Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

psychonauts won't start - black screen

Page: 1 of 1
 purplemonk
03-28-2007, 10:54 PM
hi,

I just purchased psychonauts from steam and I can't play it. When I start it I get audio but the screen is completly black I can alt-tab out of it and when I hit certain buttons it sounds like the character jumps or something.

The read me that came with the game looks like it came from 1.04 the latest patch.

I have a Geforce 6800 GS with up to date 93.71 drivers, and an Athalon XP 3200 running windows xp.

I have a 20" widescreen monitor but it should just stretch odd resolutions if it needs to.

There seems to be no way to adjust any settings from outside the game, even in the INIs.
I've tried removing all unnecessary running programs before launching psychonauts (i.e. virus protection) to no avail.

Does anyone have this issue? any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

Dan
 Poopdogjr
03-30-2007, 12:55 AM
I wish I could help you. But I'm not too computer savy. I have no idea what that would be. Maybe the Steam forums, or the Doublefine website itself might be more helpful. Sorry I couldn't do more. Let us know what happens.
 purplemonk
03-31-2007, 9:56 PM
well I tried playing it again today and now it works. I had previously tried rebooting and it didn't fix it so I have no idea what was wrong, or why it spontaneously fixed itself.

Needless to say this was probably due to some strange set of circumstances in my computer and is unlikely to be a problem for other people.

still steam doesn't have any technical support forums for this game, and majesco doesn't any more either (or for any game it seems). That is why I came here.

anyway thanks, I'm enjoying the game now

the purplemonk
 martmeister
03-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Who knows? I had a somewhat similar issue a few days ago: was playing C&C3, alt-tabbed out for a min (prev did it just fine) then when I got back in, screen was completely black even though sound worked fine. I had a black screen regardless of trying to alt-tab or go to taskmanager.

My Event Viewer showed "The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop" but the game's played fine since.

Luckily, Psychonauts hasn't given me a problem. I've installed it on my laptop, too, but either the video on it is too weak or I don't have enough RAM (1 GB installed, including video RAM).
 urluckyday
04-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Believe me...Majesco wouldn't have much for support anymore...they're running on very thin ice right now...economically that is...
Page: 1 of 1