Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Well, I finally broke down and did the unthinkable!

Page: 1 of 1
 Q
05-14-2007, 4:42 AM
I bought an LCD.:D

Office Depot has a sale going on and I just couldn't resist the opportunity to leave the 20th Century behind, so I pulled the trigger.

This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094) is the one that I got. Since this is a cheaper TN panel I was rather concerned about the quality, having read plenty of horror stories about viewing angles, banding, backlight bleeding, ghosting, dead pixels and such, but I've yet to find anything wrong with this panel that I can't live with especially for the price (it was $200.00US after rebate). It does well in games and it's HUGE compared to what I was using before. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good, cheap, larger panel.

You can gloat now, Astro.:xp:
 ChAiNz.2da
05-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Grats Q! the LCD world is a nice, bright and crisp place.. glad to have you aboard ;) Helluva price too.. :eek: I'm jealous.. hehehe

I'm using Dell's 24' widescreens (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335). As much as a mac fanboi that I am, Dell's monitors blow the Apple Cinemas away... see, even mac nuts can convert(ish) >.>

But I agree, I had heard the horror stories when first converting over from my CRT's and was very hesitant over switching over. In fact, if it wasn't for work (where we have to use LCD's) I probably would still be using my old crusty monitors :xp:

Getting to work with one before buying really helped my decision... but for others who don't have the opportunity, take it from other LCD users.. you won't regret it ;)
 tk102
05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I've been LCD for about 5 years now and can't even remember what it's like to look at a CRT all day. I don't think I could stand not having the precious real estate that is desk space that I've grown to love. Not to mention ease of moving an LCD around compared to a CRT. Of course they uses less power too. I have maybe one dead pixel -- eh, can't find it anymore. And in regards to banding, bleeding, and ghosting, I've never experienced that.

Maybe it's because it's been such a long time since I've used a CRT, but I don't really understand why anyone would be hesitant to buy an LCD at this point. Is it fear of the unknown? From your post, Q, and ChAiNz's, it sounds like you're not missing much from the CRT at this point. :)
 Q
05-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm using Dell's 24' widescreens. As much as a mac fanboi that I am, Dell's monitors blow the Apple Cinemas away... see, even mac nuts can convert(ish) >.>
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about those Dells. The prices that I've seen advertised on those Apple Cinemas are outfrigginrageous and the Dells beat them soundly there. It's good to hear that they perform better as well.

I don't know about the Dells, but with these 22" TN panels you have to be willing to play what is notoriously known as the "panel lottery" when purchasing an Acer or Samsung, since the same models can have panels from different manufacturers with varying degrees of quality. That's just one reason why I think it's a good idea to buy a monitor at a store instead of ordering one online. If it has flaws or if you just don't like it, you can always take it back for exchange or refund without paying shipping.

I think that I lucked out and got a good one the first time around, though.:) And Astro was correct when he said that LCD's are easier on the eyes, especially when reading text, which I do a lot of. I'm very pleased with it so far.

Now I just need to scrape enough scratch together to build a new computer to go with it.:D

And in regards to banding, bleeding, and ghosting, I've never experienced that.
The banding and bleeding are drawbacks generally attributed to TN panels, as is a limited viewing angle. The panel I got has all three of these, but not nearly as bad as I thought they would be. The banding (getting slightly darker as you go from bottom to top), is only really noticeable on dark screens (like LF:xp: ), the backlight bleed is only noticeable when the screen is mostly black (like at startup and when Windows goes to screen-saver, and it's very slight at that), and the viewing angle is fine if you have the monitor at the right height on your desk and set at the right degree of tilt. As far as the ghosting goes, TN panels are actually one of the best LCDs in this respect, as they generally have the best response times. And there is no noticeable input lag at all.

These are all imperfections that I'm more than willing to put up with to avoid spending 2-3 times as much on a better (AS-IPS) panel.
 stingerhs
05-14-2007, 1:04 PM
well, i use two ol' venerable 19" CRT monitors, and i certainly don't mind. they're both about 10 years old, and they still put out a great picture. the best part is that they didn't cost me a dime. :xp:
 ChAiNz.2da
05-14-2007, 1:12 PM
Maybe it's because it's been such a long time since I've used a CRT, but I don't really understand why anyone would be hesitant to buy an LCD at this point. Is it fear of the unknown? From your post, Q, and ChAiNz's, it sounds like you're not missing much from the CRT at this point. :)
Indeed. Not once have I missed them, though they're still taking up floorspace until I can either sell, give or properly dispose of them :xp:

As for the hesitancy... for me (this was several years ago as well) was because LCD's were new to the market. During that period there was much more reported dead pixels, poor refresh rates, viewing problems depending on angle, etc.

Nowadays, yeah.. those are things, for the most part, part of the past. But like you, I've been using LCD's for a time now. Back then (gadz I sound like my father)... the story was different so the switch for me was a very timid, baby-step approach.

Since then I've gone through the Apple Cinema, then on to the bigger and better Dell :)
 Astrotoy7
05-16-2007, 6:06 AM
lolz....what will you do with all that extra free space now !! maybe a nice plush sofa ?? :D

mtfbwya
 CLONECOMMANDER501
05-17-2007, 7:06 PM
Do good monitors enable faster gaming?
 Astrotoy7
05-18-2007, 11:31 AM

The older LCD monitors had a slower refresh rate and showed scanning/refresh lines a bit more markedly.

current LCDs have much quicker refresh rates, plus software is now written with such displays increasingly in mind: eg. widescreen modes, v-sync setting :)

dammit I hope EA bring 1360x768 to their sports games this year ! (well at least FIFA 08 anyway!!)

astro
 RoxStar
05-20-2007, 7:19 PM

Not in the way that you're thinking.

I'm holding out for a super large one, for video/photo editing. I like that Acer one you got, but the name Acer normally is a synonym for "junk" in my mind. So if I can be persuaded, I may purchase one.
Page: 1 of 1