Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

.utc files

Page: 1 of 1
 gharidos
05-18-2007, 4:58 AM
where can i find the .utc files of the bosses (jedi masters and the sithlords)?
 Purgatorio
05-18-2007, 5:29 AM
If you have Kotor Tool. You can find the utc files by opening "BIFs", then Templates.bif, then Blueprint, Character.
 stoffe
05-18-2007, 6:31 AM
where can i find the .utc files of the bosses (jedi masters and the sithlords)?

The "bosses" you fight are usually local templates located within the RIM files (with the _s suffix) for the module they occur in.

Be aware that for at least KOTOR 2 many of their UTC templates appear to have been copy&pasted and as such have non-unique names and would cause trouble if put in the override folder. In those cases you'll have to put them back into the module RIM file after you've modified them. You can use FindRefs to check if the name of the UTC file is unique or if it is used in multiple modules.
 Purgatorio
05-18-2007, 7:49 AM
The "bosses" you fight are usually local templates located within the RIM files (with the _s suffix) for the module they occur in.

Be aware that for at least KOTOR 2 many of their UTC templates appear to have been copy&pasted and as such have non-unique names and would cause trouble if put in the override folder. In those cases you'll have to put them back into the module RIM file after you've modified them. You can use FindRefs to check if the name of the UTC file is unique or if it is used in multiple modules.
The BIFs has templates of Malak which I assume can be used as a puppet or whatever is possible, so how are the RIMs utc template files different?
I was just looking at the Hologram of Bastila utc in Rims, and from what I can tell it has the same Class, Feats etc as the Character blueprint template in Bifs. But I can't find the Bastila utc in Bifs to compare with Rims, so Bifs are generic character templates? But then why is Malak there? :(
 stoffe
05-18-2007, 8:09 AM
The BIFs has templates of Malak which I assume can be used as a puppet or whatever is possible, so how are the RIMs utc template files different?
I was just looking at the Hologram of Bastila utc in Rims, and from what I can tell it has the same Class, Feats etc as the Character blueprint template in Bifs. But I can't find the Bastila utc in Bifs to compare with Rims, so Bifs are generic character templates? But then why is Malak there? :(

The templates in the BIF data are global blueprints, presumably used for a "palette" in the designer toolset, representing generic base lines for different types of NPCs and creatures.

A designer could then use that template as a base to make a module specific template copy that's adjusted for use in that module (with things like other scripts assigned, different stats or equipment, different dialogs assigned, different Tags etc).

Some NPCs, like party members, have no module specific templates, and as such the global data in the BIF files is used directly.

The problem with editing module specific templates and putting them in the override folder comes when there are two module specific templates with the same file name found in different modules. A module specific template is only valid while that module is loaded; if the player is elsewhere in the game it does not exist. Thus you can have identically named UTC files in two different modules since they are never loaded at the same time.

Files put in the override folder however are global, just like the data found in the BIF files. They are always available no matter where in the game the player is. The problem in this case with the override folder is that, as the name suggests, resources found here overrides resources with the same name found elsewhere in the game (module specific RIM files, BIF files etc). Thus an UTC template put in the override folder will replace UTC templates with the same name found in all modules in the game, essentially discarding any changes made to those templates.

This is extra noticeable in KOTOR 2 where the developers seems to have copy&pasted module specific templates between modules to use as a base for similar objects, changed them to something else but left the file names as they are. A common example is the file n_darthtraya001.utc: a file with this name exists in both the Telos Academy module and the Trayus Core module. In the first it contains the character template for Atris, in the second it contains the character template for Darth Traya. Put either of those files in the override folder, and that character will appear in both locations, breaking the cutscene in the place she does not belong. :)

The game's priority list for loading resources seem to be like:
override folder
save game
RIM/MOD/ERF files
KEY/BIF global data

Resources with the same name and type found in places higher on the list will override/replace those found in lower places.
 gharidos
05-18-2007, 11:41 PM
ok so thats why when i placed the n_darthtraya001.utc, i encounter atris in the trayus core.

isnt it that darth traya's stats will be similar to how you level up kreia or is it just the force powers and feats?

i saw a n_darthtraya.utc in the BIFs>templates.bif>Blueprint,Character...is that the file for the one at the trayus core?

how do i know which is which?
 GeorgNihilus
05-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Pay attention on Stoffe's post :) , you can't use either files n_darthtraya001.utc extracted from 904MAL_s.rim (Darth Traya in the final battle) or from 262TEL_s.rim (Atris as DarthTraya in the Secret Academy in Telos), because if u modify Atris .utc you'll affect the DarthTraya (Kreia) in Malachor... BUT you can modify Atris stats when fighting the handmaiden (n_darthtraya002.utc from 262TEL_s.rim) to increase Atris fighting stats against the handmaiden without affecting Kreia... OR you can increase Kreia's .utc for the last battle (n_darthtraya001.utc from 904MAL_s.rim) and drop the resulting .utc in Override AFTER ending Telos Academy level (but you have to do it manually... and remove the file from Override before playing a new game or you'll affect Atris in the next new game...) that's what I do with my increased Kreia (Traya).
And yes, there's a general n_darthtraya.utc file in BIFs>templates.bif>Blueprint>char but for what I know the game reads the others... I think...

hope it helps
Page: 1 of 1