to fight. You better have a high stealth.
 Corinthian
10-11-2008, 5:14 AM
Okay, let me point out some logical flaws here.

1: You're assuming that just because you didn't see it, it wasn't there.

2: You couldn't talk your way past most of the random encounters in Fallout or Fallout 2.
 Arбtoeldar
10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Okay, let me point out some logical flaws here.

1: You're assuming that just because you didn't see it, it wasn't there.

2: You couldn't talk your way past most of the random encounters in Fallout or Fallout 2.

There were very few actual random encounters. Most of the combat was predetermined.

From what I have seen of this game. It is Oblivion with guns built for the Console Kiddies.
 Lynk Former
10-12-2008, 5:09 AM
As a citizen of Australia, I would like to formally apologise to the rest of the world for our effect on Fallout 3. Because of the shortcomings of the videogame classification ratings in my country, certain small changes have been made to Fallout 3.

So what is the change? Well "Morphine" has now been changed to "Med-X"... lol
 Sabretooth
10-12-2008, 8:15 AM
As a citizen of Australia, I would like to formally apologise to the rest of the world for our effect on Fallout 3. Because of the shortcomings of the videogame classification ratings in my country, certain small changes have been made to Fallout 3.

So what is the change? Well "Morphine" has now been changed to "Med-X"... lol
Yeah, because of you kangaroos we won't be getting our Drug Simulator 2009 now. ****.
 Lynk Former
10-12-2008, 8:50 AM
Oh, if they got upitty over one drug reference in Fallout 3... imagine what they're gonna do once they see what's in GTA China Town. Full on drug dealing... that'll go down well.
 Sabretooth
10-12-2008, 9:14 AM
Oh, if they got upitty over one drug reference in Fallout 3... imagine what they're gonna do once they see what's in GTA China Town. Full on drug dealing... that'll go down well.
Oh that's perfectly fine, so long as they don't have graphic depictions of substance abuse. Think of the children!
 Char Ell
10-13-2008, 9:22 PM
Bethesda has released the PC system requirements for Fallout 3 (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/faq.html)

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP/Vista
1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB System RAM
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)
Supported Video Card Chipsets:

NVIDIA GeForce 200 series
NVIDIA Geforce 9800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 9600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series
NVIDIA Geforce 8400 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
ATI HD 4800 series
ATI HD 4600 series
ATI HD 3800 series
ATI HD 3600 series
ATI HD 3400 series
ATI HD 2900 series
ATI HD 2600 series
ATI HD 2400 series
ATI X1900 series
ATI X1800 series
ATI X1600 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series Starting with Mass Effect I've noticed my PC only meets some of recommended requirements for these newer games. Hope my P4 will continue to make the grade until I can upgrade.
 Q
10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh, the amount of dread surrounding the release of this game! RPGCodex has at least a dozen threads dedicated to why this game will suck compared to the first two.
 Mr Roboto
10-13-2008, 11:42 PM
 Lantzen
10-22-2008, 4:29 PM
I wonder why they give they game 90% after reading these quotes:confused:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkkuyAAkkZLRNZgzIh.php)
 SpaceAlex
10-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I wonder why they give they game 90% after reading these quotes:confused:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/EkkuyAAkkZLRNZgzIh.php)

That's what I'm wondering too. Judging from the text, he wasn't that satisfied with the game at all. He even goes as far as to say that the quests are worse than those in Oblivion, which is extremely hard to believe, if you get my meaning. :D
 Lynk Former
10-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Oooooooooooooh Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabre!!

Rumor: Fallout 3 release on Xbox 360 canceled in India (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/22/fallout-3-release-on-xbox-360-canceled-in-india/)
 Sabretooth
10-23-2008, 1:50 AM
Oooooooooooooh Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabre!!

Rumor: Fallout 3 release on Xbox 360 canceled in India (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/22/fallout-3-release-on-xbox-360-canceled-in-india/)
Hmm, I didn't hear of this. And in any case, I wouldn't be concerned with Xbox 360 games. :p Considering the price at which Microsoft pitches their games, I'm not surprised that Sony is selling so well. Although a game being cancelled due to "cultural sensitivities" is definitely a first here.

And in any case, considering the extent of piracy here, I wonder if it even matters whether a publisher releases a title here or not. You're eventually going to see it sold on the street. :p As for myself, I prefer the Internets.
 Aash Li
10-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Cultural sensitivities?

Anyway, I picked up the game today... It looks nice, has the same general interface for Oblivion, as well as the nearly useless hotbar... woo! 8 whole slots! Game makes me think of the Oblivion world after a nuke hit. heh

Having trouble turning around to face my chara though. Seems I can only rotate the camera when shes sitting. And when you turn on the pipboy you toggle into run or walk... Still its kinda neat.
 Lynk Former
10-28-2008, 11:44 PM
@ Aash Li: Indian's don't like it when you knock their cows. I think there's a two headed mutant cow in Fallout 3, that's probably the reason.
 Aash Li
10-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Ooooooooh... I didnt think of that. Yeah theres 2-headed Brahmins. lol
 Sabretooth
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
@ Aash Li: Indian's don't like it when you knock their cows. I think there's a two headed mutant cow in Fallout 3, that's probably the reason.
That was a really bull**** decision taken by Microsoft, seeing as cows are hardly offensive. They are sacred and all yes, but it's not like they're gods. I mean you have beef and slaughterhouses here, it isn't a big deal. :/

Microsoft could have done some general market research first. I don't recall the last time anyone was ever offended due to anything regarding cows. :p

Edit: Even Diablo II's Secret Cow Level? ;) -RH
 Corinthian
10-29-2008, 3:54 PM
The Hindu religion is REALLY big on their cows. I wouldn't expect them to get angry about it, but then again, you never know. Still, the Hindus are usually pretty good about this kind of thing. Thicker skin than most.
 Lynk Former
10-29-2008, 8:20 PM
I dunno, maybe they got a message from some "cows rights" group or something... Microsoft really wants to appeal in India so they're not going to do anything that could potentially hurt their chances.
 Sabretooth
10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I dunno, maybe they got a message from some "cows rights" group or something... Microsoft really wants to appeal in India so they're not going to do anything that could potentially hurt their chances.
From I theory I heard on Digg, Microsoft decided to cut their losses. By not releasing the game, they won't lose money in manufacturing, distribution etc. if it ends up banned or boycotted later. Sensible market decision, but more like a nod to piracy amirite.
 Bob Lion54
10-30-2008, 5:50 AM
So, I got the game Tuesday and it is great. It's not "the same," but I was expecting that. Yet, at the same time, it feels like Fallout. I think it's a very natural progression of the series and had Black Isle not gone under, I could see them making this game.

I guess I should start by comparing it to Oblivion, since that was the big pre-release mantra of many original gamers. The Oblivion influence is there, but this IS Fallout. You can definitely tell the same company made both games, much like you can tell BioWare made KotOR and Jade Empire.

The menus in Fallout 3 are similar to Oblivion, and you will see (and hear) Baurus walking around, but the character diversity is better. Actually, it's probably just that there are less characters running around than in Oblivion, what with humanity barely around and all. The world is similar in that you are giving a map that you can pick a direction and just run and explore, which you could do in the original games by using your map and seeing the "travel lines" until you came across something, but in Fallout 3, you just manually run. Fast Travel is in the game once you discover an area of interest, however.

Combat works well in Fallout 3, although the turn based system is gone. The game plays like a First Person Shooter, until you use you V.A.T.S. The V.A.T.S. is awesome. You pick your target, and when you bring up V.A.T.S., you are given the old Fallout targeting system. You can target the mobs head, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg, and whatever weapon they are carrying, but if you want the best chance to hit, you can also target their torso. The cool thing is that if you target anything other than the torso, there's a chance the limb will get blown off or in the case of the head, explode.

The really cool thing happens after you select your target and click accept. The camera switches to a slow motion cinematic view. It will show you different angles of the fight from behind you to behind the mob to, my personal favourite, a closeup of my character's face, gleefully smiling as rounds are pumped into the enemy!

All in all, I find the combat system to be a good balance between the faster FPS type combat and the old Turn Based combat of the the originals.

The old Fallout mobs are back. While running around, I came across a Deathclaw. I was torn between "OH CRAP! THE DEATHCLAW IS GOING TO EAT ME!" and "YES! THIS IS AWESOME! A DEATHCLAW!" It was strange mix of fear and nostalgic excitement.

Voice acting is very good in the game. Ron Perlman returns with a new "War. War never changes." speech. Then you meet your Dad, who is voiced by Liam Neeson. Yep, Liam Neeson. The only other actor I picked out was Malcolm McDowell, who voiced The President. This seems a good time to mention a cool new function of your Pip Boy. It has a radio. You can turn it on and listen to The President giving patriotic speeches about rebuilding the American government and conquering the Wasteland as you play. There's also another radio station you can listen to and probably should because the two stations have different beliefs about what's best for the Wasteland. Both stations also play music between speeches by their respective host. Oh, and while not necessary, you can also pick up clues about the main quest through the radio. You're leaving the Vault is big news, and people are talking.

Anyway, I could go on for a while, but it's hard to think what to say without giving away spoilers. Overall, I like the game. It's fun and feels like it was done right. There are some things that perhaps could have been done better, but all in all, the atmosphere of the game works. One of my favourite early moments was picking up a Leather Armour. It's a small thing, perhaps, but it looks exactly like the Leather Armour from the originals, just in 3D and much more detailed.

And with that, I'm off to kill some more Super Mutants! The Wasteland calls!
 Aash Li
10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Nice review! I recognized the voices, but didnt pay attention to them being famous actors... I wonder if there were any actresses in the game we'd know. O.o

Have you tried using any Oblivion mods in the game? Im thinking about trying it. I just have to actually put the files where they go and turn on the game...
 SpaceAlex
10-30-2008, 4:52 PM
I pretty much agree with Bob Lion. It seems like that everything that was wrong with Oblivion was "fixed" in this game. No more two dimensional characters, a lot better writing and voice acting, quests that can be solved in more than one or two ways... It definitely feels more like the first two Fallouts (graphic, combat, and controls notwithstanding) than Oblivion, which is a very good thing indeed. I'll have to play some more before I make any final judgments, though.

Have you tried using any Oblivion mods in the game? Im thinking about trying it. I just have to actually put the files where they go and turn on the game...

Even though the game's using the same engine as Oblivion, the content is different; I doubt any Oblivion mods will actually work. The only "mods" from Oblivion that I'm using is some .ini tweaks and in-game console commands (like changing the game's timescale). Those work because they are more Gamebryo engine than Oblivion related.
 Lantzen
10-30-2008, 6:13 PM
I disagree with it being more Falloutish then Oblivionish ^^ Both me and my friend played thourgh the begining then when we went outside the vault and started exploring we went into a raider base. After being in there for like a minute we both looked on eachother and said "This feels like Oblivion". Well i haven't played so long yet, but im not too impressed yet.

I think the random bases feels way to much like the dungeons in Oblivion, and i really don't think it belong to the Fallout universe to have raider bases evrywhere, i mean in whole Fallout 1 & 2 we encoutered like three raider bases and they were story bases. It would be alot better if they did it like STALKER where the raiders actually move around the world (Well maybe they do, but i havent encounterd any yet in the way im thinking)

And i really wondering about the removal of traits, was it to much of a hassle to have start traits like in 1 & 2 ? Where they to similar to perks for Bethseda to bother make them ?

But overall the game is pretty funny, but not like the old Fallout games, i have the feel of playing Oblivion with guns and alittle better dialougs. But like i said, i havent played for to long so my opinion may change when i get more into the main story.

And a last note, i was pretty dissapointing in the Vault, they should have make the layout like the old vaults instead of random passages. Like thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7q71jAAakE)
 Lance Monance
10-30-2008, 6:58 PM
Hm.. need more reviews people! Fallout is like the only series of good RPGs I've never played and I plan to play all 3 of them starting with this one...
..if it is any good that is. :)

EDIT: Ok, that gamebanshee article.. is that true? Quest are worse than Oblivion's?
 Lantzen
10-30-2008, 7:53 PM
I would recommend that you start with Fallout 1 then 2, because they are so much better then Fallout 3 probaly ever will be (Yes, im a hardcore Fallout fan, since Fallout2 top my list of best games ever:xp:)
 SpaceAlex
10-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I disagree with it being more Falloutish then Oblivionish ^^ Both me and my friend played thourgh the begining then when we went outside the vault and I think the random bases feels way to much like the dungeons in Oblivion, and i really don't think it belong to the Fallout universe to have raider bases evrywhere, i mean in whole Fallout 1 & 2 we encoutered like three raider bases and they were story bases. It would be alot better if they did it like STALKER where the raiders actually move around the world (Well maybe they do, but i havent encounterd any yet in the way im thinking)

It's definitely similar in many aspects (similar graphic and gameplay), but writing and atmosphere isn't one of them, IMO. But each to their own. It's purely a matter of opinion.

I agree about the raiders, though I must say that it doesn't bother me that much; I never expected this game to be just like the first two Fallouts anyway. In fact, I chose not to compare it to the first two Fallouts at all. This helps me get over some annoyances... if I don't consider it to be a sequel, but rather a game set in the Fallout universe.

It would be nice if they could release a construction set. That way I would be able to get rid of all of the annoyances pretty fast.

EDIT: Ok, that gamebanshee article.. is that true? Quest are worse than Oblivion's?

As far as I can tell, that's definitely not true. I think the one who wrote that review never played or enjoyed the first two Fallouts, but liked Oblivion.
 Arбtoeldar
10-31-2008, 12:31 AM

They won't work. While the two games share the same basic engine. Fallout's engine has been tweaked.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/index.php)
 stingerhs
10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
all this comparisons to Oblivion, i think, is just utter nonsense. IMHO, this game is its own game pure and simple. yes, you can tell its from the same developer, but i really don't see the point in sweating out little details like "the lighting is similar" or "it feels like they scattered Oblivion dungeons everywhere". if you go in comparing it to Oblivion, then that's all you'll see. if you go in to just play the game, i know you'll have a lot of fun because i'm having a lot of fun.

yes, i notice similarities between the two games, but the main reason is that i pay attention to a lot of technical nuances. that comes from being a detail-oriented programmer and not from a desire to pick the game apart trying to find every last similarity to other games.

so far, i'm having a lot of fun, but for the moment, my character is struggling a bit because he can't seem to find enough ammo....
 Lance Monance
10-31-2008, 1:58 PM
How would you rate it compared to other good RPGs you've played, say Kotor, BG2, PS:T, the Witcher, ME, Motb, vampire 2, .. (assuming you have played any of those :))
 SpaceAlex
10-31-2008, 2:39 PM
How would you rate it compared to other good RPGs you've played, say Kotor, BG2, PS:T, the Witcher, ME, Motb, vampire 2, .. (assuming you have played any of those :))

I can't really. I hold all of those in high regard, so I don't really consider one better than the other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses (more of the former, though), and I've enjoyed them all one way or another.
 Lantzen
10-31-2008, 7:35 PM
all this comparisons to Oblivion, i think, is just utter nonsense. IMHO, this game is its own game pure and simple. yes, you can tell its from the same developer, but i really don't see the point in sweating out little details like "the lighting is similar" or "it feels like they scattered Oblivion dungeons everywhere". if you go in comparing it to Oblivion, then that's all you'll see. if you go in to just play the game, i know you'll have a lot of fun because i'm having a lot of fun.

yes, i notice similarities between the two games, but the main reason is that i pay attention to a lot of technical nuances. that comes from being a detail-oriented programmer and not from a desire to pick the game apart trying to find every last similarity to other games.

so far, i'm having a lot of fun, but for the moment, my character is struggling a bit because he can't seem to find enough ammo.... Yeah, opinions is a bitch, aint they ?

@Lance: Well like i said, Fallout 2 atleast top my list of best games i played, and i played all those you listed there. And i think all the games you listed also is very good, Kotor, PS:T, BG2 are atleast very high up on my same list. And like SpaceAlex said, they all have there strength and weakness, like i don't think there is a game that even can come close to match PS:T story and dialougs, but it's still aint my favorite RPG
 stingerhs
10-31-2008, 7:46 PM
^^^^
yeah, and you can watch your language, too. moreso when the entire comment is offensive.
 Boba Rhett
11-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Anyone running into game ending bugs? I keep on getting locked in houses. Just lost an hour of play to it. Score's nosediving.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
11-01-2008, 9:06 AM
Anyone running into game ending bugs? I keep on getting locked in houses. Just lost an hour of play to it. Score's nosediving.None that I haven't caused >_>
 stingerhs
11-02-2008, 4:02 AM
hehe, i keep getting myself into situations where i'm fighting outnumbered and outgunned. those moments can be frustrating at times, but its also rather rewarding when i'm the last man standing.

at least i solved the problem of not having enough ammo. i will say this about this game: stealth works pretty darn good. i just wish that you had some cool takedown animations whenever you sneak up behind someone and knife'em real good.

otherwise, no game-breaking bugs or otherwise thus far. :)
 Serpentine Cougar
11-02-2008, 9:33 AM
The review of Fallout 3 (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5419-Review-Fallout-3.2) on The Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/) says there's somewhere around 500 different endings! Is this true?

I haven't played the first two Fallouts. Do you think I'd like Fallout 3 more if I played it first or waited till after playing the first two?
Page: 2 of 4