Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

a question (re: launchers)

Page: 1 of 1
 axel
04-13-2007, 10:12 PM
hey can any one tell me how ot make a launcher AND why dosent any one use the whole song for some launchers? i have all the songs full lenghth

:blast5:

Mod note: I assume this is about how to modify the launcher application for TSL to have a different appearance and background music, so I've cleaned it up for the occasion and moved it to the modding forum instead where you've got a better chance for an answer. If this is incorrect please let me know. :) ~M
 stoffe
04-15-2007, 2:25 PM
Hey, can anyone tell me how to make a launcher? And why doesn't anyone use the whole song for some launchers? I have all the full length songs.

If you mean a game launcher for KOTOR the files are located in the launcher folder within your main KOTOR game folder. In the standard setup the BMP files here contain the images used for the background and buttons, the background.wav file contains the background music played when the launcher is displayed and click.wav is the sound made when the user clicks one of the buttons.

The launcher.ini file is the one that ties it all together. Here the names of the images and sounds can be changed, and you can change the position of the various buttons and text elements on the launcher screen (X, Y coordinates in pixels from the top left corner of the launcher window). You can edit this file with notepad.

As for why some launchers don't use long versions of background music that depends, though I can imagine it has to do with copyright issues if they use copyrighted songs.
 InyriForge
04-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Most people don't use full-length songs because it (a) takes up a lot of unnecessary space, and (b) who has their launcher open for 5 minutes? Get winamp. :p

I'd love to agree with stoffe and suggest that people are concerned with copyright violations, but my experiences suggest that's usually the last thing on people's minds. :/
 axel
04-17-2007, 6:59 PM
how do i edit the launcher .. make a new one...... add song.. add click noise... can i do it with kotor tool? if so tell me how
 Adelphus
04-17-2007, 9:01 PM
You don't need Kotor tool to edit launchers. Theres a sub folder called launcher in your Kotor/Kotor II root directory. In there are the images used for the launcher and the launcher .ini file. Within the .ini are all the properties of the launcher. You can change the images, sounds and button coordinates as I recall.

In case you didn't understand the folder structure would be:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR[2]\launcher

Or as I just noticed Stoffe explained it ::face palm::
 axel
04-18-2007, 8:04 PM
i did a launcher in paintshop.. but uhh.. how do i make it a valid BMP file fooorr the background

and how do you add the buttons
 Adelphus
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
To make it a .bmp, you save it as a .bmp under your save option. And as for buttons. You don't add them with the traditional launcher, buttons are just another .bmp as I recall that is in the same folder. Button placement is controlled via settings in the .ini file.

Hope this has helped you.
Page: 1 of 1