Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Favorite Game Engine.

Page: 1 of 1
 Johnpp
01-12-2007, 10:55 PM
What's you're favorite Game Engine?

I know it's really old, slow, blocky, everything bad, but I like the Q3 Engine.

Edit: Oh... Almost forgot, I love the Halo engine.
 Carlo El Sanchez
01-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Ummm im not sure if i understand what you mean exactly by game engine, but ill say the Halo engine. i like how its really easy to use weapons and to bash and stuff. I also love the Oblivion engine, FP and Third Person views.
 Johnpp
01-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah, thats what I kinda mostly mean.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-13-2007, 1:57 AM
In terms of capability I'd have to say either Source or Jupiter EX.
 Johnpp
01-13-2007, 2:03 AM
Also, I forgot to mention, you gotta say why you like it.

Favorite game engine's:

Q3 engine
Bungie's Halo engine

Reason:

I like Q3 engine for modding reasons, and I like Halo engine for fun playing.
 VaderChick
01-13-2007, 2:10 AM
My favorite game engine would have to be X-Box...waiit...?
 Johnpp
01-13-2007, 2:14 AM
Ummm... By game engine we mean, uhhh, A way to describe it!

EX:

Quake 3 engine is a game engine, the original engine was for Quake 3, but then Star wars jedi academy used the same engine, but tweaked it slightly to make it more star wars like.

A lot of other games have used the Q3 engine, but to be honest, the Q3 engine really is not the best 3d engine out there, infact I only like it becuase of editing reasons, not playing reasons.
 VaderChick
01-13-2007, 2:15 AM
Ohh, so its like how you once got LOTR on JKA...am I right?

Oh well, goes to show what I know!!
 Johnpp
01-13-2007, 2:18 AM
Well, I know people working on a LOTR mod, but it aint' dont yet.
 Carlo El Sanchez
01-13-2007, 3:20 AM
It's obvious why Halo's engine is so good, but i forget to mention more reasons on why Oblivion's is...the graphics are the best graphics on any game so far and i like the FP and Third Person views....but the most of all, its the night and day times and how you can wait and skip these times...not to mention travelling by selecting an area or city on the Cyrodill map.
 Johnpp
01-13-2007, 5:48 AM
Yeah, I heard the Oblivion engine is really good. And that night/day system I am guassing would have been hard to code aswell.
 Sabretooth
01-13-2007, 9:29 AM
The Unreal Engine 3.0. It's cool, it's cutting-edge, it's innovative and finally, it's very versatile.

Gears of War proved that.

+250 cool points to Vaderrocks for most original discussion thread in months.

The Unreal Engines are not only cool, they're extremely adaptable. Republic Commando very closely emulated Halo, there was a successful RTS mod for UT2004, Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War were famed RPGs set in the Unreal Engine, Undying is, IMO the scariest game ever (Unreal Engine, again!) and so forth.
 Ctrl Alt Del
01-15-2007, 8:33 AM
Odyssey, from Kotor! :p

And then, the Unreal is quite good, as well as the Havok, that's being used in a series of game
 Johnpp
01-16-2007, 5:39 PM

Huh? What are points?

And yeah, Unreal's engine was cool.
 Darkkender
02-12-2007, 1:21 AM
I'm very much a fan of the Odyssey engine used by KOTOR 1 & 2 if I could findout who to contact about it I would license the engine to start my career in game development upon. The reasons I like it is because it is because of the easy modability which means it is also easy for those who are not programmers to make content for the game. Also from what I can tell one of the core mechanics is of course the D20 system. The 3D engine itself while possibly not as advanced as others is also a good starting platform. Also the Odyssey engine seems to support a style of Realtime combat that I favor which is a Realtime/Turnbased combo while argued at another forum as Realtime with pause the Kotor games actually possess the best of both Realtime and turnbased from my own observation of the game.

However just a note on game engines everybody. A game engine itself is not what defines perspective inside the game. Infact a good example would be the Gamebryo engine which is the Game Engine Oblivion is built upon. This same game engine is used by Civilization 4. Oblivion is a FPP while Civ 4 is an Isometric viewpoint. Also you will note Pblivion is Realtime while Civ 4 is turnbased.
 Boba Rhett
02-12-2007, 1:42 AM
I gotta go with the Sith engine! :3pdance:*

* = Bonus point to whomever gets the vague MOTS reference.
 primalunderdog
02-12-2007, 8:45 AM
The Unreal Engine 3.0. It's cool, it's cutting-edge, it's innovative and finally, it's very versatile.

Gears of War proved that.

The Unreal Engines are not only cool, they're extremely adaptable. Republic Commando very closely emulated Halo, there was a successful RTS mod for UT2004, Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War were famed RPGs set in the Unreal Engine, Undying is, IMO the scariest game ever (Unreal Engine, again!) and so forth.

Gears of War is a discrace to gaming and balanced gameplay. Did Oblivion run off the unreal engine or a custom engine?

EDIT: nvm Oblivion runs off Gambryo
 stingerhs
02-12-2007, 10:01 AM
CryEngine 2 ftw!!! the engine used in Crysis
 Darkkender
02-12-2007, 4:55 PM
Gears of War is a discrace to gaming and balanced gameplay.

However even if the game is considered by you to be a disgrace to gaming and balance this is not a statement on the 3D engine that powers the game. This is mearly a inability by the developer to provide an implementation that you as a game player are satisfied with. However from demo's of gears of war that I've played at game stores I find it hard to call it a disgrace or even to imply shoddy quality.
 Samnmax221
02-12-2007, 6:03 PM
I'm going to be a bastard and say SCUMM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUMM#Version_8). Although if we're talking modern I'd say Source.
 Johnpp
02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
SCUMM is the engine Monkey Island uses, right? I could not be bothered to click on the link seeing as my internet is going really slow now.
 MrWally
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Source all the way. Definitely one of the most innovative engines for it's time, if you ask me. And after that I'd probably say the Quake 3 engine, because of all the great games that spawned off of it.

:D
 RoxStar
02-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Source trumps at the moment. Unreal 2, Quake 3. In that order.
 Johnpp
02-14-2007, 5:56 AM
I don't know why I did not make this a poll!

Quake 3, three.

Source, three

Oblivion Engine, 2

If I forgot any just post a new list, I am too lazy to make A longer one... :P
 MrWally
02-14-2007, 5:03 PM
While Oblivion is a great game, I despise the engine, mainly because my computer with a 6600GT will sometimes stutter on medium/high settings, while my friends's computer with the exact same specs as mine, but a 6800 plays it flawlessly on highest.
 Darkkender
02-15-2007, 12:54 AM
While Oblivion is a great game, I despise the engine, mainly because my computer with a 6600GT will sometimes stutter on medium/high settings, while my friends's computer with the exact same specs as mine, but a 6800 plays it flawlessly on highest.

Once again this issue can be attributed to the games developer and not the Game Engine. As I mentioned above the Gamebryo Game Engine used by Oblivion is also used by Civilization 4. With my Nividia 5500GEForce-FX I could run Civ 4 with all settings maxed out and never had the graphics choke. Shoot the only reason I upgraded to A 6800GT was because NWN2 refused to run on my 5500. The fact that NWN2 graphics aren't any better than the KOTOR games actually pisses me off because it is caused purely by poor programming on the part of the games developer.

Also your video card is not the only thing that will cause a game to stutter. These things can be caused by insufficient memory or lack of enough virtual memory, or even enough buffer space on your hard drive for temporary game files. Also even if the only difference between specs and settings on your machine is the video card it can also be a result of the onboard hardware of the video card. Many manufacturers have there own additions to video card chipsets to further improve performance beyond the norm or they will include improved video drivers that further optimize the effectiveness of a particular video card.

So what I'm saying is this don't assume that the game engine is crappy because your computer has difficulties with one game. Frequently difficulties with running a game in an optimized fashion are directly results of poor programming by a developer and not the engine that they are using.
 RoxStar
02-18-2007, 6:53 PM
The Gamebryo engine was also (sort of) use on Morrowind. It's the fact that the developer's optimized the game for the the Xbox 360 (6800 graphics card equivelent) and kept a lot of bugs and made the pc version a performance behemoth. They also bloated the engine a lot.
 Sabretooth
02-20-2007, 4:49 AM
EDIT: nvm Oblivion runs off Gambryo

Wow, last I remember, Gambryo was running Civilization IV (and that's one hell of a strategy game!)

Back to GoW, I meant that it was generally well accepted by the public.

AND, seeing how Half-Life 2 is running pretty good on my system, I am inclined to state that the Source engine is very good nonetheless - it offers quality graphics on stupid computers. :D
 primalunderdog
02-23-2007, 9:22 AM
However even if the game is considered by you to be a disgrace to gaming and balance this is not a statement on the 3D engine that powers the game. This is mearly a inability by the developer to provide an implementation that you as a game player are satisfied with. However from demo's of gears of war that I've played at game stores I find it hard to call it a disgrace or even to imply shoddy quality.

Yeah you should try the multiplayer. Thas what I mean by balanced. The SP is pretty dam good I might add.
Page: 1 of 1