Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Book Club selection for May/June: Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno

Page: 1 of 1
 Jae Onasi
04-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Could everyone post here if they're making the commitment to read and discuss these books? I'll add people to the master list of participants.

I thought May 13 (Sunday) would be a good time to begin the 'official' discussion of Paradise Lost, but I imagine we can share interesting things well before then if we all like. Anyone else have any suggestions on what they want to see or do in the discussions or readings?
 EnderWiggin
04-19-2007, 6:40 AM
I'm game!

Paradise Lost, May 13.

_EW_
 Jae Onasi
04-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Current reader list for Paradise Lost:
Bimmerman (after finals)
Ender
Jae
JediMaster12
Mr_BFA
Qliveur
Samuel

and I'm having a brain cramp on the rest of the folks from the other thread because I'm dog tired tonight. :) Post here, I'll add you to the list.
 Bimmerman
04-21-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm in after finals; I have less than zero time until then(3 weeks).
 Q
04-21-2007, 2:37 AM
Count me in!:)
 Samuel Dravis
04-21-2007, 4:17 AM
I found Paradise Lost in my old english lit textbook, so I guess I will try to tear myself away from Pratchett for a bit.. :D
 The_Catto
05-02-2007, 1:40 AM
Sounds good. I'll make sure i pick up the book next time I am downtown.
 Jae Onasi
05-02-2007, 1:44 AM
Anyone having any trouble with Milton's language? It's archaic in some spots. However, it flows decently once you get used to reading it.
 ET Warrior
05-02-2007, 2:34 AM
OOooooooooooooo, a book club eh...Once graduation is over I'm game to start in the festivities. So...I guess I'll miss out on this one.
 Jae Onasi
05-02-2007, 2:42 AM
No worries. If you get some free time in June feel free to join in on the Dante's Inferno discussion.
 Samuel Dravis
05-02-2007, 2:52 AM
Some thoughts on Paradise Lost from the chatroom:

[815] Samuel Dravis (05/02 01:17:36 | UTC-5)
It's not that I have an incredible amount of trouble understanding what he's saying, it's just that he takes half the page to say one sentence...

[5] Jae Onasi (05/02 01:17:55 | UTC-5)
Yep, he does.

[815] Samuel Dravis (05/02 01:19:47 | UTC-5)
like several are embedded inside of it too. :p

pain in hell (like the wrath of the gods it burns their feet cruelly ( those feet are really something, they are so beautiful ( beautful like the angels cast down from heaven ( praise god for creating all things, even bad angels (I hope he's listening to this book)))))))))))

[815] Samuel Dravis (05/02 01:20:18 | UTC-5)
have to go back to the beginning to get what he's actually saying :D
 Jae Onasi
05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Hehe.
BTW, I've found I've had to stop reading all the footnotes as I read along. Now I read a page at a time and then go back to the footnotes to make sure I've got the intent properly of some of the more obscure references/word definitions. Otherwise, I found I lost my place in the middle of a sentence and it made it way too choppy.

Some questions I've already thought of while reading Milton (and having read The Inferno about 20 years back).

Different and similar views/concepts of hell
Different views of Satan and what he can/can't do
How Dante's Catholicism and Milton's Protestantism affects their conception of Hell
How demons are conceptualized by both authors
Does Milton's English background and Dante's Italian background affect their conceptions of Hell?
Similarities in Hell in the 2 books
Who has Dante put in Hell and why? As my prof said, what better place than hell to put your enemies?
Whose imagery of Hell do you like better and why?
Whose imagery of Satan do you like better and why?

Feel free to add more questions of your own--I just tossed those out for people to think about as they read along.
 Jae Onasi
05-13-2007, 9:18 AM
OK, I had a brain cramp and forgot that May 13 was Mother's day. Can we move the opening for disucussion to the 15th? My kids want to spoil me today. :)
Page: 1 of 1