Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

unable to open input file error

Page: 1 of 1
 Web Rider
03-04-2007, 8:18 PM
So per the advice of the creator of the Hak Pad mod, I am attempting to add the custom sabers from the USM mod to the list(since I've played the game with USM already, now I just want to screw around). However, upon editing the hak_jedi.utm file, and then compiling it as a new hak_jedi.utm, regardless of it it's in the override folder or elsewhere, I continue to get "unable to open input file hak_jedi.utm".

Following the instructions of the previous topic with the same error(though in that case .nss), I have a saved file of hak_jedi.utm with my modifications already existing.

So, same question as before, what's going wrong, why wont it open the file and then compile my new file?

thanks for your help.
 Darth333
03-06-2007, 10:59 AM
The .utm file is in gff format and you can edit it with either Kotor tool's utm editor or tk102's k-gff (which should work, even if Kotor tool gives you an error): http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)
 Web Rider
03-06-2007, 7:51 PM
The .utm file is in gff format and you can edit it with either Kotor tool's utm editor or tk102's k-gff (which should work, even if Kotor tool gives you an error): http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)

er, yes, I know that, that wasnt what I was asking....I was asking for a solution to the error message I'm getting. edit: I do know how to make k-gff work. However it's solution is extremely, extremely, EXTREMLY long, I already wrote up the changes in a utm made into a readable text file. I need to complie that text file into a workable utm. which is what my original question was regarding.

anyway, I dont use kotor tool's gff editor because it won't let me add the USM sabers, And when I attempt to load my modified utm file, it gives me an "out of memory" error.

So my original question still stands, and now with an additional question: why do I get an out of memory error, and why can't I compile my file without getting an error?
 Darth333
03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I am not too sure of how you did this. As far as I remember, you can view gff files in text format with Kotor tool but it is not meant to edit them, only view them. You have to use the .utm editor that comes with kotor tool if you want to do so. And the script compiler can't work with .ut* files, only with .nss files and that's another format.

If you want to work in a text editor, you'll need K-gff: it has an option that allows you to work in xml format and then paste it into k-gff (you can also copy from K-gff and paste into a text editor).
 Web Rider
03-07-2007, 4:57 PM
Well, okay then, so into k-gff now, I see that I can copy from k-gff into a .txt file, but it comes out as a humungously massive block of text.

you say I can edit it like an .xml file, so er, how do I get there since well, neither the instructions for k-gff, nor kotor tool, nor any of the FAQ's/discussion say how to do this.
 tk102
03-07-2007, 7:51 PM
Hi Web Rider. I've read through this thread a number of times and I'm still confused. So let's go back.

You have a .utm file that you want to modify. Now to be clear, .utm files are GFF files, and don't require any sort of compiling unlike .nss files. If you haven't seen this tutorial (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147231), it would be good to take a look at it. It describes how the fields of .utm file should be set up, and since you're just modifying an existing .utm, you'll probably just need to add more Item structures to the ItemList. KGFF can do this fairly easily. Just select an existing Item structure and choose Edit: Copy Structure. Then highlight the ItemList and choose Paste: Struct. Now you have a copy of an existing item. Change the InventoryRes field to be that of one of your new sabers. Repeat as necessary. When you're done save the .utm file in your override.
 Web Rider
03-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Web Rider. I've read through this thread a number of times and I'm still confused. So let's go back.

You have a .utm file that you want to modify. Now to be clear, .utm files are GFF files, and don't require any sort of compiling unlike .nss files. If you haven't seen this tutorial (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147231), it would be good to take a look at it. It describes how the fields of .utm file should be set up, and since you're just modifying an existing .utm, you'll probably just need to add more Item structures to the ItemList. KGFF can do this fairly easily. Just select an existing Item structure and choose Edit: Copy Structure. Then highlight the ItemList and choose Paste: Struct. Now you have a copy of an existing item. Change the InventoryRes field to be that of one of your new sabers. Repeat as necessary. When you're done save the .utm file in your override.

okay, one question: each struct has a number, it's position in line so to speak. If the original ned number is 146, and each new struct I add says "146" as well, will this effect the placement, or will it simply hit 146 and just go from there?

EDIT: got it to work with K-Gff. Apparently the repititions of 146 dont have any effect that I can tell, at least nothing negative.

thanks for all your help!
 tk102
03-08-2007, 9:22 AM
Cool :cool: For some gff files, like .dlg files, the struct ID is very important. Not in this case though it seems. :)
 Web Rider
03-08-2007, 5:31 PM
Cool :cool: For some gff files, like .dlg files, the struct ID is very important. Not in this case though it seems. :)

actually, we'll see, when I first loaded the modded mod on the ebon hawk it worked fine a number of times. When I tried it again only miniutes later on NarShadda, it didnt work.
 Darth333
03-08-2007, 8:52 PM
actually, we'll see, when I first loaded the modded mod on the ebon hawk it worked fine a number of times. When I tried it again only miniutes later on NarShadda, it didnt work.
I don't know what you are trying to do exactly but a merchants inventory is loaded the first time you enter the module if I remember well. So if it was in a module you have already visited in the past, don't be surprised if it didn't worked.
Page: 1 of 1