Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[NWN2] Module Competition

Page: 1 of 1
 Pavlos
04-06-2007, 5:32 AM
Source (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=557800&forum=109)

Obsidian Entertainment is pleased to announce its first Community Mod-Making contest.

For each mod-making contest there will be a theme, such as “The April Fool.” Each mod entered into this contest will involve the theme in some way. For “The April Fool” you might make a module about a court jester or a comedy. Maybe you might just make a silly mod, or perhaps you will make a dark mod about someone being fooled into giving up their fortune, their love or their soul.

For this first contest, the theme will be “Grimm’s Fairy Tales.” The final day to submit modules will be Monday, April 30th at noon Pacific Time.

You can remake one of Grimm’s Fairy Tales or do anything else as long as your mod has something to do with the theme.

Here are the rules for the contest:

1. All work submitted must be your own, with the following exceptions: You can use anything already submitted on Neverwinter Vault (http://nwvault.ign.com) as of the date of the contest announcement (you cannot use anything submitted to the vault after the contest is announced). You can ask for advice in the Toolset, Scripting or Custom Content forums, but no one can do any of the mod-making for you.

2. A document explaining your module must be included as a ReadMe. It should be no more than one page in length.

3. Each module must contain two to five areas. You must have at least one interior and one exterior. One of the exterior areas may be up to 24x24 in size, but the rest of the exterior areas may not exceed 16x16.

4. Modules should have at least 30 minutes, but no more than two hours of gameplay.

5. Entries should be uploaded to Neverwinter Vault on or before the declared end of the contest so that others may see your work. The module must be identified as a contest submission. Links to your module should also be placed in the thread (this thread) announcing the contest to make it easier for people to find them.

6. The winners will be announced about 30 days after the end of the contest. The contest will be judged by the community (voting on the vault) and by the Neverwinter Nights 2 Live team.

7. Have fun!

We have some great prizes lined up for the winners! I can’t wait to see what your imaginations cook up.

Rob

I most likely won't be taking part, a combination of being very busy and not liking the topic in question. I just thought I would post here for any NWN2 players/modders who operate outside the main community.
 stoffe
04-06-2007, 8:12 AM
Source (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=557800&forum=109)

II most likely won't be taking part, a combination of being very busy and not liking the topic in question. I just thought I would post here for any NWN2 players/modders who operate outside the main community.

Interesting. It would have been better if they made the Toolset actually usable without pulling out your hair before doing official mod making contests, in my opinion. I'm holding off any serious NWN2 modding until the tools are patched up enough that they don't constantly grate on your sanity while using them. :)

Judging by earlier Mod contests for NWN1 that Bioware has held these contents usually don't produce the best quality modules either since the time you have to work is too short to produce anything more advanced.

Still, it will be interesting to see if this helps the NWN2 modding community get started better. It's had a fairly rocky and slow start so far compared to its predecessor.
 Gargoyle King
04-06-2007, 2:59 PM
Are the Never-Winter-Nights games any good? I love Kotor, but have never experienced NWN. Would you recommend this game for a Kotor fan and are theere any good mods for the game?
 Jeff
04-06-2007, 4:09 PM
Are the Never-Winter-Nights games any good? I love Kotor, but have never experienced NWN. Would you recommend this game for a Kotor fan and are theere any good mods for the game?They're great games. I've just started NWN2 and I vastly enjoyed NWN. And they both have mods available to them, though the NWN2 modding community isn't the greatest from what I've seen so far.
 Pavlos
04-06-2007, 5:34 PM
They're great games. I've just started NWN2 and I vastly enjoyed NWN. And they both have mods available to them, though the NWN2 modding community isn't the greatest from what I've seen so far.

The modding community is active... just not as active as it was when NWN was this old. It's sequel-syndrome, really. There is a viable alternative to Neverwinter Nights 2 in the form of its predecessor. I've no doubt that people will slowly migrate over to the second game as support is phased out for the first and patches come for the second.

I didn't much enjoy the stock Neverwinter Nights OC... it was a little bland for my tastes - definitely one of BioWare's weaker releases. NWN2's OC is much better, in my opinion. The impression you get from the second game is that it is a CRPG with the added bonus of a toolset - rather than a toolset with the added bonus of a CRPG.
 Gargoyle King
04-06-2007, 5:43 PM
The modding community is active... just not as active as it was when NWN was this old. It's sequel-syndrome, really. There is a viable alternative to Neverwinter Nights 2 in the form of its predecessor. I've no doubt that people will slowly migrate over to the second game as support is phased out for the first and patches come for the second.

I didn't much enjoy the stock Neverwinter Nights OC... it was a little bland for my tastes - definitely one of BioWare's weaker releases. NWN2's OC is much better, in my opinion. The impression you get from the second game is that it is a CRPG with the added bonus of a toolset - rather than a toolset with the added bonus of a CRPG.

Well, would you recommend i just give them a miss and stick to Kotor which is still very much alive and kicking?
 Emperor Devon
04-06-2007, 8:23 PM
Well, would you recommend i just give them a miss and stick to Kotor which is still very much alive and kicking?

NWN1 I wouldn't bother playing, but I'd definitely get NWN2 if I were you. The OC is quite a bit of fun, and the toolset, for all its faults, is better than the one for NWN1 IMO. With interest in the first game dying out and Obsidian being busy with patches (or possibly expansion packs?) for the second, there should be a lot of fan-made modules out soon.

KotOR is far from alive and kicking anyway. With Mass Effect and NWN2, the second game has lot of interest (even with the TSLRP). The first one has much less. It's only a matter of time until it dies completely IMO - I've noticed a lot less mods coming out for them, and most of the ones that do are very simple ones.
 Jae Onasi
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Jimbo's having fun with NWN, and I've been enjoying NWN2 very much--almost as much as K1 and 2 (and that's only because I _love_ the SW universe).
Jimbo got the World Editor guide for NWN2, which helps with the modding.
 Arбtoeldar
04-06-2007, 10:45 PM

I would highly recommend NWN1 Diamond edition and NWN2.

The Hordes of Undertide Expansion Pack for NWN1 is worth the money alone. I thought that the OC for NWN1 was decent. Plus all of the great SP mods.
Page: 1 of 1