Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Oblivious to the Nines

Page: 2 of 2
 stoffe
08-07-2007, 3:01 PM
Yea, Jewell just got the boot from the Mage’s Guild for allegedly stealing from a fellow wizard. I guess she can’t really deny it since she was caught red handedly. I just found the ordeal kind of strange that she was striped of her membership while allowing the same wizard to beat her upside her head.

The criminal system in Cyrodiil is rather onsided, I don't think NPCs ever get kicked from their factions no matter what they do, or are even capable of accumulating a bounty. On the flipside the Town Guards always seem to respond with deadly force if an NPC is caught doing something illegal (brawling, stealing or pickpocketing usually), fines and going to jail seem to be reserved for the player only. Rather draconian to be killed by the police for pickpocketing an apple from another citizen. :)

Also found it funny that the Arch-mage could be kicked out without any type of due process. Raminus Polus let her back in after she wondered around the woods picking a few flowers for him. She cheated and purchased some from the locals.

That never made much sense to me either. Once you are the leader of a guild you're the head cheese, nobody should have the rank to expel you. One of the first mods for Oblivion I did was to block out guild expulsion if you're the Arch-mage, Fighter's Guild Guildmaster or Gray Fox (mostly out of principle since my character tend to be fairly well-behaved when someone is watching anyway).

I haven’t found that yet, but I will keep my eyes open because that sounds good.

I think it's only random loot so it's pure chance when/where you find it. At least I found it in two completely different places in my two games so far.

The work around caused me to perform a murder, so I’ve got four now.

If you want an unblemished criminal record while having to kill someone a Frenzy spell is pretty useful. Since it causes them to attack first you won't get any bounty since you are just defending yourself, in most cases (I think you still get a bounty if you attack a guard no matter what, even if they attack you first).

I’ve completed the Main Quest, Fighters Guild Quests, Mages Guild Quests, Thieves Guild Quests and all but Hermaeus Mora quest in the Daedric Quests. I’m taking Stoffe’s advice and waiting till my strength is at a natural 100 before starting that quest.

You don't need to wait to do the quest itself. The reward is a book, Oghma Infinium, which you can read whenever you wish (which gives the stat bonuses when read). So you just need to hold on to the book and not read it until you are ready. :)

Save before doing Hermaeus Mora's quest though, there is some bug that sometimes causes the special Soul Trap spell he gives you to misfire, making it impossible for you to complete the quest. Also, only use it ONCE on someone of every race or it might fail and break the quest as well. (Bandits, Necromancers and Marauders are a pretty good way to find one creature of every race without having to murder someone.)

Alessia Ottus is now on the wagon. I cleaned out her place as a member of the Thieves Guild. I keep going back and stealing all the food that keeps reappearing in the home. Needless to say the family must be eating out a lot, although I have no clue how she is paying for it as I pickpocket her every chance I get.

I'd guess the City Watch won't get any glowing praise for their exemplary law enforcement in the next revision of her books either, then. :)
 mimartin
08-07-2007, 5:36 PM
mostly out of principle since my character tend to be fairly well-behaved when someone is watching anyway.

Mine does too, but I do love the Thieves Guild Quest especially The Ultimate Heist. Just wish you could keep the fancy foot ware a little longer.

Jewell’s only spent one night in jail due to the quest in Burma were jail is the only option.

If you want an unblemished criminal record while having to kill someone a Frenzy spell is pretty useful.

I’ve been looking to buy a Frenzy spell, but no one I’ve check with sells them.

You don't need to wait to do the quest itself…

Save before doing Hermaeus Mora's quest though, there is some bug that sometimes causes the special Soul Trap spell he gives you to misfire, making it impossible for you to complete the quest.

Thanks on both counts. After the problems I had with the Clavicus Vile quest it is good to know I should save and save often on the Hermaeus Mora’s quest. I must have done the Clavicus Vile quest 10 times before I searched the internet about the freezing up of the game. You save me all kinds of frustration, thanks.

I'd guess the City Watch won't get any glowing praise for their exemplary law enforcement in the next revision of her books either, then. :)
I doubt she will be writing much more after I join the Dark Brotherhood. She also now has a nice collection of Totems hidden in her home. I don’t know if the Goblins will find a way into the Imperial City to retrieve their lost treasure, but it is a nice thought.
 stoffe
08-07-2007, 5:58 PM
Mine does too, but I do love the Thieves Guild Quest especially The Ultimate Heist. Just wish you could keep the fancy foot ware a little longer.

I think you can keep the boots if you don't wear them when you jump down the shaft and have enough health/acrobatics to survive the fall without them.

Jewell’s only spent one night in jail due to the quest in Burma were jail is the only option.

That quest annoyed me that the only way of doing it is to get thrown in prison, so I haven't done it in any of my games yet. Since starting out the game in prison my character has sworn never to end up there again no matter what. :) You'd think a good spellcaster should be able to get him to speak up using Charm or Command spells, but unfortunately not. The quests are pretty single-tracked with not much wiggle room for creativity in to how to solve them, normally.

I’ve been looking to buy a Frenzy spell, but no one I’ve check with sells them.

The Altmer running the Mystic Emporium in the Imperial City (market district) should sell some, as should Delphine Jend at the Bravil Mages' guild. If I remember correctly those spells are fairly weak, but they teach you the Frenzy effect so you can make your own Magnitude 100 spells with it at a Spellmaking altar. (Magnitude 100 Frenzy work on any level of character even though it's listed as "max lvl 25" in the spell description.)

If you have the Shivering Isles expansion you'll get a Frenzy Greater Power for free if you pass through the Gates of Madness via the Gate of Mania after beating the Gatekeeper.

I doubt she will be writing much more after I join the Dark Brotherhood. She also now has a nice collection of Totems hidden in her home. I don’t know if the Goblins will find a way into the Imperial City to retrieve their lost treasure, but it is a nice thought.

I've only seen the named goblin tribes raid the lairs of other named goblin tribes to get their totem back, but I haven't experimented with it much so I don't know if they will follow elsewhere as well. Doesn't seem to have been any goblin invasion in the market district after I sold a bunch of totem staves there at least. :)
 SilentScope001
08-07-2007, 7:31 PM
That quest annoyed me that the only way of doing it is to get thrown in prison, so I haven't done it in any of my games yet

Uh, there is another way.

Find one of the beggers and speak with them about "Amusei" to learn that he was arrested and thrown in jail. Go to the Castle and follow the marker on your map down to the dungeon, speak with the Jailor about "Amusei" bribe the jailor in order to speak with Amusei. Speak with Amusei about "Ahdarji's ring" offer him a lockpick in return for his information. Amusei stole the ring from Ahdarji, but Ahdarji had stolen the ring from the Countess of Leyawiin.

EDIT: Edited with correct informaton on how to complete the quest, I got confused. I thought you were referring to the original Theives' "Join" quest. Hopefully, the spoiler should have what you need.
 stoffe
08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Uh, there is another way.
(snipped spoiler)

I thought you were referring to the original Theives' "Join" quest. Hopefully, the spoiler should have what you need.

I wasn't thinking of any of the Thieves' Guild related quests, but the one in Bruma where the husband is in jail and his wife wants you to find out where he has hidden the loot of their robbery (or something like that, it's been a while). As far as I know the only way to get the imprisoned guy to even speak to you is to be thrown in jail in Bruma yourself.
 mimartin
08-08-2007, 11:35 AM
The Bruma quest is called “Two Sides of the Coin.” You do have choices within the quest, but I have not found a way around going to jail in order to get Jorundr to trust you.

On a sad note Mazoga The Orc was found dead in Rockmilk Cave. Though sadden Jewell stripped the Orc of her belongs and sold them in Leyawiin. She used some of the proceeds to buy a nice bottle of wine and drank it in Mazoga honor.

Thanks again Stoffe, I’ve completed the Hermaeus Mora quest last night.
I tried Bandit and Marauders, but soon decided Necromancers were a better option since they don’t wear helmets. After getting 9 souls I had real trouble with the last one, but thanks to your input went back to a previous save and fixed the problem. I could not figure out what race the last soul was. If Jewell would have committed suicide she would have had it because it was a Wood Elf too. Guess I need to work on getting her intelligence up even higher.

Edit: Does anyone know if a Frenzy spell would work on the Grey Prince? I’ve always hated getting a murder for completing the Arena quest line.

That is the thing about this game that keeps me playing it. There is always something else to try.

I’ve just broken down and ordered high speed internet for my home so I will be on Xbox Live by the end of the month. So Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine here I come.
 SilentScope001
08-08-2007, 4:59 PM
Ah, alright. I checked the strat guides. You are right, the only way to complete that quest is to be thrown in jail. Shame for railroading.
 mimartin
08-08-2007, 5:39 PM
Ah, alright. I checked the strat guides. You are right, the only way to complete that quest is to be thrown in jail. Shame for railroading.

Don’t worry about it. I really appreciate your trying to help, thank you for the attempt. It is more my fault for not being clear about the exact quest, I was being vague in an attempt not to spoil the game for Cygnus Q'ol or anyone else that has not completed it yet.
 Point Man
08-08-2007, 8:40 PM
I hated that, too. I want my character to be good. Why do I have to go to jail to complete this quest?
 mimartin
08-21-2007, 5:49 PM
Jewell has now completed the Dark Brotherhood quest. Alessia Ottus is no more, but no one around Cyrodiil seems to have noticed. I tried a poison apple, but got second thoughts worried that someone else in the family might eat it. So I went with an arrow in the head at her home. Jewell even stayed around to see her family reaction which was just to look down at the lifeless body as they walked by.

My question is I’m getting Xbox live to get Knights of the Nine and other expansions offered by Xbox. Anyone have any recommendations as to should I keep this game or start a new one before tackling the added content? I’ve either maxed out or I’m pretty closed to maxing out on all my skills and Attributes. I’ve also completed every documented and most undocumented quest in the un-updated game. Money wise I have all the equipment I need and a little over 3 million pieces of gold (I’m just glade gold does not count as far a weight goes).
 stoffe
08-21-2007, 6:31 PM
My question is I’m getting Xbox live to get Knights of the Nine and other expansions offered by Xbox. Anyone have any recommendations as to should I keep this game or start a new one before tackling the added content?

Unless your character has a serious change of heart from her Dark Brotherhood affiliation and atones you'd have to start over for Knights of the Nine, since you're required to have no Infamy (or at most 1 point) to be allowed to do that quest line and become a divine crusader. Conveniently for all evil-doers there is a quest included you can make to atone for your dark past and have all Infamy points removed.

As for the Shivering Isles expansion it doesn't matter much what you have already done, since that whole expansion takes place in Oblivion (the dimension, not the game) and not in Cyrodiil, with a whole new world map to explore, quests to do, types of items to find and make, and monsters to lock horns with. (You can travel back and forth between the Shivering Isles and Cyrodiil through the Oblivion Gate any time you want though.)

Personally I think it makes more sense from a story perspective to be a high-level (20+), veteran character when doing that plot line. Wouldn't make sense for a "fresh from the dungeon" neophyte to go to Oblivion and start meddling in Daedric affairs, especially not with the direction the main plot takes. :) Sheogorath may be mad, but I doubt even he would pick some fresh weakling as a champion. :)
 RellioN
08-22-2007, 6:43 AM
If only I had a better computer, I would be so addicted to this game. But right now its just annoying to play it.
 mimartin
08-23-2007, 7:35 PM
Oh, ok. I usually do the Mage's Guild quests very early to get access to spellmaking/enchanting so I haven't gotten any Grand Soul Gems by then to try it out. Good to know though. :)
I started a new play through and at level 1 after getting out of the sewer and exploring a couple bandit hideaways for some gold, I paid a visit to the Altmer running the Mystic Emporium for a Frenzy spell. He had one Grand Soul Gem for sale that I used most of my funds to purchase. I then went to Fort Istirus (I believe that is correct, the fort just south of Gold Road between Kvatch and Skingrad) and after waiting a few days I got my Black Soul Gem. Just wanted to let you know the Altars do work before beginning the Mage’s Guild quest and at extremely low levels.

I would have never thought you could purchase a Grand Soul Gem at level one without actually doing it. Still didn’t get a Frenzy Spell as I used all my gold on the Soul Gem and a Soul Trap Scroll.
 Cygnus Q'ol
09-19-2007, 7:28 AM
I've only just begun, but Shivering Isles is visually stunning. As when I first started (and still do) Oblivion, I find myself staring up at the skies. The colors at dawn, dusk, and night are very compelling and the constellations are magnificent. Another world it surely is, right down to the plantlife and creatures.

As I take a break from running around the Crucible, I travel back and continue my Knights of the Nine crusade. In Stendarr's Mercy, I accept the curse of Kellen by praying at the altar of Stendarr. The quest list tells me to go and talk to him, but there isn't any conversation prompt when I return to him and engage. Maybe he doesn't feel like talking yet.

A bear killed my horse on the search for Fort Bulwark, I'm a bit sad. I've had that horse for quite a while. Whenever attacked on the road, except for bandits, everything always attacks my horse.
She was a good horse. I'm gonna miss her... (sniff)
...just a moment.

Anyway, there's one last gate in Fort Bulwark where the "Shield" lies. The gate is opened remotely. I've searched high and low. There must be a catch to this one.

I've been to the Sacred Grove where Kynareth's test is and there prowls the biggest bear I've ever seen. Is there anyway to talk to the bear, because every time I kill it, I fail the test. I really didn't want to, but he is huge and not very friendly.

...and has anyone seen Rusia Bradus. I've been to her house but she never comes out. Or does she? What does she do in there all by herself all day?:)

Madness Armor Rules !!!
 stoffe
09-19-2007, 8:10 AM
I've only just begun, but Shivering Isles is visually stunning. As when I first started (and still do) Oblivion, I find myself staring up at the skies. The colors at dawn, dusk, and night are very compelling and the constellations are magnificent.

Indeed, plenty of eye candy in the skies in Oblivion with all the different weather types and various times of the day. Those faint "crack"-like patterns you can see in the sky sometimes seem to be an Oblivion feature, since the blood red skies in Mehrunes Dagon's Deadlands seemed to have similar features. Sheogorath is a much better decorator of his realm than MD though, IMO. :)

Some random sunset/sunrise pics:
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8145/shiversunrise1sv2.th.jpg) (http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8145/shiversunrise1sv2.jpg) http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8282/shiversunset1ch9.th.jpg) (http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8282/shiversunset1ch9.jpg)
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7521/shiversunset2pk5.th.jpg) (http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7521/shiversunset2pk5.jpg) http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9295/shivernight1yj3.th.jpg) (http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9295/shivernight1yj3.jpg)

As I take a break from running around the Crucible, I travel back and continue my Knights of the Nine crusade. In Stendarr's Mercy, I accept the curse of Kellen by praying at the altar of Stendarr. The quest list tells me to go and talk to him, but there isn't any conversation prompt when I return to him and engage. Maybe he doesn't feel like talking yet.

I don't think he has anything meaningful to say. In my case he was just running around like a kid, making a scene about no longer being ill. I think it's enough you just go up and fetch the gloves. You'll be stuck with the curse until just before you're off to face Umaril, after that it will be lifted. Guess it doesn't make much sense to the Nine to leave their champ weakened when he/she is off to face an enemy of their faith. :)

Anyway, there's one last gate in Fort Bulwark where the "Shield" lies. The gate is opened remotely. I've searched high and low. There must be a catch to this one.

Hmm, which room are you in? The one with the four statues with a symbol in the center? If so you'll need to use the crank on each statue to rotate it until all four face the symbol.

If it's in the room after that, with a line of statues along the walls and a large chest on a podium in the center you'll need to place each item spawned in the center chest in the container by the statue it belongs to. If you place it wrong it will just disappear, and you might see a glowing image of another item hovering briefly in front of the statue where that item belongs. When you've placed the correct item by each statue here the gate will open.

I've been to the Sacred Grove where Kynareth's test is and there prowls the biggest bear I've ever seen. Is there anyway to talk to the bear, because every time I kill it, I fail the test. I really didn't want to, but he is huge and not very friendly.

Keep in mind that Kynareth is the nature goddess among the Nine. Essentially you'll just have to stand your ground there while the bear pummels you for a while without retaliating. If you take what it has to dish out without counterattacking it will stop after a short while, walk away, and a passage will open. Make sure you unequip any items with damage reflection when you do this quest. And hang on to the boots when you get them, you'll need them to be able to complete one of the other quests.

...and has anyone seen Rusia Bradus. I've been to her house but she never comes out. Or does she? What does she do in there all by herself all day?:)

The Athletics trainer in Anvil? She might be a bit tricky to find, since she heads outside at 04:00 PM and only stays outside for two hours. The rest of the time she spends indoors at home. I think she only goes outside if it isn't raining as well, but I'm not sure about that. When she is outside she usually wanders about in the western end of Anvil near the circle with the benches, IIRC.

Madness Armor Rules !!!

If you've gone to the Shivering Isles while you're below level 20 or so, keep in mind that the quality of the Amber and Madness items you can have made for you varies depending on your level. I think "Perfect" is the prefix that signifies the highest quality (which tends to be 1 point of damage/defense better than Daedric), so if you haven't got that you can "upgrade" after leveling up by having the smiths make new gear for you. :)
 Rogue15
09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I picked up Oblivion the other week, played Morrowind ALOT...on Xbox, got the PC version but it wasn't the same, besides the super-fast loading times. I had 2 characters, my argonian and dark elf. Argonian got into alot of trouble, had a death warrant and not enough gold, think i had him attack a few ordinators didn't matter though as he killed off one of the main persons for house telvanni and the main quest (that wizard guy that you need to get the key from in arvs drelen to unlock the gate in his basement to free the imperial legion guy)...my Dark Elf....screwed up...he had killed someone he shouldn't have, so had to kill Vivec and use the backpath....his health got reduced to like 80 overall, so had to enchant a whole set of armor with health, managed to beat the main quest as him as well, i had him on GOTY but it was pointless only having roughly 120 health trying to go to solshiem and mournhold/clockwork city...suicidal. so i ended up quitting...mostly because SWG was able to run on my computer.

I got the Xbox 360 about 11 days ago. Main reason I wanted one in the first place was for Oblivion, but ended up getting GRAW 2 because my friends play that on xbox live. I check the price of oblivion a few days later, it's priced to $30, so i pick it up, get home and OMG, once i escaped the prison i wanted to see how high up the mountain i could go....got pretty far up without having to travel around...then looked down..oh my god. the graphics in the game are very nice, the framerate isn't bad, loading takes but a few seconds, oh and is it just me, or after a few dozen rests/waits the trees change color during the different seasons? I'm in Frost Fall and notice how some of the trees leaves are fall colors.

The AI is done pretty well, I went into this one shop...Nobody at the counter, i peak over and the shopkeeper is sleeping on a mat! I was about to steal something but noticed a guard was there watching...scared the crap out of me. lol

I've had a few run-ins with the law...mostly for horse stealing. I can't help it, but when i see a guard attacking a bandit, and the horse is RIGHT THERE.... :joy: leaves me out of gold once they catch up though.

The lip synching is done nice as well...

btw you CAN listen to other music besides what's in oblivion if you have xbox and computer connected through a router, get windows media player 11, and have it share media, you can then select and play any music you have! That's one of my favorite things about the 360. But for right now, except in certain cases where i decide to go in a goblin's lair and blast godsmack's 'i stand alone' while going straight for the shaman, i will continue to enjoy the game's awesome soundtrack. :)
 mimartin
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
And hang on to the boots when you get them, you'll need them to be able to complete one of the other quests.
So you don’t have to keep all the armor from the Knights of the Nine quests until the boss battle? I thought you did so that is what I equipped the PC with for the battle.

If you've gone to the Shivering Isles while you're below level 20 or so, keep in mind that the quality of the Amber and Madness items you can have made for you varies depending on your level. I think "Perfect" is the prefix that signifies the highest quality (which tends to be 1 point of damage/defense better than Daedric), so if you haven't got that you can "upgrade" after leveling up by having the smiths make new gear for you. :)
Thanks for the advice Stoffe. I’ve bought Shivering Isles but haven’t been there yet. I did Knight of the Nine first and then Orrery. I purchase everything available with the exception of The Vile Lair.

A bear killed my horse on the search for Fort Bulwark, I'm a bit sad.May I suggest you invest in the Horse Armor Pack. I don’t know how much it helps, but at least now the bandit seem to attack me instead of my horse. It also make it easier to spot your horse in a crowd, no use getting a bounty on your head because of a mistake.

Anyone played Mehrunes’ Razor? I’m thinking of taking a break from the Mages Guild Quests line and checking it out. Any advice?

Hmm, which room are you in? The one with the four statues with a symbol in the center? If so you'll need to use the crank on each statue to rotate it until all four face the symbol. That room and the room where you put the items in the right container gave me trouble. Even in HD it was hard to see the symbols until I stopped using night-eye. That and getting cursed every other quest was a little annoying, but fun.

I've had a few run-ins with the law...mostly for horse stealing. I can't help it, but when i see a guard attacking a bandit, and the horse is RIGHT THERE.... :joy: leaves me out of gold once they catch up though. I use to try to help the guard in that situation, but kept getting assault changes when the guard got in my way. Now I set back and wait for the Imperial guard to prevail and then strip the dead bandit of his positions. I love making gold off someone else labor for a change.
 stoffe
09-19-2007, 1:44 PM
So you don’t have to keep all the armor from the Knights of the Nine quests until the boss battle? I thought you did so that is what I equipped the PC with for the battle.

I mostly meant not to stash them somewhere until having gathered everything due to encumberance or something like that. But, even though you do need to collect all the weapons and armor parts before confronting Umaril there is nothing forcing you to actually wear them during the fight. Doing so makes Umaril a lot easier to fight since wearing them all triggers some sort of aura that strips a good chunk off his stats, but I thought he was pretty easy to beat even without that. I didn't like the style of the armor, too much tin can for my character's style, so I didn't actually use them.

After the Umaril fight is done, and you chat with the ghosts in the basement of the priory, you can stash the whole set of weapons/armor at the fashion doll in the alcove you originally found the cuirass on, by clicking on it. If you don't intend to keep using them, that is. :)

Anyone played Mehrunes’ Razor? I’m thinking of taking a break from the Mages Guild Quests line and checking it out. Any advice?

I've completed it. Depending if you intend to keep using the Razor you may want to hold off doing it until you are at least level 20, to get the best version of the dagger at the end. Then you get the equivalent of a Daedric dagger in base damage, though that's of course not its primary purpose. The Razor is a dagger with a unique model that has a certain percentage chance to instantly kill enemies when it strikes.

The quest itself is fairly straightforward. If your strength isn't very high you may want to bring a whole bunch of strength enhancing items if you want to be able to get the dagger without a whole bunch of Infamy points at the end (you can force the final gate open with brute force by activating it rather than eating the You-Know-What).

You may also want to leave the bad guys sparring in the training cave next to the lower level of the village alive before releasing the Morag Tong assassin from his cell, so they'll detect and kill him. He has a pretty nice set of unique gear you can only pick off his corpse. (Unless you feel like killing him yourself even though he's not hostile, of course...)

I use to try to help the guard in that situation, but kept getting assault changes when the guard got in my way. Now I set back and wait for the Imperial guard to prevail and then strip the dead bandit of his positions.

Cooperative combat in Oblivion is hopeless. The quests where you have someone fighting on your side are the most difficult ones since they will with 99.9999999999% certainty get in the way so you'll accidentally hit them, and then they'll get offended and start attacking you back. So when you don't have to keep them alive I just stand back and watch them do their thing, otherwise I try to finish off the enemy before the AI characters catch up.

(As for those random bandit/monster encounters, when the monsters get tough enough to overpower the Legion soldiers you can strip the soldiers of their armor and sell that instead. :) They seem to respawn every few days when killed. )
 Rogue15
09-19-2007, 5:02 PM
i like that you can block and end the fight if you hit the person on accident.

However, If I was helping out a guard and accidentally hit him, would I be considered a criminal for that? Never actually tried that.

I am starting to see how some people don't like that the world levels up with you. One of my friends was telling me that there isn't any reason to level up at all, now is that true?
 stoffe
09-19-2007, 5:18 PM
I am starting to see how some people don't like that the world levels up with you. One of my friends was telling me that there isn't any reason to level up at all, now is that true?

Well, you do get better loot when you level up. But pretty much all enemies will get better gear as well, so it's not much of an advantage in a fight, mostly useful to sell things to get loads of gold. When you get to around level 20 so even random peasants and farmers will be loaded with Daedric weapons. Pretty ridiculous IMO.

If you don't focus a fair bit on your combat skills when leveling up you'll get hopelessly overpowered eventually since nasties focus pretty well on the combat skills when they're auto-leveled.

The only real advantage of leveling up is being able to do the Daedric shrine quests, since they have level requirements to do, ranging up to level 21.
 HerbieZ
09-19-2007, 7:02 PM
i like that you can block and end the fight if you hit the person on accident.

However, If I was helping out a guard and accidentally hit him, would I be considered a criminal for that? Never actually tried that.

Minotaur lords look mighty and Herbie fears them.
 mimartin
09-19-2007, 7:44 PM
I like that you can block and end the fight if you hit the person on accident. Only works if your disposition is high enough with the person you accidentally hit.

However, If I was helping out a guard and accidentally hit him, would I be considered a criminal for that? Never actually tried that.I never had one actually take me to jail for it, but it shows up as an assault under the character menu (same menu that has different stats including “Days Passed” at the top). I do know (again by accident) if you actually kill one you will get a hefty bounty.

One of my friends was telling me that there isn't any reason to level up at all, now is that true?I bow to Stoffe’s advise here. Although I also like to level occasionally to continue my training, my character is set up in a way that I always get 5’s across the board when I finally do decide to level. The magic disciplines plus hand to hand are my major skills. When I decide I have had enough advancement in my minor skills is when I finally start using my major skills. Stoffe taught me that the magic skills level up quickly.

Minotaur lords look mighty and Herbie fears them.My past character, a little wood elf, used minotaur lord for hand-to-hand practice. I only fear and loath those undead bloodsuckers. I face my fear and destroy them wherever they may hide. With the exception of you know who.

Thanks again, for the advise Stoffe. :)
 Rogue15
09-19-2007, 9:19 PM
Only works if your disposition is high enough with the person you accidentally hit.

that's why i play that game alot. lol though i accidentally lost alot of gold bribing one time.....-_-
 Cygnus Q'ol
09-21-2007, 5:38 PM
Thanks again, for the advise Stoffe. :)

Absolutely, Stoffe's advise and mentoring has allowed me to truly enjoy this game from the very onset.

I've played alot of games and when playing a second or third time through a game, sometimes I'd say something like, "I wish I'd have known this or I would have loved to have done that the first time."

Stoffe has a brilliant way of knowing where you're at, easing some info for you, but not spoiling the experience of the game at all.

Stoffe you are a true master, thank you.

You're not so bad yourself mimartin, I've learned alot from you as well. :)
Much Obliged.

I wear my Perfect Madness armor to sleep. I love it so.
Just wish I could find the greaves and boots. I'll venture back and find them when I've secured my destiny with the Nines.
 mimartin
09-27-2007, 5:57 PM
You're not so bad yourself mimartin, I've learned alot from you as well. :)
Much Obliged.
Your Welcome, and thank you. I've learned so much from Stoffe's replies to your questions.

I've only just begun, but Shivering Isles is visually stunning. It is beautiful, but all the residence are completely nuts. They all talk in circles and even after you help them they still talk like they want to kill you. The Sheogorath fellow is the nuttiest of them all. I was shocked when one guy ask me to kill him. Now I’m thinking he might just be on to something.

Then this Thadon person send my off to get hooked on some type of drug, this is truly the “Realm of Madness.” It may be time to head back to Cyrodiil were the loonies only write books.

I need to head back to Cyrodiil and depots some of this loot. Is there a place where you purchase a house in the insane asylum?

If you cannot tell I'm still up the air about Shivering Isles, I have to really torture people to complete a quest? It is beautiful, but it is just as strange.

Edit-add on: Well I’ve complete the main quest of Shivering Isles and I was wrong. The people are still completely nuts, but it was a blast. A little predictable but it was good fun. I’ve decided to stick around and explore the area a little more before venturing back to Cyrodiil. Sorry for doubting your advise/comments Stoffe, Shivering Isles was worth the purchase price and the time.

Still have one complaint, these people cannot dance.
 SilentScope001
10-17-2007, 4:06 PM
...Must aid Stoffe, the new god of chaos...

Ahem. There is a new offical and free Obivilion plugin (for PC currently) that allows you to take over your very own kingdom and have your own private army. I hereby offer this to you, stoffe, so that you can launch your schemes of evil and mayhem...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_plugins_fightersstronghold.html)
 stoffe
10-17-2007, 4:42 PM
Ahem. There is a new offical and free Obivilion plugin (for PC currently) that allows you to take over your very own kingdom and have your own private army. I hereby offer this to you, stoffe, so that you can launch your schemes of evil and mayhem...

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/73/ss001response5uo6.gif)

A fighter stronghold mod? I play as a fighter/mage/rogue jack of all trades and not a pure fighter though. But I guess if I can do the Guild quests this would work too.

Not playing Oblivion at the moment, but I will have a look at the mod when I do so next time. Thanks. :)
 mimartin
10-17-2007, 4:42 PM

You are my hero SilentScope001, I've been too busy with Halo3 to notice and to think I almost missed the free week on 360.
After all, aside for being free to download in Xbox LIVE for the first week, it's also the developers' last official contribution to Oblivion content. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :clap2:
 swphreak
10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
And you know what, I could swear that it's free on XBLM as well. I need to download it. I ended up rebuying Oblivion (the Game of the Year edition, so great deal), and plan to restart and finish the game this time. Hopefully there won't be any really annoying bugs or glitches this time around.

I'm only about an hour into the game but it feels like it's better than last time (which is probably just psychological). I just wish I could still do the "killing that guy and stealing his gold nonstop trick," but they removed that in one of the patches didn't they?
 mimartin
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I gave up Halo3 and went back to Oblivion for a visit after downloading “Fighter’s Stronghold.” It is a simple short add on much like “The Thieves Den” or “The Wizard’s Tower.” It adds another place to lay your weary head after a long day fighting the lawless and the creatures of Cyrodiil. One of better parts of the “Fighter’s Stronghold” (IMO) is it adds a NPC that will make stuffed animals for you to cuddle with on those cold Cyrodiil nights; I have the entire set now. Heard rumor of a treasure room, but if I found it I was sorely disappointed in the “so-called” treasure. I’ll say it was a nice add on, especially considering the price of being free.
 swphreak
10-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah it turns out I missed my chance to get it for free. It was only 150 points (and I had some left over), so it wasn't too bad. Has anyone tried the other stuff? What's this Orrery and Wizard's Tower like?
 mimartin
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
The “Wizards Tower “ is the best. The best thing about it is it gives you an enchanting and spellmaking alters without joining the Mages Guild. Just cost you some gold to make them functional. A little out of the way to be your main storage area, but the alters and the botanical garden for all your Alchemy needs make it worth the price.

The Orrery was a nice short quest to restore the Orrery at the Arcane University. Cool visual effects once completed, but little more (IMO), allows you to boost one stat, but at the cost of another.

The only one I have not tried is the “The Vile Lair.”
 Aash Li
12-16-2007, 7:02 PM
So I installed Oblivion. And I finally got to see the opening movie, and its SO pretty! Everything is nicely rendered. Only problem is, my mouse is sluggish.

I suppose I should say I got new parts. Motherboard, video card, 1gig ddr2 memory, and processor. Now I just need a new case, and another gig of ram. :3
Page: 2 of 2