Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Any Tips for Living in A Pretty Hot Globe?

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
03-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Alright. For the basis of this topic, let's assume the warrant: Global warming exist. I don't want this point to be contested, because then you would destroy the whole basis of this topic.

Problem: Few people are doing anything to stop it. (Self-interest, greed, and you know, the fact that it's the OTHER COUNTRIES' fault for polluting so much. ;) )

Solution: Instead of attempting to prevent global warming, we should find some way to deal with global warming. Maybe a task force of people that decide how best to allocate funds to deal with floods, climate change, hurriances, etc. Plus, find some good side-effects of global warming as well, and use them to our advantage (You mean a once cold spot is now inhabitable and can be used as a tourist attraction? Woo-ho!)

I'm just a little disappointed about alarmists saying that global warming should be stopped, instead of saying, "Global warming is going to happen. What now?" I think this debate should be turned towards dealing with the consquences of climate change instead of being blind and attempting to reverse our mistakes. Prevention may be nice, but it might not be pratical, and it could be bad for the economy. So, we should seek for a pallative treatment for dealing with global warming.

Another Problem: How to deal with global warming?

...er...I don't know. This is why this topic is here. How would you as a human deal with global warming? How would you as a politicain, running a nation deal with global warming? How would the many scientists and people recommend is the best way for dealing with global warming? Note the operative word: Deal. Not prevent. I don't think we will be able to prevent global warming, and I think we need to start preparing in case we fail to prevent global warming.
 Dagobahn Eagle
04-07-2007, 8:49 PM
Interesting topic.

Solution: Instead of attempting to prevent global warming, we should find some way to deal with global warming. Maybe a task force of people that decide how best to allocate funds to deal with floods, climate change, hurriances, etc. Plus, find some good side-effects of global warming as well, and use them to our advantage (You mean a once cold spot is now inhabitable and can be used as a tourist attraction? Woo-ho!)The UN's panel on climate change, IPCC (http://www.ipcc.ch/), has been thoroughly researching global warming for years, and have concluded in several reports that the bad effects of global warming by far outweigh the good.

I'm just a little disappointed about alarmists saying that global warming should be stopped, instead of saying, "Global warming is going to happen. What now?"They are. There are tonnes of people working hard on finding ways to minimize the damage global warming is causing. There are more people looking for ways to respond to the damage that will be done. And trust me, there are people who will utilize the positive effects. Wherever there's money to be made, there's people making it.

I think this debate should be turned towards dealing with the consequences of climate change instead of being blind and attempting to reverse our mistakes.

Prevention may be nice, but it might not be pratical, and it could be bad for the economy.I don't think you've got a clear perspective on things.

Global warming is already causing draughts, floods, rising sea levels, natural disasters, and polar ice cap and glacier melting globally. Yes, taking steps to minimize global warming will hurt the economy. But if these steps are not taken, the disastrous effects that are bound to occur will be far, far worse. The rising sea levels alone will require huge sums in refugee aid and securing of coastal cities (by the building of dikes, for example).

So, we should seek for a pallative treatment for dealing with global warming.

Another Problem: How to deal with global warming?OK, my views:
Restrict building in areas subject to natural disasters.
Prepare to handle humanitarian questions - disaster aid, refugees, starvation.
Remembering, for once in human history;), that prevention is worth the money. Prepare for disasters and secure areas at risk.
Establish routines for emergencies such as hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.
 Jae Onasi
04-07-2007, 11:47 PM
As I told my brother-in-law one time--supporting the economy is great, but if no one's alive because we've polluted or overheated the earth so bad that it's killed everything, it's not going to do business much good.
 Scyrone
04-08-2007, 5:14 PM
Or maybe we should just look at the fact that the O-zone layers can rebuild themselves and leave it at there.

Or maybe we should look back 20 years and see what the fuss was about (it was about Global Cooling)

Or maybe we should look back forty years before that and see what all the fuss was about (Global Warming)

Maybe in another 20 years we will see more Global Cooling.
 Dagobahn Eagle
04-08-2007, 5:18 PM
Global warming is an established fact. There's no 'maybe' about it, more than there's a 'maybe' about smoking being hazardous to your health.

Or maybe we should just look at the fact that the O-zone layers can rebuild themselves and leave it at there.Ozone layers have nothing to do with global warming.

Oh, and: 'For the basis of this topic, let's assume the warrant: Global warming exists.'
 Gargoyle King
04-08-2007, 5:31 PM
Global warming is an established fact. There's no 'maybe' about it, more than there's a 'maybe' about smoking being hazardous to your health.

Ozone layers have nothing to do with global warming.[/i]

Yap - Global Warming effects everyone. And for the record, the O-Zone layer does have something to with Global Warming; this is because the increased heat in the planet from the "greenhouse effect" is reacting with the oxygen layers in the O3 or Ozone-Layer (however you prefer to call it), essentially 'tearing' layers in the Earth's atmosphere, thus more of the sun's ultra-violet (harmful) rays are passing throught the Earth's atmosphere creating a thick 'blanket' of Carbon Dioxide which in turn is attracting more heat from the sun and making the matter a whole lot worse. You only have to look at the carbon-dioxide ridden skies of Venus to see that Earth is leaning dangerously close to that sort of condition.

I hear there is another planned expedition to the moon to extract a rare gas called 'Helium 3'. Scientists believe that this gas can be extracted from the moon and refined into a clean, renewable source energy. This is the very reason why the matter of Global Warming i feel is not too important to the major players (i.e. governments) in society at the moment, as a drastic solution but possible is just over the horizon.
 Scyrone
04-08-2007, 5:59 PM
Ozone layers have nothing to do with global warming.

Where have you been? The Ozone layer takes some of the heating rays away from the sun and makes the earth not as hot as it usually is. If it starts to die and go away then the earth becomes warmer and the ice caps start melting and other crap like that. That was the foundation of the argument in the first place.

Oh, and: 'For the basis of this topic, let's assume the warrant: Global warming exists.'

Are you in the right topic? I never said it didn’t exist. I said it exists, but there be no need to fix anything.

And thank you Gargoyle_King.

@Dagobahn: I suggest that next time you want to make bold statements you should back them up
Page: 1 of 1