Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

the end of the Athlon...

Page: 1 of 1
 stingerhs
05-14-2007, 3:43 PM
...has nothing to do with Intel. well, superficially at any rate.

AMD is renaming their mainstream processor lineup to "Phenom", and their dropping the "64" moniker as they no longer feel that its necessary.

anyways, more info here. (http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32013/135/)
 Q
05-15-2007, 3:21 AM
The end of an era, sort of like when Intel finally dropped the Pentium name.

Given that this is a totally new architecture for AMD, the name change might be appropriate in this case. If I remember correctly, all of the Athlons including the K8 had a lot in common with one another. Farewell to the name, but not to the memories of Athlon's initial equality with, and eventual complete mastery over the Pentium 4.:(

Let's hope that Phenom lives up to it's name. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will.
 Astrotoy7
05-16-2007, 6:10 AM
The end of an era, sort of like when Intel finally dropped the Pentium name.

Given that this is a totally new architecture for AMD, the name change might be appropriate in this case. If I remember correctly, all of the Athlons including the K8 had a lot in common with one another. Farewell to the name, but not to the memories of Athlon's initial equality with, and eventual complete mastery over the Pentium 4.:(

Let's hope that Phenom lives up to it's name. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will.

ooh....nice!! now I can bore and annoy people with the details of my upcoming quad core phenom build

mtfbwya
 tk102
05-16-2007, 11:13 AM
No Astro. We haven't yet mourned over the demise of the DEC Alpha. :cry6:
 Q
05-16-2007, 4:57 PM
Actually since AMD aquired several of DEC's engineers when DEC folded, the technological legacy of the Alpha lives on in AMD processors. It's one of the reasons why the Athlon was so great.
 urluckyday
05-17-2007, 3:24 PM
Good Riddance is all I can say.
 Astrotoy7
05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Good Riddance is all I can say.

If you are a beleagured athlon xp user, sure.... but that athlon 64s have simply been a pleasure to work with. Repeat after me you intel minion:

cool n quiet

and again :)

cool n quiet

>>>because thats what they are.

I was at a LAN tourney last week...in a tech support type of role... 6 hours in, not one c2d on stock cooling was below 50C. Players with AMD chips from the 3800+ to the x2 6000+ and FX chips... were still hovering at 38-40C... simply amazing. The only c2ds that made it to these temps after that duration were swimming in a lake of coolant :D

mtfbwya
 urluckyday
05-18-2007, 3:45 PM
Just because intel makes better processors doesn't mean I'm a minion...
 stingerhs
05-19-2007, 2:05 AM
^^^^
since when??? oh, wait, you're referring to the Core 2's over the Athlon's. right. gotcha. i can see where a new generation of processors can beat out the old generation. kind of like comparing a 2007 Corvette to a '67 Mustang 302, right??

still, i find it funny that until the Core 2's came out that the Athlons absolutely pwnd the Pentiums all the way till the end, and lets also not forget that . if anything, the Core 2 probably saved Intel from losing a lot a ground to AMD in the processor market. heck, i still find it hilarious that the Athlon X2 6000+ beats out the Core2 E6600 in both price and performance. actually, on a performance per dollar ratio, the Athlon X2 6000+ is still a clear choice over any of the Core 2's.

my only thought on your comments is this: what will you be saying over the next couple of months after the Phenom series of processors is released?? since i'm highly doubting that Intel is still going to be on top performance-wise, i'm thinking that you'll definitely be an Intel minion if you're still trying to push the Core 2 processors as the superior product.

and, for the record, that is probably the geekiest post i've ever made. :rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1